How much money can you expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anaya_1de

Hello there,

I'm new but love the forum already. There are so many interesting and helpful threads here, it's amazing!

I'm working on my first book (nonfiction category: Health/ Fitness/ Beauty)
and I was wondering if anybody knows how much money you can expect from your first book deal? I have really no clue and don't want to sell myself under value.
Also I need to see if I can afford to "just" work on my book for 6 months or if I need to find a job because I won't get paid that well once the book is all done.

Any help would be highly appreciated!

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, your first book deal will likely not be on your first book. Expect to work for years before you even get an agent, and then sell your maybe third or fourth book for peanuts. (And non-fiction may be harder to sell if you've already written the book.)

Welcome to the forums, BTW!

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Unless you're a celebrity, you can probably expect an advance somewhere between $0-$10,000, most likely low-mid four figures. Royalties won't kick in until (and if) your book earns out (earns more in royalties than your advance). If you're lucky, this will happen a year or two after its release.

In other words, don't put a deposit on that Mercedes just yet. ;)

Good luck with the book.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
This really depends on how big an audience your book has. If your book is something like 101 Fitness Exercises for Curling Players, you will probably get considerably less money than the author of an equally well written 101 Fitness Exercises for Basketball Players.

Anaya_1de

Thanks guys, I was expecting something along these lines. I just needed to see some real figures to fully understand that you don't get rich of just one book alone.

@Julie: Why exactly is it harder to sell non-ficition if you've already written the book?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
nonfiction

Anaya_1de said:
Thanks guys, I was expecting something along these lines. I just needed to see some real figures to fully understand that you don't get rich of just one book alone.

@Julie: Why exactly is it harder to sell non-ficition if you've already written the book?

It isn't harder to sell a nonfiction book if you've already written it. The thing is, written or not, you will sell the book through a proposal, and many changes may be asked of you, depending on exactly what the publisher wants, and how it wants it.

A new writer usually must finish a novel before selling it, but with nonfiction all you need is a proposal, and maybe three sample chapters to show your writing skill. The point being, you don't usually have to actually write a nonfiction book before selling it, you just have to have a good proposal, some market research showing why this book is needed, and who your competition is.

As for money, there's no way of knowing. It all depends on projected sales of the book, and on the size of the publisher. All things being equal, nonfiction generaly receives higher advances than novels because nonfiction usually sells considerably better on average. A first novel from a large publisher might draw a $7,500 advance, while a nonfiction book from the same writer might well pull a $20,000 advance. It all depends on what marketing has to say, but if a large publisher wants the book, the advance will be higher than it would be for a novel.

Nonfiction also stands a much better chance of earning out than does fiction, and this is another reason for higher advances. Nonfiction simply sells better, tough any book of any type can tank.

Fiction is about the story and the characters, but nonfiction is about the idea and the information. This does not mean you can write nonfiction any old way you want, but it does mean that a publisher will be far more willing to work with you, to give needed help, if the writing isn't up to par than they would be for a novel.

If you have the right idea, and the right information on the right subject, and can show you're the one to write it, it's one heck of a lot easier to get published in nonfiction than in fiction. And you'll likely make a good deal more money, and make it sooner, than you would with fiction.

But there is a lot of competition, and you have to have the right idea, and be able to show the publisher you're the one to turn it into a book. So learn to write a great book proposal, and start it making the rounds before you write the full book.

MOON GODDESS

Registered
Reaction score
A different view

I'll go out on a limb here and add my two cents, even though I'm no expert on the subject.
I think everyone is right about the advances being small. Most people who are new to publishing and don't have an established name, won't have publishing companies taking great financial risks with an unknown.
Then again, there have been a few authors and books, that were great successes overnight. Nicholas Sparks, though fiction, comes to mind, and wasn't "What Color Is Your Parachute?" originally a self-published book that the bigger houses picked up later? So, big dreams and big money can happen overnight, but that's probably the rare and exceptional case.

Status
Not open for further replies.