Is only one of these "sentences" correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustinF

Banned
Reaction score
You’re just following me, go home.

You’re just following me. Go home.

Also this...

I find it's better not to get feedback from people I know personally; I just wanted to show you my progress.

vs

I find it's better not to get feedback from people I know personally. I just wanted to show you my progress.

Last edited:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You’re just following me, go home.

You’re just following me. Go home.

Yeah, first one is a comma splice.

Also this...

I find it's better not to get feedback from people I know personally; I just wanted to show you my progress.

vs

I find it's better not to get feedback from people I know personally. I just wanted to show you my progress.

Those are equivalent.

TomFoskett

Get your commas here!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tomfoskett.com
If the phrases before and after the comma both make sense as complete sentences, that's a comma splice and is generally considered incorrect.

You can sometimes get away with comma splices when the phrases are short, particularly in fiction where you've got more stylistic wiggle room. That's especially true for dialogue, since a comma splice is sometimes a better representation of how we talk.

Semicolons have a number of uses, but the way you've used one here is correct; both sides of the semicolon should be able to stand as separate sentences. Your example is also correct with a full stop.

The difference is that a semicolon emphasises the link between the two phrases, while a full stop doesn't.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd call the version with the comma a comma splice. "Go home" is a sentence all by itself. So if I were writing this, I'd use You're just following me. Go home.

Maryn, not really following you, honest

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In the context of informal fictional narrative, you can probably get away with any of these versions. Although I'd prefer the second version of your first example, because it conveys better the way I think a character would speak it. The first version is, technically, a comma splice, and would be frowned upon in more formal writing just for that reason.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.