Phony baloney alibis: Have you ever been caught in one?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My grandkid Zeke sneaked into his big sister's room this afternoon and was handling her treasures--she's fifteen, he's three, so naturally her treasures are hard to resist. Mom and dad were downstairs and Zeke was supposed to be napping. They heard a crash and rushed upstairs to find a ceramic figurine in pieces on the floor but Zeke sleeping soundly in bed--lots of snoring noises. Since they were the only people in the house my daughter, Hannah, charged Zeke with the crime but he was not having any of it. His alibi (Goldilocks did it) was flimsy but that was his story and he was sticking to it.

So his parents told him he would stay in his room until he told the truth. For about 20 minutes he wailed "Don't you want to hug me NOW?" but eventually came clean and admitted that he broke the stachoop. Good parenting, right? But I am laughing at a whole bull rack of BS alibis handed to me by my own kids over the years.

Hannah, this particular daughter, once had to be at school extra early one fine spring morning, her senior year. She left before seven, in her little gray Mazda. When five p.m. rolled around she still was not home. This was in the days of landlines and I was worried so I started calling around but just then I had a phone call from Hannah. She was at a friend's house, a farm, some 20 miles from home. She had gone to this friend's house to work on a presentation for drama class and, wouldn't you know? Her car had a flat tire. Not to worry, no sense sending Dad out to fix the flat. Friend's dad was fixing the flat but had to drive into town for new parts (!!! ???) and she would be home in just an hour and a half.

That "buy new parts" was a red flag but the bigger flag was the newfangled device that her Dad had them install on the phone line that month--a modern wonder called caller id, which told us that she was not at her friend's house in our county but in a bar in a college town about an hour and a half away! There was wailing and gnashing of teeth when she got home!

I, myself, have been caught in a phony baloney or two. What about you? --s6

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. I did stuff -- I remember once a friend's parents were going out of town, but didn't want friend to stay home alone. So friend told parents was staying at my house. I told parents was staying at friend's house. Another kid told parents was staying I forget where, and all stayed at the empty house for the weekend. We didn't get busted though. Our parents were gullible. :) Mine didn't really care about that stuff, tbh -- no curfew, was allowed to stay home alone all weekend, etc.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We were supposed to be going to church but instead my brother took the car out to spin donuts in the mud in some field. We washed the car, suspicious enough but were totally busted when mud fell off the bottom of the car onto the driveway.

I'm sure I'll think of something more fun that that, give me time.

In the meantime, I can't believe the kid was smart enough at age 3 to pretend to be asleep.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
This isn't his first naptime incursion into forbidden territory.

My sister and I once were given the family car--a 1966 Imperial, very impressive!-- and told to pick up bias tape for our mother who was sewing something and wanted to finish before starting supper. We made a side trip to Ellinwood, a town about ten miles from us and notorious for cute boys, had a soda, cruised the park, met some certifiably cute boys shooting baskets, chatted them up and and then headed for home.

We were late but had an airtight story about the great bias tape shortage. Mom bought the story BUT one of the cute boys we met turned out to be a second cousin. He told his mom that he met us. His mom called her husband's cousin--our mom!-- to say how taken her son and his friends were with mom's daughters. That was the last time we saw the car that summer!

The worst part is that we vaguely remembered this second cousin from childhood reunions BUT only as a chubby, bespectacled tattletale with a high, squeaky voice. Somehow he had been transformed into a jock and we did not recognize him! --s6

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
I actually didn't pull this kind of stuff, though I was accused of it quite a lot. Probably because my brother is something of a compulsive liar and my mom likes to project her own experiences on everyone else.

The one instance that stands out best was the time I went to the movies with a friend. Her parents dropped us off, my mother picked us up. While we waited for the post-movie lobby to clear up a bit, I decided I wanted a snack. Right outside the theater in the wall was an ice pop stand. I took all of two minutes to buy myself and my friend some pops.

Man, you'd think I'd killed a man. When I climbed in the car it was all accusations of messing around with boys. Lying and going to bars (I was 12, btw). And, naturally, shoplifting the lipstick we were clearly wearing. (And another point of clarification - she was already trying to foist makeup on me; so why would it be forbidden then? That's one I'll never understand.) To which I held up the last stump of my pop and said "funny how my lipstick's the same color as my pop, Mom."

I got grounded for back talk. Eventually my mom realized I was a boring child uninterested in repeating her *ahem* adventurous youth.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I made up some stories, but I don't think I ever got caught.

One of the worst was when I got stung by a wasp at my grandmother's house.

I'm terribly apiphobic - have been my entire life. We were eating outside at Mammaw's and I was freaking out about the bees buzzing around the picnic table. My dad got so angry that I wouldn't sit down and calm down... He insisted they were harmless and I was totally over-reacting. "That type of bee doesn't even HAVE a stinger," he said. We fought and I went running into the house. Not ten minutes later, I laid my arm down on a chair, right on top of a wasp, which stung me. HARD. Mammaw saw the whole thing, chased the thing down with a flyswatter and beat it to a pulp for stinging her baby. Then she threw the body away, treated my sting and said "We're gonna tell your dad this was one of his harmless little bees that stung you." And we did.

My dad honestly thought, until I spilled the beans to him at Mammaw's funeral over 20 years later that it was his fault I got stung and had felt bad about it ever since.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
There wasn't a particular excuse involved in this incident, but Imma share anyway, since it's about kids being sneaky little boogers:

One year we all gathered at my brother's house for the holidays, and I slept on the living-room couch, right across from the tree and stockings.

About 4:00 AM, I awoke to whispers and giggling. Being a sneaky adult myself, I pretended I was still asleep, and watched with great amusement as the three kids proceeded to empty their stockings and examine the contents, comparing presents and generally being freakin' adorable.

Their nocturnal curiosity satisfied, my brother's children proceeded to carefully replace everything in their stockings. My eldest niece, on the other hand, perhaps because she was an only child and therefore unaccustomed to having someone else to blame when she got into mischief, was utterly unversed in the fine art of convering her tracks. She left the contents of her stocking scattered across the floor, and all three tiptoed back to bed.

The next morning, when their parents discovered the mess, my sister was horribly embarrassed and proceeded to lay into her daughter. "Why would you do this? Your cousins didn't ransack THEIR stockings!" The cousins said nary a word. I swear they were both trying to will halos into existence above their little heads. To my niece's credit, she wasn't a tattletale. She accepted her scolding stoicly, although she DID shoot them some well-deserved dirty looks for letting her take the fall alone.

Unfortunately for the little "angels," Aunt Tazlima IS a tattletale, and I'd had a front-row seat to the entire event. I stepped in and let my sister know that her niece and nephew were just as rotten as her daughter, and a good bit sneakier to boot. We all proceeded to share stories of our own childhood sneakiness, and Christmas was saved!

Last edited:

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have a specific tale, but whenever I got in trouble I would immediately blame my older brother. :evil

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I was a very honest child. My older sister had a job cleaning our church after school, and I often stayed with her while she cleaned until Mom could pick us up. Sometimes, my sister would give me a few dollars for helping clean. Other times, I would just explore. In our "office," in the very back corner of a lower shelf, I found a box of Chick Tracts and became very concerned about going to hell. So I rarely did anything bad.

It wasn't until I got into college that I even started to explore my own independence, and finally, in my early twenties, I got a serious boyfriend. We both lived off campus, and my mother had his phone number (in the time of landlines). On occasion, I would not happen to be at my own apartment very early in the morning when she tried to call. Inevitably, she would call his place. But my mother was sometimes not especially eager to know all truths... plus, I was twenty, so she sometimes supplied me with alibis.

"Hi... so... you're at Mark's, then?"
"Uh... yes."
"Oh. You must really like him if... if you get up so early to drive from your place, where you slept, to his place, where he slept, to.... make him breakfast?"
"Um.. right. That's what I did. I woke up, at my place, alone, like always, and came here THIS morning to make breakfast."
"Well. That's nice. And that's what happened. So..."

My father, on the other hand, was certain I was up to something, even when I wasn't and often didn't buy totally real alibis. I lived in an apartment during the school year and mostly also stayed for summer school so I wouldn't have to let got of the apartment. But one summer, I had to pack up everything and move back home. All of my things were stored in the garage, except for some suitcases I kept in my bedroom.

History: My mother also kept a flowerbed full of lush, bright pink periwinkles, which I loved. So that year, she had collected some seed pods from them and given them to me in a plastic baggie. I had planted a few in pots on my porch, but she had given me too many and I still had some, tucked away in my suitcase to use the next year.

So one day, the summer I'm at home, my dad sits me down in the living room, very seriously:

"Is there something you want to tell me?"
"Um... Happy Birthday. I love you, Dad."
"No. Is there something you want to tell me about things you might be doing?"
"Uhh... all right. Okay. So I changed my major again... I know that's going to add a semester but I really think I'm cut out for this writing thing."
"Look, kid... If you ever needed help... you know, if you needed to go somewhere and... get clean... you could tell me."
"What are you even talking about?" *surreptitiously sniffs armpit*
"I'm talking about this!" *shoves plastic baggie of periwinkle seeds in my face*
*Mom swings through living room with laundry* "Honey... *sigh* I told you those were periwinkle seeds... why are you doing this?"
*Dad ignores Mom* "Where did you get these!?"
"What? From Mom! She just said."
Lots of fighting and accusations ensue. Mom has to take Dad outside to show him other periwinkle pods so he can compare. Mom even admits that Dad brought the baggie to her a couple of nights before, exclaiming what are we going to do about this? And Mom said Plant them? which horrified Dad until she told him the were seeds from the flower bed, but apparently, he'd still been working up the nerve to sit me down to talk to me about drugs (at twenty)... Finally, he comes back to the living room and sits me down again.

"Are we good now? Can I go?"
"Yes. But just remember--if you ever need help or need to go someplace to, you know, get clean... you could tell me... Is there anything you want to tell me?"

So 1) What the hell, Dad? You showed those to mom and she told you they were periwinkle seeds and you still think I'm on drugs? 2) You really thought you could trick me into confessing to drug use by confronting me with periwinkle seeds that I full well know are periwinkle seeds? But 3) I guess it's nice to know if I ever did have a drug problem, I could tell Dad and he would help me with rehab? Comforting? I'm not sure.