F&SF website issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody else having trouble accessing Fantasy & Science Fiction's website? Downforeveryoneorjustme claims it's up, but I'm not having any luck getting it to load.

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cookies clear automatically when I close my browser, so I started fresh this morning. Just cleared 'em again, on principle. Still no joy.

Stupid technology. I hope they haven't instituted some damnfangled new thing that functionally rejects slow connections. I've run into that once or twice.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Might also try a different browser. Probably not the problem, but it's quick to try. Very occasionally a site will have problems loading on (say) FireFox but load fine on (say) Chrome.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cookies clear automatically when I close my browser, so I started fresh this morning. Just cleared 'em again, on principle. Still no joy.

Stupid technology. I hope they haven't instituted some damnfangled new thing that functionally rejects slow connections. I've run into that once or twice.

Yeah, I often have trouble loading pages thick with video at home. But F&SF doesn't look like a particularly media-rich home page? Loads fine for me on iOS Safari.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

What are you seeing when you try to load the site?

What happens on the screen?

Any error messages or dialog boxes?

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In Firefox, I'm getting "The connection to www.sfsite.com was interrupted while the page was loading."

In Opera, just the generic "Unable to complete secure transaction" page.

I'm not running any adblockers or anything else that should interfere on this end. I'm able to access other sites just fine, including secure sites. Haven't installed anything new, dinked with any settings, or any of the other usual suspects.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
In Firefox, I'm getting "The connection to www.sfsite.com was interrupted while the page was loading."

That suggests something odd is happening in terms of the back-and-forth between your browser and the site, possibly related to bandwidth/connectivity.

That said, it loads pretty quickly on an ancient 56K modem dialup.

I'd try clearing your cache
Completely closing any browser windows
Completely shutting down the browser.

And try again, in case there's a busted bit of Javascript lurking in your cache. (Outside possibility but worth a shot).

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep, that was my thinking too (some ack signal not coming back before timeout, etc.). But I'm fairly sure my connection's faster than 56K dialup. Probably. On a good day, anyway.

Cleared everything, closed browsers, and rebooted the computer just for good measure. Problem continues unchanged.

Maybe they just really don't want to see my werewolf story? :Shrug:

Liz_V

Not my first rodeo.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I tried it with my housemate's tablet, and it won't load there either. So it is something to do with my internet connection.

Which means there may not be much I can do about it. Which sucks, though at least it lets me off spending hours in the metaphorical guts of my laptop, trying to troubleshoot.

Anybody got a technical contact address for sfsite.com? I might throw them an email just on principle, and obviously I can't go look it up for myself....

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Update: I tried it with my housemate's tablet, and it won't load there either. So it is something to do with my internet connection.

Which means there may not be much I can do about it. Which sucks, though at least it lets me off spending hours in the metaphorical guts of my laptop, trying to troubleshoot.

Anybody got a technical contact address for sfsite.com? I might throw them an email just on principle, and obviously I can't go look it up for myself....

This may sound crazy, but can you make sure you know the login for your router, just in case, but power it off/turn off the power or unplug it for 90 seconds?

They have caches/buffers too, and that can cause weird issues.

As a work around, see if you can find the site or the page you want via the Google cache.

Status
Not open for further replies.