Quote Originally Posted by MurderOfCrows View Post
So my inspiration well has run dry. However, I've got at least one manuscript request just off a test pitch with an editor, so I know I need to jog myself to get those revisions done.

I'm writing Victorian-era Adventure/Horror, "Dreadpunk" is the latest term I've heard for it. But I'm bone dry on inspiration. Give me some works, classic to modern to read or watch to see if I can jog my brain. I'm working with the undead and ghosts, so things that feature those are a plus (especially if they're not vampires.)

I've been watching Penny Dreadful & Reading Spirit and know I need to watch Crimson Peak since they're in my spooky wheel house. Any other thoughts or suggestions for this particular subgenre as standout works?
No vampires were harmed in the penning of this reply.

A personal favorite of mine, since Edwardiana seems admissible, is the collection of ghost stories by William Hope Hodgson gathered under the title Carnacki the Ghost-Finder. For my money, it is really hard to surpass "The Whistling Room".

If you've not already read it, there's The King in Yellow, Robert W. Chambers, 1895. It was an inspiration from Lovecraft, who references the script-with-a-curse-on-it in the Cthulhu Mythos. The atmosphere is more decadent than dreadpunk-but Dorian Gray would certainly have read the play-or tried to read it . . .

Again, this may be coals to Newcastle, but rereading "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" might help put you in the mood. There's something about the way Stevenson always writes as if he has a hidden agenda that he won't share with you, no, no, no! that makes his writing get under my skin.

For the adventure side of things, Kipling, always. "The Man Who Would Be King"-short story AND movie; Kim.

Finally, although published in 1983, The Woman in Black is a splendid recreation of the Victorian ghost story. (Disclaimer: I've not seen the Daniel Radcliffe film version).

I hope you find inspiration!