Restoring Files from a Lost Partion

Alexys

Took a wrong turn at the Pleiades
Registered
Reaction score
Don't panic. ;) Free programs for this sort of thing do exist. I can't recommend anything specific as I haven't needed any of this stuff in a very long time, but a quick search on "file recovery free" turned up this list of several: https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-recovery-software-tools-2622893 .

Someone else may have more specific recommendations. And do not, whatever you do, create a new partition covering that part of the disc, as you may overwrite the very information you're trying to salvage.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
My best suggestion for recovering files on a lost partition would to use something like this:

ss-123asd-1.jpg

It's a SATA to USB converter that allows you to take a hard drive that is otherwise unreadable, and mount it as a readable drive for recovering data. There are plenty of manufacturers of these, and the one I own is not the one pictured above - I own a StarTech version I got from Amazon a few years ago. Here's the current one from Amazon if you're interested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D76J1KO/?tag=absowrit-20

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
It does help to know how you're trying to do it and why the files need recovering from what after what. DON'T eff around with any shareware/snareware, you don't need to blow a lot of cash.

Some general remarks: First of all, if you are ever trying to recover deleted files on a drive that is still healthy and running an operating system, do NOT use that drive to save the recovered files to. In fact, don't do anything, including booting up and ransacking the internet for recovery tools and installing stuff. This is guaranteed to overwrite and destroy some recoverable files. The best way to handle this situation is either by using the device shown in the post above to hook the drive up to another computer. OR boot from a live disk (many flavors available free) and save files to a USB stick. Do not use the affected drive for downloading and burning the disk.

Have you tried running chkdisk to repair the partition? I've had some luck with that. When you say you can "see" your files, I'm kind of assuming you are seeing them in the recovery software. Sometimes chkdisk can make the partition work again. I had one recently that it couldn't at first, but after I poked around with various other recovery tools it suddenly was able to make the partion I needed to get at visible again. I've found that Windows Knows Best when it comes to fixing NTFS partitions.

19 Free Data Recovery Software Tools This guy has done a terrific job! I carry a lot of the portable ones on my hackstick.

Five Best Recovery Tools at Lifehacker (only first four recommended)

In the past year+ I've encountered quite a variety of recovery situations, including one poor gal who was trying to get her files into a new computer with a USB stick that turned out to be punky -- and I found that out after she'd deleted all from the old computer. Luckily not very effectively. Windows Boot Brainfart plus HD going bad, cryptovirus, lots of educational stuff. I got 'em all.

Last edited:

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
Let's start with the obvious ...

first of all ^^^ what Matera said! DO NOT USE THAT DRIVE FOR ANYTHING!!! Remove it physically or unplug it for now.

What operating system are you running? Mac? Windows? Linux?
And what Version?

What were you doing or trying to do when you "lost" the partition? What software were you running?