• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

D.I.D. / split personality conversation. Would like input

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I've never read a book where the MC had DID or a split personality, and I've never even considered writing something like this before, so I could use some input. I have done some research on DID, and am continuing to pursue that.

Background: the dual personalities have existed for a while, and the split came about through trauma. The alter called 'Rat' was created to cope with violence, and usually responds in kind when that circumstance arises. Alan, the original personality, tends to be cautious, and is compulsive about planning ahead and carefully considers ramifications before acting on anything.

In this scene (the first where they are both aware of the other), Alan/Rat have been in a car accident with head trauma, and now they are able to speak directly to each other for the first time.

As I said, I've never written anything like this before, so comments and suggestions are very welcome. Here's a VERY rough first attempt at dialogue between the two personalities.

===

It was quiet; the few sounds he heard were muted. Rat slowly eased his eyes open. He was in a dimly lit room; the only light was just what could peek around the edges of the closed door. Someone was deeply breathing nearby as if they were asleep. It hurt a little to turn his head, but he saw the dim outline of three other beds spaced evenly between himself and a darkened window on the far wall.

It must be night, he realized. He didn’t like the antiseptic smell of this place, and guessed that he was in a hospital. He had a headache to rock the ages. What the fuck had happened?

‘We were in an accident, don’t you remember?’ a disembodied voice whispered.

“Who’s that?” he asked. His voice sounded rough and deep as it echoed off the stark surfaces of the room.

‘Shh…’, the mysterious voice cautioned. ‘Don’t talk out loud. Just think words at me, and I’ll hear you just fine.’

“Where the hell are you?” he questioned in a lowered voice. Maybe one of the patients in the other beds was talking to him? Whatever was going on was fuckin’ weird.

‘Will you please be quiet?’ the soft voice beseeched, and it felt as if his own head wanted shake in exasperation. ‘It’s just me, Alan. Rat, if they hear you having a conversation with yourself, they’ll lock us both up in a padded room. So just shut up, and just think at me.’

Rat tried to sit up to have a better look around the place, but it hurt too much to move. It looked like there was a needle stuck in his arm, and one of those beep-beep machines that he had seen on TV was standing sentinel beside his bed. ‘You can hear me? What the fuckin’ hell is going on?’

‘It’s alright brother, just calm down. You’ve known I was here for a long time, didn’t you?’ Alan asked.

‘Yeh, I knew. Coulda used your help on my fuckin' Algebra test last week,’ Rat replied.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'd think you've got a lot of options, as there's not a lot of professional belief this even occurs, and a lot of differing experiences among people who say they experience it, so ... write what serves your story?

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
I'd think you've got a lot of options, as there's not a lot of professional belief this even occurs, and a lot of differing experiences among people who say they experience it, so ... write what serves your story?

That's pretty much the route I'm taking.

K.S. Crooks

Registered
Reaction score
Create two distinct personalities, the same way you would it was two characters. The difference being they share all the same memories prior to the split. What typically happens after the split is one of the personalities may become dominant. This means it experiences all the activities the person does whether it's in control at the time or not. The other personality only is aware of the activities when it's in control. There's usually a specific activity or circumstance that will always trigger the stronger personality to take over. Often this is a defence mechanism to protect the person from some type if mental and/or physical harm.

Some places you can see great examples of this is Batman stories involving Two-Face, the show Bates Motel (based on the movie Psycho) and the movie Fight Club. Each of these has a different take on the reason for the split, the effect it has on the person and how the dominant and recessive personalities co-exist.

Some further options is whether the character "sees" either personality in the mirror, "sees" them in the same room. Does each personality have different people with whom they have relationships, do they hangout in the same or different places. This can lead to other characters knowing the MC has two personalities and deciding how to deal with situation. Are the personalities working towards the same objective (perhaps in a different manner) or does each have their own goal. A lot of work and fun on your part will occur with the story involving this.

Last edited:

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Thank you for your thoughts KS.

I've decided to lower the emphasis on DID in my novel. I wrote the first chapter, and decided that the DID was getting in the way of the plot. Currently I'm going through my outline again and will rewrite the first chapter again to see how it feels.

Again, thanks!