Andrew McCarthy writes a YA Novel

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Here's more info here: http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...s/article/72977-q-a-with-andrew-mccarthy.html

I really liked him as an actor, liked a lot of his 80's movies. So he wrote a YA novel, Just Fly Away by Algonquin which isn't a huge publisher. I checked on Goodreads and it doesn't seem to be getting a bunch of good reviews. I didn't read it so I don't know, but it's got me curious. Anyone here read it? If so, what did you think?

Just wanted to add that he's also a travel writer, which I didn't know. But was successful in that too. It just looks like YA might not be his thing. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
the YA's not out yet :tongue

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly had no idea who he was or why I should care that he wrote a YA novel...

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I honestly had no idea who he was or why I should care that he wrote a YA novel...

I thought the same thing until I clicked on the link and saw his picture. He kinda has a generic name and he isn't super popular anymore. Not in acting at least. But he was huge in the 80's though. I think he even might have been part of the "brat pack."

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. I'm still not seeing why I should care that he wrote a YA novel. If it sounds interesting and is written well, I'll pick it up. If not, I won't. Were it not for this thread, I wouldn't recognize the name, and he's probably not going to be able to depend on name recognition to sell to today's average teen. So why not just judge him as we would any other YA author: on his ability to write a book that appeals to teens?