Convicted murderer resumes his pro soccer career

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
"Ape" is a somewhat defunct designation these days, unless you include humans, because of cladistics and the modern convention that taxonomic groupings be monophyletic. There's no grouping that includes chimps, gorillas, orangutans, gibbons and their most recent common ancestor (the primates generally referred to as "apes") that doesn't also include the hominins (humans and their extinct relatives and ancestors).

Like the word "reptile," which only represents a clade if birds are included and the ancestors of mammals are excluded, it's retained as a more colloquial way of designating a group of animals with superficial similarities but aren't actually complete branch of the taxonomic tree.

In any case, the bird is right and the word "ape" never referred to a single species of primate.

Now what were we talking about again :gone:

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm never been more than a very casual follower of pro sports, so I've never really understood the passion and loyalty that many feel for their favorite teams. Out of curiosity, are there any fans who will turn away from a team they've followed for years because something said team did (besides losing too many games) leaves a bad taste in their mouths? Clearly the business decisions involved in signing disgusting, but talented, felons are based on the answer to this being no.

What makes the original story all the more upsetting is when you contrast it with NFL star Colin Kaepernick being shunned by the league for his social activism.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-nfl-limbo-for-the-crime-of-speaking-his-mind

I think years from now we'll see Kaepernick's protest as being like Muhammed Ali's principled stand against the Vietnam War - which shut down his career for 4 years. https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/muhammad-ali-vietnam/485717/

So yeah, the sports world rewards horrific acts that support the status quo but not noble dissent against it. Of course here in the US you've got the dynamic that a majority of athletes are men of color versus a whole lot of older, richer white fans.

(Hmm what happens if Trump starts deporting major league baseball players...? Since that most American of sports is now mostly played by immigrants.)

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Chris Kluwe was dumped by the NFL for his political activism. He sued the Vikings for it, won and donated the money to charity.

National Felons League-beat your wife, girlfriend or child, torture and kill dogs, meh, stand up politically and be banished.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Chris Kluwe was dumped by the NFL for his political activism. He sued the Vikings for it, won and donated the money to charity.

National Felons League-beat your wife, girlfriend or child, torture and kill dogs, meh, stand up politically and be banished.

It's all about what they think will turn off their fan base, a business decision (so I've been told by a brother in law who is a former pro (North American) football player). So the take-home message is that most football fans are more accepting of domestic abuse, murder, and the torture of animals than they are of political activism. Makes me rather glad I don't like football that much. Either kind of football.