Newbie Romance Reader - Recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I want to start reading outside my norm (which is typically YA contemporary and fantasy) and I am very interested in checking out some romance novels. The problem is that it is very overwhelming when walking into a used bookstore and seeing the sheer amount of books that are available. I would prefer something that is not a part of a series. I feel like I would be leaning towards historical or fantasy romance, but contemporary romance recs would be fine too. Not looking for erotica, but something more than sweet? I don't know all my romance lingo, haha. I'm not sure if I should check out the big name authors like Danielle Steel or Nora Roberts or some other lesser known authors that members here might be able to recommend.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
If you're ok with m/m romance, my own Shuttered is on the sweet side rather than erotic, but doesn't 'fade to black'. Also, it has fantastical elements (spirits, telepathy, possession) so it might ease you into the romance genre gently! :D

ETA: I'd also recommend Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin, published in the 50s.

Last edited:

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of series in romance. Everything I'm going to rec is part of a series. But in most romance series (including all the ones here), each book is a separate couple. You don't need to read more than the one book to get their full romance, and you can often read out of order without a problem. I don't read fantasy romance, so I can't help you there!

Historical:
Lisa Kleypas: Secrets of a Summer Night (and the rest of the Wallflower series)
Tessa Dare: Romancing the Duke
Courtney Milan: The Duchess War (though my favourite in the series is The Heiress Effect)

Contemporary
Julie James: It Happened One Wedding (or anything she's written)
Courtney Milan: Trade Me, Hold Me
Lauren Layne: After the Kiss, Love the One You're With
Victoria Dahl: Taking the Heat
Kristan Higgins: All I Ever Wanted (this is the first romance novel that I liked)

One book that gets recommended over and over as a "starter romance" is Jennifer Crusie's Bet Me. Thus, it was the first romance I ever read. Unfortunately, I didn't like it...but a lot of people do.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I love Amanda Quick's romance books.
Also Jayne Ann Krentz.

Who happen to be the same person, but who's counting?

Last edited:

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I love Nora Roberts and yes, Jayne Ann Krentz is great too.

I also recommend Viola Grace. She writes a lot of fantasy/sci fi romances. I read Shattered Stars a while ago and it's really, really good. Lots of erotica in it though... It may not be for everyone.

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for so many great recommendations! And it's good to know that some may look like series, but can actually be read on their own.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
For sweet-ish historical, I'd recommend Mary Balogh. Many of her books are series, but are also good as stand-alone. One of my favorites is Slightly Dangerous.

Also historical: anything by Loretta Chase (my favorite is Dukes Prefer Blondes, which I believe is also her most recent). And anything by Joanna Bourne will knock your socks off.

CEtchison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheryletchison.com
So many great suggestions already. I would also include Jill Shalvis' Lucky Harbor series (my personal favorite was Lucky in Love) and Shannon Stacey's Kowalski series (Yours to Keep) in contemporary romance. And in historical, Lisa Kleypas, Tessa Dare, Julia Quinn, Sarah MacLean, Lorraine Heath, Elizabeth Hoyt, Madeline Hunter... I could go on. lol Historical romances are my crack. :p

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
My personal faves: Susanna Kearsley (sweet/historical/paranormal), particularly THE SHADOWY HORSES; Catherine Anderson if you like spicy/angsty; Blythe Gifford if you like spicy/straight historical; Marilyn Brandt if you like fun contemporary that's not over-the-top; Lisa Wingate if you're into Southern-set inspirational romance.

I can't make any recommendations regarding non-M/F or urban fantasy or romantic suspense because I don't read in those genres.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I mostly read historicals (which is what I write), and I could give you a long list of books I like and admire, but if you want to explore different subgenera, you might take a look at the past RITA winners and finalists. That way you can see what has garnered praise. You may not love them all, but you can be pretty sure those books aren't dreck. *G*

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting here re-reading Liz Carlyle's superb A Woman Scorned for the umpteenth time (probably the 15th time, actually) I realized that I forgot to include it in my recommendations above. Wonderful historical romance with a fair amount of suspense.

K Corcoran

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Family Tree by Susan Wiggs right now, I grabbed it randomly from CVS after not being drawn to any of the other options. I'm not a "bare chest and six pack on the cover" type. I love the "returns home and runs into old boyfriend" plot which is what this is. I am really enjoying the story and it is very entertaining and well written. I have not been bored yet.

SKStark

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.skstark.com
Hi there! And welcome to romance. :) I made the same transition you did, from fantasy/YA into romance. A lot of mainstream romance still doesn't interest me too much for whatever reason, though I'm a huge fan of m/m romance (if you are interested in this genre, read Him). Even if you don't care about hockey and/or know nothing about it.

Here were the mainstream romance game-changers for me personally. I know you said no series, but alas, that just seems to be the thing in paranormal romance.

Immortals After Dark Series by Kresley Cole - Fun characters, laugh-out-loud humor, every kind of paranormal creature you can imagine, and hot sex scenes without slipping over into erotica
Psi/Changling Series by Nalini Singh - Pretty good world-building and an interesting plot that ties the whole series together nicely. A lot of people also love her Guild Hunter series.

Best of luck finding something that appeals!

DamienLoveshaft

Fudanshi
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.damienloveshaft.com
I love Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. The romance is broken up by great plots with high tensions and sometimes good action scenes. She tends to write the tortures hero who needs to be healed by the heroine, but it's actually done pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.