Children's books - Author's picture on the back or no?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Hello there, and apologies if this is in the wrong place.

A friend of mine is putting together a children's book, aimed at kindergarteners and thereabouts. She was curious to know if she should put her author's picture on the back of it, or not.

It's not my genre, so I couldn't give her an authoritative answer. Does anyone with experience in this field have a preference, and if so, then why?

Thank you for your time.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
I have published a couple of picture books traditionally. No picture or author info. was included with either. However, many of the big houses used to put a picture and bio. on the back inside cover. Some houses, like Sterling, (Barnes & Noble) still do. If she is self-publishing, it is really a matter of personal taste. My advice would be to take a look at some of the jackets on picture books in a bookstore and/or library and see what she likes. There is really no right or wrong on this.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
Moving to the Writing for Kids room since I think the thread will get more responses from the regs over there.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I think I was about nine or ten before I really made the connection that the name on the cover was the name of the actual person who actually wrote the book. Until then, it hadn't really mattered, I pretty much picked books by title or cover. So, I'm thinking that for kindergarten level books, a picture wouldn't add much.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
As a reader, I think I was about nine or ten before I really made the connection that the name on the cover was the name of the actual person who actually wrote the book. Until then, it hadn't really mattered, I pretty much picked books by title or cover. So, I'm thinking that for kindergarten level books, a picture wouldn't add much.

Same here. Remembering back, when I was very little, my favorite back covers were the wraparound kind, with bonus adoration if the images taken separately were different than the image as a whole (so maybe there's a fluffy cute critter on the front, and a scary snake-looking image on the back, and then when you look at it as a whole, you realize the "snake" is actually the tail of the cute fluffy animal, that kind of thing).

When I was a bit older, the only author images I remember liking were the ones that looked, to my child-mind, "interesting." The only one I really remember looking at much was Shel Silverstein. Kid-me found his face really intriguing for some reason. (Just googled it, and apparently a lot of people were scared of his picture? What the heck?)

Anyway, I wouldn't put my face on a kid's book simply because my face is fairly boring, and I'd figure, "what kid wants to look at me when they could look at a cool drawing instead?"

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I recently learned that when it comes to picture books, there is actually nothing on the back cover. As in, no blurb, no author info, nothing. It's usually a continuation of the front cover, a wrap around. Or more images from the cover on the back. I had no idea, had never noticed, but then when I looked at the picture books I owned I realised generally this was true.

So if your friend wants to do a pic and author blurb, as someone else suggested, they should do it on the INSIDE of the back cover.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
These are good perspectives and I've passed on the salient points and views to my friend. Thank you very much!

AlmaRobert

Registered
Reaction score
I lately learned that when it pertains to image publications, there is in fact absolutely nothing on the back cover. As in, no blurb, no writer info, absolutely nothing. It's normally a continuation of the front cover, a wrap around.

Writer India