Blogging Idea

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
I had an idea for a blog recently:

Each post would be a few paragraphs, or a short chapter of a larger work whether it's a short story, novel, or what have you. Those interested in reading more would subscribe to the newsletter to get the full version. People could subscribe to the newsletter and get a limited number of full reads per month, or pay say $0.99 a month or whatever and get unlimited or tiered access.

Proceeds would be split among contributing authors based on number of downloads. Kinda like Amazon's Kindle Unlimited, but hopefully more equitable, and gets authors more reads.

Thoughts, comments, feedback?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Subscription services and serial have been tried many times, and only successful in a few cases--mainly very prolific singe authors in a clear niche. The problem is most customers are not super interested, and you need volume to pay the authors any kind of decent up front rate.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
In my limited experience, it's hard enough to get newsletter followers when you're giving something away for free. I think charging would kill it dead.

I would just be annoyed at the teasers, but I suppose you could try it.

Generally, a newsletter gives you something you can't get anywhere else for free. There are enough free short stories on blogs that I don't think paying for them will appeal to many. It could possibly work if you have a big enough audience and name recognition.

If you really want to monetize your blog, I'd just add a tip jar. Put it there and see if it does anything. I went to a blog that stated if I found anything useful I should pay for it. I haven't been back.

But I'm using my blog to build a reader base. I gave away an entire 22k collection of short stories to do the same thing. It seems to me that the best move is to provide value first, but my blog's still pretty small. Last week I had 500 hits. Huffington Post is in no danger. :)

Dona St Columb

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I think unless the author/s in question already had a significant readership, this would be unlikely to work. Mainly because there is just *so much* available out there, in terms of short stories and serialised novels that people can read for free, you really have to be able to convince people that your work is worth paying for, and that would be difficult to do unless the writers were already well-known.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
All good points/feedback - tyvm all, another idea I'll stop letting occupy my mind.