• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Anvil Press

Brukaviador

Registered
Reaction score
A Canadian book publisher.
They look legitimate, seem like they have a lot of titles, and I found their entry in the Writer's Market guide for this year, but I can't find any independent sources discussing them.
Anyone have any experience with them?

www.anvilpress.com

Last edited:

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of them.

Which is partly because I used to live down the street from their office and walked by on the way to the train.

Also, they're a reasonably well-known publisher. Very much legit. I'm not great at remembering publishers from talks and such but I've heard them discussed. Like many small literary publishers, they're necessarily selective but the sort of place where if you're selected it's a pretty nice accomplishment. They also have a well-known literary magazine.

Looking through their authors I see a couple names I recognize. Their distributor, Raincoast, is very well-known, and was the distributor in Canada for the Harry Potter books so they know a thing or two about getting books to market.

A basic Google search brings up plenty of other places they're listed as well as a variety of articles about their history.

Phyllo

Still sitting
Registered
Reaction score
Very legit. I haven't submitted to them, but they are on my list of independents. I don't know how valid this info is today, but until a few years ago they paid a small advance ($500-2,000, I believe). I don't know what they're like in terms of marketing & promo, but as posted above, Raincoast is reputable and you can find their books in bookstores (at least here in B.C.).

CaitlinJans

Registered
Reaction score
I know several authors who published with them and were very happy with the results. I have also been impressed as a reader by the work they have published and how that work is presented.

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
100% legitimate publisher. They are also the publisher for the 3 Day Novel Contest held over the Labour Day weekend each year. I entered in 2007 and wrote a little book called Shade Fright which did not win but led to my first print publishing deal. It's ten years later and I am multi-published. I don't think it would have happened had I not entered the contest.