The importance of the Oxford comma:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The NYT also has an article on that case.

I'm a fan of the Oxford comma for a number of reasons, but one is that it lessens the possibility of misunderstanding the sentence. The reader doesn't have to stop and wonder whether the last two items in a sequence are meant to be discrete or a unit.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are a number of hilarious examples which have appeared in print which illustrate Beth's point. I think I copied a few. Let me look.

Yes, there's:
I'm looking for a very large portrait of Donald Trump in a blue tie and a Tim Tebow helmet.
Among those interviewed were his two ex-wives, Kris Kristofferson and Robert Duvall.
Highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector.

Maryn, unable to pick a favorite

Tsu Dho Nimh

Registered
Reaction score
For "global English" I always use it because it minimizes confusion for those whose English needs guideposts and signalling.

TomFoskett

Get your commas here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomfoskett.com
I, too, have always been a little baffled by people who oppose the Oxford Comma.

Maybe I'm missing some key selling point, but it seems to be like on the 'for' side you've got a significant reduction in ambiguity, while on the 'against' side you've got... what exactly? Slightly smoother sentence flow?

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I, too, have always been a little baffled by people who oppose the Oxford Comma.

Maybe I'm missing some key selling point, but it seems to be like on the 'for' side you've got a significant reduction in ambiguity, while on the 'against' side you've got... what exactly? Slightly smoother sentence flow?

It saves ink.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
It is possible to introduce ambiguity by means of an Oxford comma. Taking Maryn's third sentence above:

Highlights of his global tour include encounters with Nelson Mandela, an 800-year-old demigod and a dildo collector

If you add the Oxford comma in, you remove Mr Mandela's dildo collection from consideration, but then the phrase an 800-year-old-demigod could be an appositive describing the famous South African.

Basically, you should check your comma-delimited series for the possibility that they can be misread as appositives. Both of the below sentences are unclear.

I would like to thank my parents, Ayn Rand and God.
I would like to thank my mother, Mother Theresa, and the Pope

Sometimes the best solution is to rephrase; sometimes it's to add or remove a comma.

TomFoskett

Get your commas here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomfoskett.com
That's a good point with appositives. If only bullet points were acceptable in prose, we could all become clear, logical machines and all our problems would be solved!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good point with appositives. If only bullet points were acceptable in prose, we could all become clear, logical machines and all our problems would be solved!

Who says they aren't acceptable in prose?

• They're used in tech writing all the time
  • They're frequently used in non-fiction, particularly academic and instructional prose and textbooks
  • They're used in cookbooks frequently
  • They're often used in news writing

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, but newspapers don't love bullets. I was taught that the necessary white space costs them lots of paper. I wonder if it will change when the local paper is no longer on paper but entirely digital?

(I watched an old movie last night. The size of the daily paper--a weekday, not a Sunday--hand carried from front walk to front door blew me away!)

Maryn, whose paper is smaller every 18 months or so