Advice for R&Rs?

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
I received an R&R from a top notch agent. I *think* this is an R&R anyways. It was "while I'm going to pass, I'm happy to look at a rewrite or any other work you have now or later". She gave me very brief but clear notes on what wasn't working for her.

Does anyone have any advice on R&Rs? I will hire a professional editor who is affordable but high quality (if anyone has any recommendations, I'd love to have some), and I will not being doing a rush job on it.

MartinaMay

Registered
Reaction score
If the agent laid out revision ideas and suggested you could resend, it's definitely an R&R. Congratulations! It's a second shot with an agent, and it sounds like you've interested a good one.

Hiring an editor could increase your odds, but many will say that good critique partners are just as valuable. You don't necessarily have to hire an editor, and you know that hiring one is no guarantee the agent will offer on the end result.

Take some time to think about what the agent wants, and if you agree the changes will improve your book, it makes sense to revise. Even if the agent ends up passing, you have a stronger book to take back to the query trenches.

My best advice is: don't rush it. Make sure the new version is your best work before sending it back.

And good luck!

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
What Martina said. I don't know if you need to pay an editor, to be honest. I'd suggest finding some CPs/betas and giving them the agent's notes to keep in mind as they read your revision and then ask them to be very honest with you.

Definitely do NOT rush it. As hard as it is to wait when you feel like they might forget about you, resist the urge to dash it off and send.

Best of luck with this! That's very exciting that a top-notch agent likes your writing so much.

Last edited:

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
If the agent laid out revision ideas and suggested you could resend, it's definitely an R&R. Congratulations! It's a second shot with an agent, and it sounds like you've interested a good one.

Hiring an editor could increase your odds, but many will say that good critique partners are just as valuable. You don't necessarily have to hire an editor, and you know that hiring one is no guarantee the agent will offer on the end result.

Take some time to think about what the agent wants, and if you agree the changes will improve your book, it makes sense to revise. Even if the agent ends up passing, you have a stronger book to take back to the query trenches.

My best advice is: don't rush it. Make sure the new version is your best work before sending it back.

And good luck!

Thanks! To be honest, I'm finding it difficult to find a critique partner/beta who is knowledgeable about my genre. The only people I'm finding who have solid credentials I have to pay money for, and in a couple cases a LOT of money!

mystere

Registered
Reaction score
What Martina said. I don't know if you need to pay an editor, to be honest. I'd suggest finding some CPs/betas and giving them the agent's notes to keep in mind as they read your revision and then ask them to be very honest with you.

Definitely do NOT rush it. As hard as it is to wait when you feel like they might forget about you, resist the urge to dash it off and send.

Best of luck with this! That's very exciting that a top-notch agent likes your writing so much.

Thanks, though like I said to Martina, I'm finding it hard to find betas that specialize in my genre.

It is exciting...but also nerve-racking...because I know rushing it is bad but I also want it over and done with haha.

DreamBig2014

Copywriter / WF & NA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hey there! If I may ask, what were the agent's suggestions regarding a rewrite? Because if they were specific to plot or dialogue or something along those lines, I'd resist hiring an editor at this stage. It can be difficult finding good betas and CPs, but this site is an excellent resource. I'd start the rewrite now and find out where in Absolute Write to you can post to find a CP in your genre. Might take a minute, but it'll save you $$$.

And RESIST the urge to rush! I know that's incredibly difficult when you're excited and have someone interested- because YAY!- but just take your time and do it RIGHT. Nothing in publishing goes quickly anyway. And there's a reason: quality can't be rushed.

You've got this! Roll up those sleeves, dive into editing, and start appealing for a CP. You'll only find one if you're really looking.

Versailles

Registered
Reaction score
From my experience I'd say pay the professional editor, but make sure it's one who knows his/her stuff and is the right kind of editor- I'm assuming you're looking for a structural edit, one who can look at the whole and give feedback on where to cut / where to beef up / guide you to a more finished and marketable MS.

I'd say thank the agent and ask her if she has any editors she might recommend.

I was in a very similar position a few years ago; top-notch agent turned initial MS down but said he'd be happy to see a revised version (based on 7 pages of his copious and excellent notes). He recommended an editor if I was interested and I jumped at the chance. When I was finished working with the editor (about 2 months) I had no hesitation in resubmitting the revised MS - I thought if agent somewhat liked it before, he's going to LOVE it now. And he did. Signed me without hesitation and we sold a trilogy to Big 6.

Again, make sure it's the right editor for your needs - mine was an ex-acquisition editor for Big 6 in the genre I write, so she was the perfect person to know the end market and what a current acquisition editor would be looking for. Best $2,000 I ever spent.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! To be honest, I'm finding it difficult to find a critique partner/beta who is knowledgeable about my genre. The only people I'm finding who have solid credentials I have to pay money for, and in a couple cases a LOT of money!

What is the genre? :)