Developing Your Voice: Tips and Tactics

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinF

Banned
Reaction score
Lay em on me. I'll get started with the obvious.

Write more.

Last edited:

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
1. Write every scene the way you feel it should be written, not the "correct way";
2. Insert small bursts in between the action--details or musings which reflect your world view. You've probably got an opinion about everything under the sun--insert those as hints and nuances in as many scenes and conversations as the book will bear.

Before choosing to not write the correct way, one should likely learn to write the correct way first. Probably by the third book or the thirtieth short story some sort of stable author voice starts superseding the "rules". And then, if the writing thing sticks around, the voice will likely become increasingly personal over the decades.

Last edited:

AustinF

Banned
Reaction score
1. Write every scene the way you feel it should be written, not the "correct way";
2. Insert small bursts in between the action of details or musings which reflect your world view. You've probably got an opinion about everything under the sun--insert those as hints and nuances in as many scenes and conversations as the book will bear.

Before choosing to not write the correct way, one should likely learn to write the correct way first. Probably by the third book or the thirtieth short story some sort of stable author voice start superseding the "rules". And then, if the writing thing sticks around, the voice will likely become increasingly personal over the decades.

Thanks. I've been looking at authors with strong voices, it's so inspiring.

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I think voice and mood are closely related.

My writing plays like a movie in my mind. I am the MC, I see through his eyes and feel what he feels. So a lot of mood and voice comes from knowing myself.

MythMonger

Willing to Learn
Registered
Reaction score
2. Insert small bursts in between the action--details or musings which reflect your world view. You've probably got an opinion about everything under the sun--insert those as hints and nuances in as many scenes and conversations as the book will bear.

An alternative would be to write the musings that reflect your character's world view. They don't have to be the same as yours.

You could even play with it some, like maybe have the antagonist present their world view that's the opposite of your own. That way you can still get your point across, assuming that was your goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.