Urban Fantasy/Paranormal writers

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Happy 16th! Do you want a virtual silver flask or virtual silver locket? :) Or my protag could give you her silver boot tips and double-headed dragon clasp that she uses to hang her boots over her shoulders when she's climbing.
Ohhhhhh yes and yes!!!!

Thanks for all the happy thoughts :) Poor hubby is still at work poor guy has been up since 530am, hopefully he gets home soon. My wonderful mother in law called today offering to take the boys for us to go for supper, such a nice thought she's the best.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pete-I went on the AW amazon and saw your book so I clicked on it, great writing! If I ever get a kindle I'll down load for sure.

Happy Sunday peeps!

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Where is everyone in their wip? Is anyone stuck? I'm stuck but I'm sure I'll work through it. I think I'm confused about where I'm heading.

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the second draft of my WIP. I've got all the notes I've made for the revision; it's just a matter of incorporating them into the scene now.

I did find a Paris guidebook that was published in 1787, so I'm very happy about that.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel-where did you find it? your books sounds so good!

Today woke up with no hydro, school was cancelled because there was no power, so we spent the day at mother in laws and now my daughter is playing board games with her brothers, it's chaos over here :) but I'm happy because all of my fave people are in one room together!

Rachel77

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel-where did you find it? your books sounds so good!

Thank you!

I found it online, actually -- I'd known there were guidebooks out there, but finding them was harder than I'd thought. Google wants to bring back results for current guidebooks, or 19th century guidebooks, or pictures of guidebooks, or people writing in very general terms about 18th century Paris guidebooks (as in, "hey, this is a thing that exists, here are a couple of illustrations from it"). All of which are nice, but not helpful for my purposes. Over the weekend, I was looking up a particular street that no longer exists, and found a webpage that displayed a drawing of it and the name and author of the particular guidebook it came from. Looking up that information got me to the full text.

I love this about historical research, even when it's frustrating -- it's like a treasure hunt, and when you finally find what you're looking for, it feels like you've won a prize.

Today woke up with no hydro, school was cancelled because there was no power, so we spent the day at mother in laws and now my daughter is playing board games with her brothers, it's chaos over here but I'm happy because all of my fave people are in one room together!

It sounds like a nice day, but I hope the power issues get fixed soon!

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rachel- I love researching, it's amazing what you can find on line. I was researching a hole in my genealogy from the late 1800's and after about three hours, BIG thanks to the Church of Latter Day Saints website, I actually found the birth registration, I had looked at the Ministry of Ontario's website and it was impossible to navigate and not user friendly but the LDS site was free and easy, anyways they have on file the micro film from my great-great-great- grandfathers birth so I saw the actual hand written form which was amazing and I won't bore every one with the details, but it solved a huge hole. Now something that took me about 3 hours of searching years ago would have taken months and months. Anyways glad you found something helpful. :)

Today my kids are at school and now I write :)
Happy Wednesday!

phantasy

I write weird stories.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is a cool thread so far!

I'm not sure if my novel is urban fantasy. It might be, as cities do feature heavily into it. It's got dystopian and utopian settings, and might also be paranormal, as my characters do have somewhat atypical super-powers. It's been tough to categorize, so I've just been calling it speculative fiction.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey. :)

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

Ilona Andrews is in a future dystopian Atlanta and it's called UF. Paranormal and UF are so closely linked, but I think many people now associate paranormal with paranormal romance. But, I've noticed more and more UF are getting tucking into paranormal, which is an interesting marketing technique.

SpecFic works. Or maybe contemporary fantasy?

Hi everyone! This is a cool thread so far!

I'm not sure if my novel is urban fantasy. It might be, as cities do feature heavily into it. It's got dystopian and utopian settings, and might also be paranormal, as my characters do have somewhat atypical super-powers. It's been tough to categorize, so I've just been calling it speculative fiction.

Anyway, just wanted to say hey. :)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Phantasy-Welcome :hi: atypical super-powers that sounds very intriguing!

Southpaw-Good to see you, how's everything?

I have discovered a new author(new to me) Alice Hoffman....I have fallen in love with her writing...THAT is how I want to write, I love her descriptive flowing style. I've been desperately searching for paranormal/fantasy authors that can really hook me and she has. I took three of her books out from the library yesterday and finished one this morning, the Story sisters, and now its stuck in my head. I've ordered in Green Witch and Green Angel, I have started reading the Probable Future.

Hope everyone is well. I'll be honest my wip has me confused, I think I was doing too much research on "how" to write YA genre and its just not my style. So I'm back to the drawing board, same characters but the way I write has to change, I need to go back to my original style which is very flowy and descriptive.
Happy Saturday!

ctbelgium

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
"The Chilliwack Fall" by A.J. Block takes place in and around Vancouver, as close to reality as possible, though the main characters have otherworldly powers.

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
"The Chilliwack Fall" by A.J. Block takes place in and around Vancouver, as close to reality as possible, though the main characters have otherworldly powers.

Thanks for the book tip, I'll have to check it out.

It's been quiet in here hope everyone is doing well!

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
*waves* I'm still here. My third book just came out a couple of weeks ago so I've been a bit busy, but still around :)

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations @PeteMC!! That must be exciting.

I finished my first draft and now I suspect my story will have a completely different beginning. Dammit.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
I've been pretty stilted in line by line revisions but I'm trying not to obsess over it

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pete- Congrats!:Clap:

Twisted-Good to see you! Sounds rough!

S.Eli-Sounds tedious....line by line!

I'm in reading mode still, I'm not sure where I want to go and what story I want to tell so I've just been reading, reading, reading :)