MG books with great opening.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, this is a selfish request as on my latest book I am querying I have a feeling my opening might be a tad too flat. I feel it picks up after the first couple pages (pirates kidnapping the MC's dad seems like a good reason for that) but worry the beginning doesn't have that pizzazz you need it to have. I recently saw the opening for the first Harry Potter book and I forgot how much I loved that opening and it drew me in. I was hoping the great community here could suggest books with great openings. While this is obviously a selfish request I hope others get something out of it as well!

Thanks so much, as always, everyone's help is greatly appreciated.

jlmott

Hello, I must be going
Registered
Reaction score
I like the opening line to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book: "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife." It's very dramatic, and from there it continues to build the tension about what happens to the MC's family and how the MC, only an infant, escapes. Interesting enough, we do not learn the identity of the knife holder until the end of the book.

On the other hand this is how Natalie Babbitt opens Tuck Everlasting: "The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color."

No characters or plot at all, but it is just as memorable. In both cases, the writing compels us to keep reading (or this reader at least). Same with the opening of Harry Potter, which only hints at things to come and only incidentally mentions the MC. So there are many ways to start your book. If you think it is too flat, is it because it starts in the wrong place, or is it that the writing itself isn't compelling enough? Probably the best way to figure it out it to have another pair of eyes (or better, several eyes) take a look and offer up an opinion. If many are coming to the same conclusion, whatever that might be, then that is something to be considered.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I've had a couple beta readers and no one has brought anything up of it being bad per say but I just have a feeling it is too flat. I feel it just is wrong all together of what is being said. I think it should start where it starts but in a different way. Funny enough, I'm reading the Graveyard Book now (on the last chapter). The opening to Harry Potter always sticks out to me as a great opening as well.

benjj

Registered
Reaction score
I was going to die. Impact, Steven Whibley

"I"m cursed." Glimpse, SW

I checked my watch. "We have sixteen minutes." Relic, SW

All three openers hooked me from the start. I love his short sharp titles, too.

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
I have first pages of Each Little Bird that Sings, Semiprecious, Whales on Stilts, The Sisterhood off the Traveling Pants, Golden and Grey, and the first of the Series of Unfortunate Events on my desk. They were given out as part of a presentation on openings. They all hint at the kind of book that's coming. The key to your beginning is often in your ending. What is the promise you need to make to the reader on page one so you can fulfill it by the last page?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Debbie, that is an interesting way to look at it. Definitely something for me to mull over.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com

MaryLennox

Registered
Reaction score
I like the opening line to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book: "There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife." It's very dramatic, and from there it continues to build the tension about what happens to the MC's family and how the MC, only an infant, escapes. Interesting enough, we do not learn the identity of the knife holder until the end of the book.

On the other hand this is how Natalie Babbitt opens Tuck Everlasting: "The first week of August hangs at the very top of summer, the top of the live-long year, like the highest seat of a Ferris wheel when it pauses in its turning. The weeks that come before are only a climb from balmy spring, and those that follow a drop to the chill of autumn, but the first week of August is motionless, and hot. It is curiously silent, too, with blank white dawns and glaring noons, and sunsets smeared with too much color."

No characters or plot at all, but it is just as memorable. In both cases, the writing compels us to keep reading (or this reader at least). Same with the opening of Harry Potter, which only hints at things to come and only incidentally mentions the MC. So there are many ways to start your book. If you think it is too flat, is it because it starts in the wrong place, or is it that the writing itself isn't compelling enough? Probably the best way to figure it out it to have another pair of eyes (or better, several eyes) take a look and offer up an opinion. If many are coming to the same conclusion, whatever that might be, then that is something to be considered.

I just started reading Tuck Everlasting the other day and loved that opening.