• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Questions for beta readers on compensation and gratitude

Status
Not open for further replies.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if this in the wrong thread.

I've had beta readers before, and they've always been great, but I recently had a fellow student at my university beta read my novel for me. She wants to be an editor some day, and her feedback in our workshop is always insanely helpful, so when she offered to edit my manuscript for me I was very excited. She ended up doing SO MUCH more work that I could have ever asked. She actually ended up copyediting it, while also typing up pages of feedback on character, plot, etc. We're both full time students with busy lives, and I was utterly floored that she put SO MUCH work into my story. I've never felt this much gratitude to another writer before when it came to their feedback on my work. I feel like had I asked for this kind of work from anyone, I would have had to go through a professional editor and paid them a decent sum.

My question is this: Would you, as a beta reader, be uncomfortable if the person whose work you engaged with paid you in some way? I doubt she'll never except plain money from me, but I work at store where I know she loves to shop, and I thought something like a 50 dollar gift card might be a good gesture to show how much I appreciate the work she's done. But I also don't want to make her uncomfortable. I said something about getting her a gift to thank her and she brushed it off saying, "This will be my job someday so it's good practice, and besides, I love your writing!"

However, I still feel like with everything she put in I owe her SOMETHING, whether it's a gift card or a physical gift.

If you would accept a gift, what would you want it to be? A gift card? Money? An actual gift?

Thank you!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think giving her a gift card is the same as giving her money--it pays for the work she did, when that was not the original arrangement.

What I've read about from others here is that a heartfelt gift, not necessarily valuable, is a fine thank you for a beta going above and beyond what the author expected. What do you know about her besides her skills and her desire to be an editor? That's the template for gift-giving.

Maybe she needs the new edition of The Chicago Manual of Style. Or a grammar-related T-shirt. Or maybe she needs home-made cookies. Or flowers. Or fuzzy slippers. Or a fancy bathrobe that costs more than she'd spend on herself. Or tickets to a show, museum, or concert, on a night you're busy.

We can't guess what would be most appreciated, but you can.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that's nice, and I thought this thread was going to be something different, heh.

Given it's the store at which you work, and you know she likes it, I think a gc from there might be sort of different than cash in the uncomfortableness dept., as she'd probably presume you got it at some kind of discount or something. Or, depending on the type of store, if you know something or some category of thing she likes, and the place has a good return policy, you could get her like, as Maryn suggests, a nice robe or something and put a gift receipt right on top and make very clear you'd be happy if she wanted to trade it for anything she liked better.

I think also maybe some gc type of thing you could spin -- like if you get together in a workshop or you see her at school and she has Sbux you could get her an Sbux gc and say you were going to bring her a coffee but she picks them up on her way and she'd have two so here and no big you're sure she spent some of her caffeine working on your thing, or midterms are coming up, or something.

S. Eli

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
My southernness might just be saying this, but a money gift for a favor gives me the bad kind of shudders. I think you can meet in the middle of your desire to compensate and not step on any toes by going the christmas route--something like what Maryn said, or maybe take her out to a lunch, or give her homemade cookies, or something like that! Buy her something like bath bombs or something else you'd think would be a good amenity. And then, wrapping is key when giving a gift--make it look nice. I'd feel uncomfortable getting a gift card--I wouldn't give it back or anything, but I'd feel bad.

Oh, and also maybe with your little gift something handwritten about how grateful you are!

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think a gift is a great idea. It is not a "payment" but an expression of gratitude for someone going above and beyond.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I've had a betaee buy me lunch when we met in person after I beta'd her novel. I felt totally okay with that. I would feel uncomfortable about money, but wouldn't feel so with a gift card, if a betaee felt so moved to give me one. To me, that's a gift, not money, and the idea of giving a gift to your beta reader is so nice. I certainly don't go into beta reading expecting anything more than a "Thank you." Anything more is very special.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
^^ Maryn is very wise.

My advice, however, would be not to gift it to her on the basis of the work she's done -- as she'll likely refuse.

Gift it to her because she's been a great friend to you.

Acknowledging that friendship will probably mean more to her than any tangible reward.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback guys! I think maybe picking her out something from my store, since it's more personal than a gift card, would be suffice. I just really want to be able to make a gesture to show her how thankful I am. She's a wonderful beta, but an even better friend, and I'm very lucky!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
Some very cool advice and ideas in this thread. I'm also in agreement with Maryn's ideas.

Don't forget to recognize her on the acknowledgements page of your book. Then maybe a gift copy of the book with a thoughtful inscription when it's released.

DrDoc

Ex everything; trying something new
Registered
Reaction score
4,000 miles from the center of the Earth.
I think she might be looking for a date. Anyway, take her out to lunch, or dinner. A physical gift is iffy, too much? too little? A meal is different, there is conversation besides the free food and drink. Giving her good memories will far outlast any gift you might buy.

FWIW
DrDoc

caracy

Expert on Absolutely Nothing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francinezane.com
Keep in mind as well that she may interpret it as all the work she went through was only worth $50 to you even though you feel it was invaluable.

Grats on finding such a terrific match! Many betas never even make it through the entire manuscript.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback guys! I think maybe picking her out something from my store, since it's more personal than a gift card, would be suffice. I just really want to be able to make a gesture to show her how thankful I am. She's a wonderful beta, but an even better friend, and I'm very lucky!

I think that's a good idea. :Thumbs:

I beta'd a novel (with no request for payment) and the author very kindly sent me a gift card. I declined it because I was only too happy to have done it for free. But when the book was published I very happily accepted a free copy (I bought my own too :D) because that felt okay to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.