Urban Fantasy/Paranormal writers

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so glad you both are posting, I have to go make supper, but I'll be back later to read everything :)

So riddle me this....WHY do I get on a roll when I have to stop mid roll and make dinner:Headbang: I've been at it since 930 am... and I have it figured out and I'm rolling....and bam it's 5pm and for some reason kids always want supper. Ok I'll be back.
I tend to make food that goes really well in the fridge as left-overs. I'm not sure how much I can help you there :(

In the meantime please post a link to the site you are using where you plug in all this character info :)
I've found dozens of sites on the internet for MyersBriggs personalities, and apparently there's no faster way to start a flamewar on D&D forums than to ask with of the conflicting definitions of Alignment everybody uses :D but for inventing and tinkering with characters in my fiction work, I've found that all I really need are the absolute basics :)

Authoritarian, Neutral, Antiauthoritarian
Saintly, Neutral, Sociopathic
Asocial, Social
Theoretical, Practical
Insensitive, Sensitive
Disorganized, Organized

And that's it. No fancy programming necessary (though I have made a chart of the 31 major characters from 4 of my stories, but that's just a Microsoft Word thing I did because I was bored).

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to make food that goes really well in the fridge as left-overs. I'm not sure how much I can help you there :(

I've found dozens of sites on the internet for MyersBriggs personalities, and apparently there's no faster way to start a flamewar on D&D forums than to ask with of the conflicting definitions of Alignment everybody uses :D but for inventing and tinkering with characters in my fiction work, I've found that all I really need are the absolute basics :)

Authoritarian, Neutral, Antiauthoritarian
Saintly, Neutral, Sociopathic
Asocial, Social
Theoretical, Practical
Insensitive, Sensitive
Disorganized, Organized

And that's it. No fancy programming necessary (though I have made a chart of the 31 major characters from 4 of my stories, but that's just a Microsoft Word thing I did because I was bored).
I made cheeseburger(homemade) they love those and super easy to make. All the boys in my home were happy campers. That's cool putting it all in MSWord, I'm old school and have at spiral notebooks, one is much smaller than the other, I'll jot down tidbits that come to me for later, like names etc.

TT-How goes it?

Today I will hopefully finish off a chapter and maybe go back and edit my villain. No I won't edit my villain today I need to find energy to do that and today isn't that day.

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
I need to stew about this for awhile, I would hate to see you put something in your book that you don't feel belongs. I don't think he has to vanquish anything, maybe this book is what sets up the series for something later, maybe this is all about his development and discovery or maybe someone comes between him and Ben somehow. Maybe this book is just putting the wheels in motion for future obstacles. When he world hops what does he do when he arrives? What is his purpose?

See, and that's what I was thinking too. Sometimes. Most often. But I get to where I'm overthinking things because every movie follows a pattern (and many books too) of:

1. character
2. in a situation
3. have a problem
4. they try to solve
5. making it worse
6. final attempt, may succeed or fail
7. consequence not as expected.

Once I saw that pattern, I saw it everywhere. I suspect any book that wants to be wildly successful follows a similar pattern, which makes me wonder if my book will have enough struggle.

The struggle so far: Max learns he isn't human and grapples with it. He doesn't try to be what he once was, but he's also not completely comfortable with what he must do, even though some of it is exciting to him. Close to the end he accepts his new status completely, but in a manner that frightens Ben quite a lot. He cannot separate from Ben, so he must figure out how to help his friend be okay with what's happening except Max is a bit of a psychopath (or sociopath? I must research this a bit) and doesn't fully understand why his friend isn't simply accepting things at face value.

So I keep thinking external struggles should be added to make it more interesting, but then I think I should write the book I want to read. Maybe after I'm done the first draft and ignore it I'll see it with fresh eyes.

They hop worlds for different reasons: to get away from a threat, unsettling world, feels like it's time to move on, not a friendly place, etc. There's a tiny bit of push-pull too, Max likes going to new places but sometimes Ben wants to stay a bit longer. Each place they visit reveals a bit more information about what Max is. One world makes it absolutely, abundantly clear to Max but Ben doesn't get the same experience, so Max has to try to explain to Ben what happened and what it means.

Their purpose is to explore and learn, the entities like Max have an innate curiosity that needs to be satisfied.

It definitely is a set-up book for the next one, where Max and Ben meet a larger community. My biggest concern is making sure readers want to keep reading.

.....and thank you for listening/reading while I babble about my book and insecurities :)

Today I discovered so much about my wip. I'm really excited, a new character emerged although she won't actually appear in the novel, but now I know this will be a series. I discovered some interesting things about my villain and will need to rework some previous chapters to change these developments, but I am leaving that because if I return to my first three chapters I think I will scream and smash my keyboard(ok I exaggerate but you get the point) I was feeling a bit of writers block and where I was headed, I think that is why I spent so much time editing my first few chapters, but now I'm excited again and see where I'm going. This new person has really brightened my spirits and will dramatically change my mc world... I'm excited for her :)

That is the best feeling - getting excited about where your book is going! Maybe the words will flow from your fingers easily now that you have some insight :)

That's cool putting it all in MSWord, I'm old school and have at spiral notebooks, one is much smaller than the other, I'll jot down tidbits that come to me for later, like names etc.

TT-How goes it?

lol - I use a spreadsheet to detail what my characters have learned, but I also have several notepad sheets bundled with information. I feel like I'm preparing for an UberFan: make sure all my information doesn't contradict itself and I remain true to whatever canon I set up. Does anyone else do this?

Other than overthinking every last word I wrote, it's going well :) I really love parts of my book, and I hope readers will see that.

How is everyone else doing? Any obstacles you want to talk about? Successes?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
See, and that's what I was thinking too. Sometimes. Most often. But I get to where I'm overthinking things because every movie follows a pattern (and many books too) of:

1. character
2. in a situation
3. have a problem
4. they try to solve
5. making it worse
6. final attempt, may succeed or fail
7. consequence not as expected.

Once I saw that pattern, I saw it everywhere. I suspect any book that wants to be wildly successful follows a similar pattern, which makes me wonder if my book will have enough struggle.

They hop worlds for different reasons: to get away from a threat, unsettling world, feels like it's time to move on, not a friendly place, etc. There's a tiny bit of push-pull too, Max likes going to new places but sometimes Ben wants to stay a bit longer. Each place they visit reveals a bit more information about what Max is. One world makes it absolutely, abundantly clear to Max but Ben doesn't get the same experience, so Max has to try to explain to Ben what happened and what it means.
Maybe the threats they are getting away from are actually following them, unbeknownst to them and as they leave a world that threat creates havoc in those worlds but everyone thinks it's Max and Ben creating havoc. That's one idea :)

Southpaw

The squirrel apocalypse is coming!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Hi fellow UFer's (that's sounds naughty )

My current WIP is set in Burbank, CA. It has an array of creatures. The one I have up in QLH is set in the New England in a fictional seaside town. The "main cast" are witches.

ETA: One that's in the developmental stages (which means all in my head) is set in the early 1900s in Boston.

lol - I use a spreadsheet to detail what my characters have learned, but I also have several notepad sheets bundled with information. I feel like I'm preparing for an UberFan: make sure all my information doesn't contradict itself and I remain true to whatever canon I set up. Does anyone else do this?

I do! I use Scrivener as my "book bible." I have notes, descriptions, diagrams, languages, sketches, photos, etc. It's great to have it all in one place.

Last edited:

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the threats they are getting away from are actually following them, unbeknownst to them and as they leave a world that threat creates havoc in those worlds but everyone thinks it's Max and Ben creating havoc. That's one idea :)

I did think of something similar! Maybe I can work it into the next draft :)

Hi fellow UFer's (that's sounds naughty )

Well it sounds naughty now that you've pointed it out - lol

My current WIP is set in Burbank, CA. It has an array of creatures. The one I have up in QLH is set in the New England in a fictional seaside town. The "main cast" are witches.

ETA: One that's in the developmental stages (which means all in my head) is set in the early 1900s in Boston.

I do! I use Scrivener as my "book bible." I have notes, descriptions, diagrams, languages, sketches, photos, etc. It's great to have it all in one place.

Your books sound interesting, I may have to go digging to read snippets :)
I've heard a lot of people use Scrivener, maybe I should give it a look to see how easy it is to use

Simpson17866

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard a lot of people use Scrivener, maybe I should give it a look to see how easy it is to use
It's not a word processor, so you will have to export everything when you're ready for more rigorous SPAG editing, but I would give 7 out of 5 stars to the ability to jump around the document at the click of a mouse.

When I wrote my 63k word Doctor Who fanfiction on Microsoft Word, I always had to search through the entire document when I wanted to change something, and saving each chapter as a separate document wouldn't have helped. I had to write the whole thing in a predominantly linear fashion so that I wouldn't lose track of where I'd skipped parts, and that meant that no matter how excited I was to write a certain scene, I always had to slog through the earlier parts that I wasn't interested in writing. By the time I got to the parts I'd originally been excited to write, I'd often be trapped in the brain-space of having spent so much energy on the boring parts that I couldn't make myself excited again about the parts that I'd previously wanted to write. I averaged 1970 words per month.

With Scrivener, I could look at the whole WIP at a time, or I could click any of the chapter icons on the left sidebar to limit myself to one chapter of my UrFan novel at a time. Instead of always having 10s of thousands of words to search through, I could click the icon for Chapter 3 when I wanted to write something in Chapter 3, then click the icon for Chapter 7 when I wanted to write something for Chapter 7... and if I wanted to hold my place in a specific chapter, I would just highlight a small section, make a Note for the right sidebar, and if I was at the bottom of the chapter but wanted to get back to the part I skipped, I could just click the Note in the right sidebar.

Apparently there's a lot of bells and whistles that I haven't looked at yet, but just those two sidebars brought me up to 6775 words / month (until I took a break from my novel for school and smaller projects).

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: Hi fellow UFer's (that's sounds naughty )
Love it! My town is fictional too not on the coast but it's eastern. My main cast are also witches but in current times. I'm doing my best to pop back to my 16yr old self, however I think of them like Sex and the City and each one is very unique.

Twisted how many drafts? Are you completely finished writing the book?

Simpson man your smart you sure have a lot of techy knowledge it's great!

Today I thought I would get all of this writing done....but nope it's been a day of research! My arm is sore from scrolling, another reason I can't spend much time on pinterest, my old joints and muscles don't like all the scrolling. Nursing for 19yrs does take it's toll.

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
@Jan74 - I'm almost completely done the first draft, which is one step up from the puke draft. Before anyone asks: a puke draft was described by Wil Wheaton: The puke draft, as defined by my friend and mentor Amy Berg (who created both my role on Leverage and Eureka), is the draft you write first, where you just puke up everything onto the page, without stopping to fix stuff or redo stuff. I add to this the following: you go all the way through until the story is done, and then you can go back and start washing away the puke to leave behind the yummy undigested morsels of delicious story. Yes, that sounds gross. Anyway, the puke draft is done, now I'm finalizing the first draft. Then I will change the format to manuscript and print the whole thing out. I will read the paper copy and make notes with a pen, from those notes I'll create the second draft.

I opened another tab to see what Scrivener is all about, it looks good and I'm considering a free trial to see how it runs.

My old joints can't handle much either, I have arthritis in my back, knees, and hands. I suspect it's in my neck and hips too but haven't had x-rays to confirm. Glucosamine is my friend these days. Gardening is not :( :(

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Lurking quietly in the corner...I write contemporary and historical fantasy, both YA and adult. I'm another Scrivener convert--though I don't always use it, it's great for writing historical fiction because you can keep research links and material right there in the sidebar, which is extremely helpful.

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score
Lurking quietly in the corner...I write contemporary and historical fantasy, both YA and adult. I'm another Scrivener convert--though I don't always use it, it's great for writing historical fiction because you can keep research links and material right there in the sidebar, which is extremely helpful.

OOooOOo....I was just reading something about that on a review page for Scrivener. It looks like you can keep photos and art as well. I have had to do a bunch of research for my different dimensions, I can see how helpful it would have been to have it all in one place.

Historical fantasy? I'm not sure I've heard of that, what's your HF book about?

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love it! My town is fictional too not on the coast but it's eastern. My main cast are also witches but in current times.

Mine is current time too! :)

I have set up all the books to be in the same magic world, so if I want to I can reference the other books. Ya know, for fun!

I opened another tab to see what Scrivener is all about, it looks good and I'm considering a free trial to see how it runs.

The free trial is great. If I remember correctly, it count the days you use it as opposed to a blanket number of days. Also--if I remember correctly the MAC version has a text to speech feature now (so it can read back to you).

Yup, Scrivener is good for keeping all those notes. I'll already started tracking the timeline of real life events, inventions, etc for my historical one too.

Last edited:

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: I'm glad you came in, lurkers are always welcome too! I will have to check it out this scivener.

TT-Wow congrats that you are now drafting. I'm only on chapter 6 and around 15,000 words... I'm a big time go back and edit, fix, edit some more, pull my hair out, fix and re-edit. Ughhh! I stopped because I was starting to hate my MC, I was sick of her.

So today I did go back and edit some of my villain. I had to find a way of not killing off somebody and keeping them alive and I did manage a way of doing it. The other person who has to die will still die, this is a different character. Now my issue is geography and where everybody is in location to villain. So I will have to spend some time world building. They are in the real world but a fake town so I need to create that town and how this community is all laid out. I had to design my mc home also so it fit in with the story line. But this is the fun stuff that I enjoy, I enjoy writing too, but drawing is way more fun!

My kids were supposed to stay after school for D&D till 430, allowing me more time to write, but no I just seen them all bicycle in so they must not have stayed....and of course now that it's spring they come home with extra kids! Why do they like coming here?

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine is current time too! :)
I have set up all the books to be in the same magic world, so if I want to I can reference the other books. Ya know, for fun!
The free trial is great. If I remember correctly, it count the days you use it as opposed to a blanket number of days. Also--if I remember correctly the MAC version has a text to speech feature now (so it can read back to you).
Yup, Scrivener is good for keeping all those notes. I'll already started tracking the timeline of real life events, inventions, etc for my historical one too.
I must have read it wrong, sorry I thought it was 1920's, I would love to try my hand at an earlier time line but that would be a challenge for me at this point. One day though. I hope your siggy is true and the market isn't saturated, but even if it is oh well I'm writing it anyways! :)

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My kids were supposed to stay after school for D&D till 430, allowing me more time to write, but no I just seen them all bicycle in so they must not have stayed....and of course now that it's spring they come home with extra kids! Why do they like coming here?

Those kids! They always show up don't they! :)

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
OOooOOo....I was just reading something about that on a review page for Scrivener. It looks like you can keep photos and art as well. I have had to do a bunch of research for my different dimensions, I can see how helpful it would have been to have it all in one place.

Historical fantasy? I'm not sure I've heard of that, what's your HF book about?

Yup--images too. But I especially like that I can have things like a character list right there, and if I've forgotten a factoid about someone, it's one easy click away in the sidebar.

Historical fantasy is just that--fantasy set in the past. My three published YAs are set in Regency and early Victorian Great Britain with magic and witches, and the plots incorporate real people and events. And my agent just started submitting a new YA with selkies set in 1917 on Cape Cod.

A few historical fantasies you might have heard of are the Temeraire series by Naomi Novak, and Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke

Last edited:

TwistedTyping

Lost between the pages
Registered
Reaction score

I guess I should be lucky? For years I looked after other people's kids, so when I stopped doing that I discouraged my sons from having friends over. Even now, my younger one mostly asks if it's ok and never has more than one visitor at a time. It helps they're adults now :) My older son is a computer engineer and writes code all day at work, then comes home and writes more code. He never has friends over. I'm fine with that.

It is immensely difficult to write when constantly interrupted though, and I have told my sons very sternly to leave me alone for two hours minimum. They do :) But honestly, I get most of my writing done when they aren't home.

I also re-wrote a lot @Jan74, but it was fast writing. It's in desperate need of cleaning up. I was starting to hate my characters too for a while. I did have one murder someone and I didn't bat an eye. I had an innocent animal die and I bawled all through typing it out. I'm broken inside, I think.

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note for peeps thinking about Scrivener. A thread was started in the tech forum for tips using it:http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?327296-Any-Scrivener-Tip-or-Tricks

Yup--images too. But I especially like that I can have things like a character list right there, and if I've forgotten a factoid about someone, it's one easy click away in the sidebar.

Historical fantasy is just that--fantasy set in the past. My three published YAs are set in Regency and early Victorian Great Britain with magic and witches, and the plots incorporate real people and events. And my agent just started submitting a new YA with selkies set in 1917 on Cape Cod.

Yeah more witches! OO oo my historical is 1917 too! The one in Boston, so close! No selkies. Good luck!

Marissa D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Yeah more witches! OO oo my historical is 1917 too! The one in Boston, so close! No selkies. Good luck!

Cool!! I loved researching 1917--I bought a bunch of magazines from summer 1917 on eBay and had a blast using them for background material--they turned into blog fodder when I blogged about the ads for products advertised then that are still around today (a surprising number, actually.)

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I should be lucky?

Yes, that is what one is suppose to say.

I also re-wrote a lot @Jan74, but it was fast writing. It's in desperate need of cleaning up. I was starting to hate my characters too for a while. I did have one murder someone and I didn't bat an eye. I had an innocent animal die and I bawled all through typing it out. I'm broken inside, I think.

Not broken, human. ;)

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yes! They are gone now. Apparently the teacher didn't let them stay for D & D since they didn't have permission... the slips were in the bag, I signed them myself. So I sent her a text. Oh the joys!

I guess I should be lucky? For years I looked after other people's kids, so when I stopped doing that I discouraged my sons from having friends over. Even now, my younger one mostly asks if it's ok and never has more than one visitor at a time. It helps they're adults now :) My older son is a computer engineer and writes code all day at work, then comes home and writes more code. He never has friends over. I'm fine with that.

It is immensely difficult to write when constantly interrupted though, and I have told my sons very sternly to leave me alone for two hours minimum. They do :) But honestly, I get most of my writing done when they aren't home.

I would be the same, well this death might get to me, I'll see when I get there, I'm very far from that point. I've told my boys at 18 they are out! lol. My son said last night "mom when we move out will you be giving us money to start off?" HA! They're funny kids boy lol! We tease them and say we're selling and buying a one bedroom house. :evil

Cool!! I loved researching 1917--I bought a bunch of magazines from summer 1917 on eBay and had a blast using them for background material--they turned into blog fodder when I blogged about the ads for products advertised then that are still around today (a surprising number, actually.)
I really get sucked into research, I spent most of my day researching, but it will be worth it in the end.

Southpaw & Marissa- What do you find the hardest thing when writing historical?

Southpaw

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The hardest part of writing historical is adding the right bits for authenticity but not too much to dull down the story.

–Uh, and not getting lost in research. I did a couple post about 1917 already (fashion, movies, and something else) because it's cool stuff!

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
I love historical fiction, too, and I've been wanting to write something in the Progressive era, during Teddy Roosevelt's presidency. Something about that period speaks to me.

I've written eight historical fantasy novels, none of which have been published yet. All but one are either set in or have something to do with California. Civil War, 1850s (California Trail), Great Depression, and ancient Greece are my periods so far.

To date, though, I've only published short stories, most of which are urban fantasy, using that as a garbage can term. Many are set in rural or small-town locales. I've got a free collection which is in my signature, and six trade publications.

I'm in awe of all of you who actually mastered Scrivener. The frustration threshold is too high for me, even with the dummy book. For now, I'm sticking to Word, although I do need a way to convert to epub and mobi to send out free copies. Does anyone know of a way that doesn't involve Scrivener of fiverr?

I followed or visited everyone whose links are in their signatures. :)

Last edited: