Can't Settle on Fixed Time Period

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
My manuscript is 'completed', and is in the editing phase. Thanks to a beta reader, she made me realize that my scene setting is sparse. My original intention for this universe of mine was supposed to be sort of 'timelessness'. Cellphones and the like used minimally. Since, the book focuses on the supernatural/fantastical, I didn't see it too important if I focused on technology much. But, as I developed the story, I realized the setting itself indeed was a bit gaseous.

I fleshed out the original concept I had the 1910-1930's 'timeless' feel coupled with the technology of about the 1980's. Since I wanted a certain level of technological refinement, I set in 2035. That would help improve the airship technology, which is the only sort of aerial mode of transportation. However, I felt since there was such minimal use of technology already--then would it proper for me to merely set it in 1910's? Is me setting this in the future without it playing into the tone of the book a bit unnecessary? Such as Fallout is set to appear like the 50's and what not because it was the height of nuclear tech age. LOTR, taking place in a perpetual dark ages. (Or whatever the proper term would be), and deals with knights, dragons, wizards and so forth. These settings play into the main concepts presented in the stories.

I can sort of see that the 1910's older tech would cause disruption in long communication. The grainy footage and what have you would help emphasize the mystery of the supernatural. There is a certain level of 'horror' or 'mysteriousness' granted by limited tech, and older time periods when dealing with monsters. (At least to me) There are disadvantages to my already established story should I set it in 1910, such as scenes with cellphones would need to be written out, regular phones could be used sure--but scenes when information is immediately conveyed won't really be possible. Of course I did consider a sort of portable-telegraph, a round about cellphone that runs off of picking up on certain radio frequencies. But I doubt it.

However, as I've gone through this I'm still uncertain if I should set the year in the 1910's or 2030's. What are your thoughts if any? Am I overthinking this? I really can't seem to settle on one or the other and it's been driving me mad.

**Update**

Thank you blacbird, I pondered over what you said--and I believe with some more refining, I may have a viable solution. Mixing zeppelins and planes parallel to a magi-only technology for unique semi-fantastical airships. Doing this makes the zeppelins that are used easier to swallow. Giving unique airships for the magical community gifts them a bit more division from the mundane population.

While this isn't necessarily the route I'm going, I can see it being the better path than my original concepts. The airships depicted in the book, used by magicless people was a bit too fantastical.
I'll still be running off of many other comments here to see if I can make this setting work well.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Hmm... almost sounds more like you want alt-history (1910's with alterations, explaining why nobody has moved beyond airships as the only mode of sky transport) or straight-up secondary world (not even Earth.) Even if it was 2030's, it would likely need to be alternate to mix the different tech levels; we're closing in on 2020, and as of yet airships have yet to make a comeback, unless you reset tech with a WWIII or other disruption...

If your setting is working (and doesn't have major contradictions that trip up suspension of disbelief), I wouldn't overthink or overexplain it. I've read books that never specifically sat down and told me when or where (or in what version of reality) they took place; as the story unfolded, I got a sense of the aesthetic and mood, and didn't really need to be outright told "This is an alternate timeline" or "It's post-apocalyptic, but with alien tourists."

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also keep the dates nebulous, a stylised decade, but is there anything else going on, not tech, but socio-geopolitical, that might define the time setting? The 1910s were a bit world war one-ish.

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... almost sounds more like you want alt-history (1910's with alterations, explaining why nobody has moved beyond airships as the only mode of sky transport) or straight-up secondary world (not even Earth.) Even if it was 2030's, it would likely need to be alternate to mix the different tech levels; we're closing in on 2020, and as of yet airships have yet to make a comeback, unless you reset tech with a WWIII or other disruption...

If your setting is working (and doesn't have major contradictions that trip up suspension of disbelief), I wouldn't overthink or overexplain it. I've read books that never specifically sat down and told me when or where (or in what version of reality) they took place; as the story unfolded, I got a sense of the aesthetic and mood, and didn't really need to be outright told "This is an alternate timeline" or "It's post-apocalyptic, but with alien tourists."
Thank you for your input! *nods* Yes, either one I think is viable. This Earth, has an extensive magical history. There too is the existence of numerous mythical persons and creatures, though mostly kept outside common knowledge. Both of these are so prevelent to old history of this world that I can't really say at what point their history diverged from our own. I was thinking perhaps merely set it the year the book is published and just consider it to be an alternate Earth. Most events are similar, and or exact, while others, say witch hunts, were more prevalent. Currently years service only me, so to keep events straight, ages known and so forth.

The setting is working for the story I believe. I think you're right in that I shouldn't overthink it. If I do not only will it cause me stress, but it may result in me maiming my work. The actual use of years in latter installments (Should it ever happen) will become more necessary for the reader's sake.

I was actually thinking of having a World War III of sorts between the supernatural and the mundane, which would reshape the earth forever. A new magical world, growing out of the common known world. But that is supposed to occur later down the line.

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also keep the dates nebulous, a stylised decade, but is there anything else going on, not tech, but socio-geopolitical, that might define the time setting? The 1910s were a bit world war one-ish.
Nothing too much. The story focuses on an alchemy group and aftermath of their experiments upon three children.
I kept the tension between the mundane and supernatural to a minimum. But it is a point of contention. I wanted the reader to dive into the supernatural world in this story, leaving out many socio-geopolitical affairs. But your questions make me realize I may need to address the tension between the supernatural and mundane more.

I should chew over your question.

I do say though, historically, it's brought up throughout the book, that a group of hunters (persons trained to hunt supernatural persons and creatures) rendered the already weak magical governments virtually nonexistent in the U.S. The magical governments of the U.K. had been destroyed several years prior.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I fleshed out the original concept I had the 1910-1930's 'timeless' feel coupled with the technology of about the 1980's. Since I wanted a certain level of technological refinement, I set in 2035. That would help improve the airship technology, which is the only sort of aerial mode of transportation.

As a reader, this conjunction of dates and technology would lose me right at the get-go. Airships (in the sense of lighter-than-air craft) competed with standard airplanes only in a limited way and only for a couple of decades. The Hindenburg disaster killed dirigible travel, and the recent attempt to bring it back resulted in a test crash likely to entomb it for good. I'd have big trouble accepting the concept that a society in 2035 would only have airship technology.

caw

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
I'd check out some of the stories in the online magazine Beneath Ceaseless Skies, which can have some amazing alternate history stories.
Ooh! That sounds like a good idea. :D Thank you~!

13Clovers

it never ends
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, this conjunction of dates and technology would lose me right at the get-go. Airships (in the sense of lighter-than-air craft) competed with standard airplanes only in a limited way and only for a couple of decades. The Hindenburg disaster killed dirigible travel, and the recent attempt to bring it back resulted in a test crash likely to entomb it for good. I'd have big trouble accepting the concept that a society in 2035 would only have airship technology.

caw
That’s a good point—and something I was hoping someone would point out some flaw. I wasn't certain how the reception of airship technology would go. I, myself, though wishing to make the airship technology work for this—feel it mayn’t be too feasible given what you mentioned.
I did consider having standard planes parallel—but should I do that I feel the need for airships wouldn’t be present for the general community. Removing them and replacing it with just our known technology. To me it seemed like a dull prospect—but I admittedly am at a loss as to how I could make this believable.
Potentially, airships could be used purely by magi, which are a heavy focus in the book. Their method for building and maintaining airships wouldn’t be quite the same as the mundane. Such as they wouldn’t use hydrogen bladders. But, given the fact that the supernatural community in the book don’t have much influence, airships would be large targets.
There is always the potential if airships in the future are too unbelievable to turn back the clock to the early 1900’s—this would require only minor rewrites to kick out cellphones and computers.
Thank you for your remark—perhaps I can figure something out..

**NOTE**
Thank you blacbird, I pondered over what you said--and I believe with some more refining, I may have a viable solution. Mixing zeppelins and planes parallel to a magi-only technology for unique semi-fantastical airships. Doing this makes the zeppelins that are used easier to swallow. Giving unique airships for the magical community gifts them a bit more division from the mundane population.

Last edited: