Spring is Here: Equinox 2017

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
As I sit looking outside, there are three feet of snow in front of the patio doors.

It's in the low 30s F.

But today marks the Spring equinox.

Other than a brief sighting of Mourning doves a few days ago, I'm not seeing Spring here.

I'm missing crocus, snow drops, pussy willows . . .

What have you got ? Any signs of Spring (or Fall) where you are?

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the Rio Grande Valley in southern Texas. The farmers have already planted their fields, and crops are growing. The thing I have noticed the most in the last couple days, though, is the birds. There are more types of birds now, and the bird song goes on from dawn to dusk. I believe that was my clue that this area is entering spring, more so than the farmers planting their fields.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Any signs of Spring (or Fall) where you are?

Both, actually. The weather has been so all over the place that my camellia bushes are in bloom while, right next to it, a tiny, young hawthorn is full of berries. A few of the oaks have leaves - that have since turned orange.

silverrose77

Registered
Reaction score
We're hitting 70 and sunny today after temps in the teens last week. Awesome.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been springlike here for a month or more (except for a somewhat surprising snow earlier this month). All the trees, shrubs, and flowers have been blooming. Today at 9:45 AM, sunny and 57 degrees.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I woke up sweating, so I know the warm weather is here to stay. Finally! For the past few months the weather kept going back and forth between hot and cold, which was not normal.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wore shorts outside on the weekend. Joggers have returned from Capistrano. Or wherever they go for the winter.

It's spring.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Crocuses are poking a few inches out of the ground and a week ago I noticed the forest in the backyard had begun to develop it's spring-green coat. But out of the few intermittent days the Sun showed its face around here, only one of those days wasn't cold.

Years ago I lived in the mountains near Lake Tahoe. When I moved to Bellingham I was amazed to see Spring grow as I got further down the mountain. It's similar around here in the fall, the higher you go up the mountain, you can watch the leaves turning fall colors like a time lapse recording.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From my midtown Manhattan apartment, I look down on a clump of three trees. There are mourning doves in it fairly consistently (even in snowfall), but I noticed yesterday that tiny red buds are popping out on the branches.

And of course, the real indicator: the tourist foot traffic in the area has picked up considerably. Spring Break is on its way.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in the deep south (relative to Washington state), the '17 Equinox hit on a rare dry day. That's close enough to spring to suit me. :greenie

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
My snowdrops are bloomed out, but the daffodils aren't blooming yet--nearly, though.

My pussy willow does have a nice crop of catkins on it!

We're nearly at 50 F today, which is about right for March in Pittsburgh.

We did have some unseasonable high temps in Feb, so I think we might lose some blossoms on trees, which is a shame.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
It's nearly 80 degrees in Denver today...we missed Spring entirely

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

We're currently in NYC, but just before we left, I noticed our neighbor's forsythia was blooming. Our crocuses came out and got squashed by rain about a month ago.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Currently 87 degrees here, at almost 7pm.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are buds on the apple tree and on the amalanchier, and it feels like the blanket on top of the duvet is no longer necessary at night.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in the deep south (relative to Washington state), the '17 Equinox hit on a rare dry day. That's close enough to spring to suit me. :greenie

Oops! Spoke too soon. We're back to deluge conditions after a brief sunny nod to the equinox.

An elderly man with a long beard is building a huge boat in the neighborhood, collecting pairs of animals, and booking tickets.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Oops! Spoke too soon. We're back to deluge conditions after a brief sunny nod to the equinox.

An elderly man with a long beard is building a huge boat in the neighborhood, collecting pairs of animals, and booking tickets.

Great now I got that song "The animals came in two by two, the monkey and the cobra and the kangaroo" song stuck in my head... :rant:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
We don't have a distinct autumn in my part of the world; it's more a transition between the wet and dry seasons. But we haven't had a real wet season again this year, so :cry:

That aside, the golden emperor cicadas are singing constantly through the day, something they weren't doing in January and February. I think it's their last hurrah. Also the northern greengrocer cicadas are kicking off their chorus earlier in the evening. In January, they started at 7.15pm and now they do it at 6.40pm. (I've been keeping notes.)

GailD

Still chasing plot bunnies.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The trees, here in Jo'burg, haven't begun changing color yet - they usually don't until well into April, but there's a chill in the morning and once the sun's set. It's that cold bite to the air that heralds the onset of autumn. We're in the summer rainfall part of SA and oh boy did we get a lot of it these past few months, along with skies that would stay overcast for weeks at a time. After a 4-year drought, we're grateful for the rain but, sheesh, a little summer heat would have been nice.

But today, there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's a lovely 26C/79F. Perfect! :D

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
We've bounced back and forth as far as weather goes. My daffodils were out a full month early--then lots of them got smashed into the ground by the weight of a heavy snow.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Down here in Cape Town, we're on the verge of autumn after a very hot drought-stricken summer. This is a winter rainfall region of South Africa and the heavy winter rains generally begin just after Easter, in April. The dawns are cooler, smell of woodsmoke and some low-lying mist. Leaves turning red and yellow, but starlings and swallows show no sign yet of heading off to the northern hemisphere.

Linnet_Crawford

Registered
Reaction score
Got a blizzard getting started over here :D. I also wouldn't mind a trip to South Africa right now...