Blogger/Content Curator Internship for a Retail company to get job in future

Status
Not open for further replies.

writingallthetime

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Is this some kind of buzz word? Content Curator?
I am interested in the content of this company. But it is a SIX month internship UNPAID for ten hours a week remote.
I want to be an editor, but I would not mind also writing on something that interests me and this company interests me.
This social content marketing seems like an amazing way to work from home as a writer if you can land the right gig. I do not like that this is six months unpaid.
What do you guys think?

• Working in collaboration with CEO, develop, maintain and follow a content calendar.
• Working in collaboration with webmaster, develop and follow processes for web content publishing.
• Content curation: use existing content (may include CEO's book and e-books as well as other blogs and articles), create blog posts that collect, filter and organize relevant and valuable content that is beneficial to customers.
• Add context, commentary and attribution to each curated blog post.
• Lead outreach to other bloggers and industry influencers to create relationships and backlinks.
• Blogging: write and edit relevant original blog content.
• Develop both curated and original content based on keywords to create a compelling customer journey and to drive SEO.
• Share content via a variety of channels including the blog and Facebook page. As the team grows, you will collaborate closely with the Social Media Team for further content distribution.
• Perform continuous modifications to blogs by assessing new standards, technologies and trends, to formulate plans for future enhancement to blogging strategies.
• Promote company objectives with each blog article, as you act as a liaison between blog readers and respond to reader input.
• Learn how to search and include keywords into content for search engine optimization.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
As with your other thread, look at the internship very carefully and see not just what the work entails but figure out what--and more importantly, who--you'll be learning from.

To be honest, I'm a bit skeevy of internships that are basically a job, especially for a decently-long term (six months) and unpaid. To me, it's exploitative. I'm also aware it's a reality to break into some industries, so really all this means is be extra, extra sure of who and what you're working with. You should get something out of the internship when you're done. Ask if there's a direct pathway into the company and if the company frequently promotes interns. Ask if you can use the work you do in a portfolio. Ask how closely you'll be able to work with the CEO for mentoring (CEOs are frequently busy, frequently not in the office, and not always the best mentors for entry-level).

Beyond even that, I'm skeevy about content curation and SEO, too. I'm not saying it's not a legit business. It is a changing business. There are some companies do quite interesting work with targeted content, have high-end clients, etc. Others are what we'd content mills, and all you'd be learning is how to write in Wordpress and add a couple tags to try and game the search engines. Not only does that model not have much of a future due to automation, IMO, it's also tedious work and you can learn the skills in 20 minutes on YouTube (Wordpress is dead easy to learn). Not saying it's not a valuable job if you can get it, but it's a job--you're applying for an unpaid internship. You should be getting work that carries some clout and will help you get other jobs in the future. Look at the company's client list. Look at their public-facing projects. They should exist, they should look polished, they should show a range of different work and customization, they should demonstrate good writing fundamentals. If in doubt, post links here and we may be able to help vet them.

From what I see in your post, honestly, it looks like a big job for which the company isn't offering a whole lot of compensation. But these things can be situational, and I'm only one person. Others may have other ideas or more experience in this area than I.
'
Good luck.

writingallthetime

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
WOW! What an awesome reply.
I really appreciate it very much.
It feels like exploit to me also.
Here is what they say I can get out of it. But still, I feel leery. This also does not impress me much.

In addition to receiving high-level skills and experience that will forward your career goals and immediately increase your prospects for higher-paying, more rewarding jobs, you will also receive mentoring on your résumé, interviewing skills, and professional goals. Any work that is not confidential can be added to your professional portfolio. You will work directly with the Content Marketing team and supervisors. You will also have frequent input and communications with the Founder and get the inside, behind-the scenes view of a virtual company. Successful interns will also receive a top-notch letter of recommendation and referrals to important business and employment contacts. In addition, we will gladly help you arrange for academic credit.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That seems like... maintaining someone's blog which promotes his or her book.

If you want a publishing internship, you need an actual publishing internship. Those can be found at publishing houses and the like. They tend to be competitive.

There are plenty of internships that offer no pay or token pay for long hours of real work, but they're real, obvious work with real concerns in fields that are hard to break into and in which interns can traditionally get a toe hold. Writing someone's fucking blog? Not it.

writingallthetime

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Hahaha..My intention is a bit different than most of the highly skilled creative types like yourself. I just need any kind of job in the world which can enable me to be mobile and work at home.
If that means managing someone else's blog, that is okay with me. Surely others will not find that acceptable, like you. But I will not allow myself to get taken advantage of.
I told these people that it was too long an internship without pay. That if they wanted to pay, then I would change my mind. They sell holistic products.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was working off the idea that you wanted to learn to edit, not that you wanted any job you could do from home. There are lots of telemarketing/customer service gigs that have people working from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.