Simultaneous Novel Submissions

stout

Trying to live the author's dream.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brandonketchum.com
The following question is about publishers that have no specific prohibitions listed against simultaneous submissions, and have no listed response times, and state that lack of response can be construed as a rejection.

Is it okay to simultaneously submit to multiple publishers?

I mean, with no response time and assumption of rejection if you receive no response, this means you either receive a quick acceptance, decide to let it dangle for a long while without any idea if it's being considered, or randomly determine at some point down the line it's okay to submit elsewhere. Well, my thought is to simply submit to multiple markets. If you receive and accept an offer from one, you can just write to the others, say you subbed elsewhere because you assumed you had been rejected, and rescind your submission. This sounds more than reasonable to me. Am I being crazy, or worse, unprofessional, in thinking this?

I know how silly those qualifiers sound because one might assume these must be ridiculously unprofessional publishers that shouldn't be subbed to. Sadly, I can count many highly respected and reputable publishers that fit in such a box.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
The following question is about publishers that have no specific prohibitions listed against simultaneous submissions, and have no listed response times, and state that lack of response can be construed as a rejection.

Is it okay to simultaneously submit to multiple publishers?

Yes, definitely.

I mean, with no response time and assumption of rejection if you receive no response, this means you either receive a quick acceptance, decide to let it dangle for a long while without any idea if it's being considered, or randomly determine at some point down the line it's okay to submit elsewhere. Well, my thought is to simply submit to multiple markets. If you receive and accept an offer from one, you can just write to the others, say you subbed elsewhere because you assumed you had been rejected, and rescind your submission. This sounds more than reasonable to me. Am I being crazy, or worse, unprofessional, in thinking this?

Again, you're right. If you get an offer, just contact everyone who has the book already and let them know, and give them a deadline to respond. Two weeks is plenty.

I know how silly those qualifiers sound because one might assume these must be ridiculously unprofessional publishers that shouldn't be subbed to. Sadly, I can count many highly respected and reputable publishers that fit in such a box.

It's not silly at all. It's wise to ask questions. You're good.