Laptop Woes!

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
Hello!

After my netbook became sluggishly slow, and my BF bought himself a new laptop, I started using his old one. Nowadays it's getting errors and has become slow - it cannot seem to catch up to the advanced updates needed for everything.

Since then, I've wiped the netbook completely clean and basically reset it to it's original state. I haven't really touched it since.

I'm already planning on buying a new laptop when finances get better around here. In the meantime, I'm wondering if I should go back to the Netbook now that it's basically clean of excess programs and files.

I've included the specs of both below.

Dell Inspiron Mini 10
Obtained: 2010
Windows 10
Processor: Intel® Atom™ CPU N450 @1.66GH 1.67 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
System Type: 32-bit OS

*Recently was reset to factory settings

Dell Studio 17
Obtained: 2009
Windows 7 Ultimate
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo CPU T6400 @2.00Hz 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM): 4.00 GB
System Type: 64-bit OS

*Currently using

---

Need:
* Paint.NET (pixel art)
* Paint Tool SAI (painting)
* Photoshop (design)
* RPG Maker MV (solo gamedev)
* Paper RPG Maker (team gamedev)
* Excel - or something that can read Excel files
* Word - or something that can read Word files
* Evernote (organized ideas)
* Steam (RPG Maker MV)
* Skype (Friends!)
* iTunes (Apple phone)
* Internet Browser
* Portable

---

I've currently got my eyes on some laptops. They're quite expensive at 600+ USD. For all I know, they could be exceeding what I really need with extra stuff.

To be honest, I've only been following my BF's suggestions since he knows computer stuff more than I do. All I know is that I'd like to avoid Acer and Lenovo laptops.

Wishlist:
1) Asus - X Series (Intel graphics card) [$620]
Why: Space

2) Asus - X Series (NVIDIA graphics card) [$650]
Why: Space, gaming

3) Dell Inspiron 13 7000 [$660]
Why: Touchscreen, more space than previously used laptops

4) Asus Flip [$640]
Why: Touchscreen, more space than previously used laptops

5) Dell Inspiron [$465]
Why: Cheaper, more space than previously used laptops

---

I am open to opinions and suggestions for laptops.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
2GB RAM is too low for running Windows 10. The Atom N450 can go up to 4GB; the problem might be to find the RAM chipset as we're talking 2010 tech.

If you were running anything but Microsoft Defender on that laptop, that might be one of the source of slowdown. McAffee is painful with low RAM and triggers a scan often, causing even more pain. Unless you have the nasty habit of browsing content from dubious servers, Windows Defender is more than sufficient.

-cb

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I tried to go back to Windows 7 Starter, but could never figure it out. Especially since it has no disc drive or anything. I also don't use virus protection programs, really. I find them super annoying. Usually, my BF figures out a way to destroy a virus anyway.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
My laptop is as Asus X-series. I quite like it. Not perfect, it's been having trouble with staying connected to the internet after only a year and change, but I don't know if it's a driver issue, Windows 10 issue, a network card issue, or an Asus issue. Its frustrating. But besides that, it has enough space for all my games, enough power to run them, and is otherwise a hardy machine.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
I would have thought that photoshop is your most processor-intensive program. That has a minimum requirement of 2Gb of RAM and windows 7, but 8Gb is recommended. Word, Excel, skype and an internet browser should run on pretty much anything. Don't know about the other programs on your list, but wouldn't expect them to be hungrier than photoshop.

So your two 2009/2010 machines are around minimum spec for what you want to do. If you have more than one program running at any time, I can see why you're slowing down. I doubt if any amount of tinkering is going to rescue them. I've been there, tried it, got the t-shirt. It's usually not worth it if you can afford to buy new.

Any of the laptops you've shortlisted should be fine. An i5 processor with 12 Gb of RAM or more will cheerfully munch through anything you care to throw at it for the foreseeable future.

Then it comes down to preferences and pragmatic issues such as favourite/ least favourite make, size, display, weight, etc. I'm not a fan of touchscreens on laptops (grubby fingerprints!), but it's a personal choice.

The only thing I would say is think about a good graphics card if you want to play graphics intensive games. My workhorse PC doesn't have a graphics card because I told myself I wouldn't be playing games on it. Naturally, I found myself fancying a bit of Fallout 4 and my PC couldn't cope even at the lowest settings.

One left-field thought. You might want to keep hold of an old laptop to do nothing but Word if you want a temptation-free machine for writing only. It's not for everyone (especially if space is a premium) but it can be a good way of ensuring BIC instead of "just one quick game..."

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Granted, I only use Photoshop like twice a week. It does things Paint.NET and SAI doesn't do. :(

The programs I have running now are: Firefox, Skype, Word 2007, and Paint.NET. I'm not TOO concerned with gaming on a laptop. I have a desktop for that lol. The choices were around the same price, however. :p

I'm thinking that I probably don't need anything "top-of-the-line" as long as it is newer and supports what I need.

@cbenoi1 - Thanks for the links!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
https://www.reddit.com/r/laptops/ has a great wiki guide to hardware, and you can post a form there with your budget and needs, and members will help you choose the best machine for you.

There are some great writing subreddits as well.

Edit: There's never anything wrong with overbuying a computer. That just ensures that you'll be able to hold on to it for a few years.

Last edited: