Buried in Family Photos and Papers

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was not my intention to be the family historian, but I am the person to whom all the old pictures and papers have passed. It could be worse than it is; they only go back to about 1925 or so, and only get plentiful starting in the years just after WWII.

Today I started unpacking the basement-stinking box to better organize and more safely store, and of course it's a huge mess, with hundreds of pictures which don't identify the people, place, or year, photo albums with the pictures firmly glued in or on, albums which seem to be gathering miscellaneous pictures without any connecting theme or pattern I can see, lots of personal papers and newspaper clippings, plus pictures I can't imagine anyone wanting (but it seems so wrong to just throw away a picture!). Just overwhelming.

So far I've sorted things into eight or ten piles, mostly by who's in the pictures/whose papers these are/who these clippings are about, but of course you get some things that fit multiple categories, and what pile does that go in?

Surely some of you have dealt with similar tasks. Have you found a best way to group, catalogue, organize, or otherwise deal? Did you scan every single thing so there's a more permanent record? Did you catalogue or make a spreadsheet or anything? That's my best idea so far, a spreadsheet, but it sounds like a huge pain.

Help!

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
The good news for you is that somebody -- you -- realizes there is a huge problem. I have a photo of my dad and his brothers going off to war. They are in US Army uniforms and are carrying suitcases. World War One or when the Iowa National Guard helped to try to catch Pancho Villa? Looking on, in the photo, are my dad's parents, both immigrants from Germany. Are my grandparents seeing their "boys" going off to fight the country of their birth? A huge moment in their lives or just seeing the "boys" to hang around a border town in Texas and not much shooting ? A million American sosdiers were stationed on the border but nobody ever saw Villa.
What you need to do first is send the photos around and get relatives/neighbors/friends to help identify all those unknown faces. People are leaving town, kicking off, disappearing all the time.
Make copies. Keep at it and maybe he right way to organize everything will reveal itself to you. Too bad the earlier generation didn't have somebody to do that. That "throwaway" looking photo might be of somebody important to the family.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, we had those piles (large envelopes) of unidentified people. And the albums with the photos glued in. Some are identified, but the identification means nothing to anyone still living. I only have three first cousins, but when you get into seconds and thirds and fourths, our number is legion. A number of us (from different branches of the tree) are in touch online. By scanning photos we have and passing them around some people have been given names. It's like an archaeological dig, and we are having a blast.

MM

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I (and my sisters) are going through some of this right now. My grandfather died last year and my grandmother has move into an independent living facility. Prepping for the house sale, we've gathered a mountain of old photos and papers she doesn't have room to store.

I honestly have no idea what's what. There are some photos that are clearly my grandparents and family I recognize in their youth, but there are others that I have no clue, even when they're labeled. So I'm planning to scan them all and make some digital photo albums and send them around. If someone can identify someone, great. But otherwise, I feel my job is done.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Quite a few unidentified flying relations. I've put all the photos and papers in the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet for my niece and nephew to deal with at some time in the future.

One of the photos is of my dad, taken during World War II. He is with eleven 'mates'. I was talking about it with my brother. He said it had been taken in Cairo. I think it was Cairo. I asked him how he knew and he said because of the gate. 'There is no gate.' I replied. We then realized that there were two photos! Mine has a date on the back. As we now have dad's military record we might be able to work out where he was using the date.

Good luck with the job! Have you thought of asking a local history group for advice?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a similar situation. Preparing to move as the last one left in the family home. Tubs full of old pictures and stuff. I'm going to sound cold hearted, but I threw most of them away. it wasn't wasy but I have to be realistic. The family is gone, three of us are left. I kept the most important pictures and keepsakes, but see no point to lugging tubs of pictures with me to my next home just so they can sit untouched or looked at until I throw them away later.

My advice, keep the important or special ones. Keep the articles and keepsakes that have special meaning, the rest, toss.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One thing we're discussing is scanning much of the collection, over a period of months, and discarding the paper copies of a lot of it. We can send digital scans to any family member whose email we have, and they can store them or delete as they choose.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to scan images, scan at the highest resolution DPI that you can.

Consider scanning the back of items; they may have data that you want to preserve with the front.

If you're scanning photos from a scrap book scan the page first; there's often data to be gained from the items grouped on a page. Then carefully remove if you can without damage the items and scan them individually.

Come up with a file naming scheme before you scan.

Save the original scan as a tiff if possible, PNG if not, .jpg as last option (.jpg is compressed; smaller files but you lose data; later technology may be able to make use of data more effectively)

Include a serialized number as the first part of any naming scheme.

01_3_23_1934_John_Brown.tiff

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some solid ideas there. Thanks!

Is tiff one of the options on a typical scanner? Mr. Maryn's doing the scanning. I have an ancient one and I know it can only do jpg and gif. I can't remember, maybe bitmap...

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Some solid ideas there. Thanks!

Is tiff one of the options on a typical scanner? Mr. Maryn's doing the scanning. I have an ancient one and I know it can only do jpg and gif. I can't remember, maybe bitmap...

It's typically an option in the software; you can usually set it as a Preference in the software or use Save As in the file menu.

TIFF is an ancient file format; it's very very stable now, and it isn't compressed so all the data of the scan is retained.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And even if you scan everything, keep the originals of documents. I have the original of my great grandparents marriage certificate. I also have the receipt from where my father-in-law's father paid their passage to NY from Italy in 1924. And lots of other stuff. But the documents don't take nearly as much space as photos.

MM

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
And even if you scan everything, keep the originals of documents. I have the original of my great grandparents marriage certificate. I also have the receipt from where my father-in-law's father paid their passage to NY from Italy in 1924. And lots of other stuff. But the documents don't take nearly as much space as photos.

MM

They really don't. Consider keeping them in archival envelopes or similar, to protect them from decay. I wept over some of the things my relatives stored in plastic bags.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm very aware that although there's no sign these photos and papers were ever wet, they were stored in a cardboard box and in file folders, Tyvek envelopes, an plastic bags in various basements including my own, none of which kept that horrific mildew smell from permeating the entire collection. That's part of the reason Mr. Maryn and I are leaving them spread out in our underutilized living room, to let the smell dissipate and the papers to get truly dry before being stored away. I plan to buy archival-paper envelopes and a seal-able plastic bin or six. But they'll have to go back to the basement. We have no attic floor in this house.

Maryn, who may frame some of the pix