AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Parvus Press seeks SF&F Novels: Up to $3,500 Advance.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Parvus Press seeks SF&F Novels: Up to $3,500 Advance.

EDIT: As of 8/1/2017, we are closed for submissions. We will re-open for submissions in January of 2018. If the AW Staff would prefer I close this thread and re-open in a few months, let me know. Otherwise, leaving it here for history.

(Opening with the tl;dr)
    Who: Parvus Press
    What: Seeking Science Fiction (70K+ words) and Fantasy (90K+ words) novels
    Pay: Advance up to $3,500. Royalties starting at 25% of publisher's receipts and scaling with sales
    Guidelines: www.ParvusPress.com/submissions
    Other highlights: Rights reversion clauses in contracts are author-friendly. We put real money behind marketing. We produce audiobooks. We geek out over compelling characters as much as you do.
    Distribution: Not yet. In short, distributors want a back list to sell and we haven't been around long enough to build a back list. That said, we were able to get our debut release, Vick's Vultures, into Barnes & Noble stores via their small press program. We can't guarantee you bookstore distribution, but it IS our goal and we'll work our tails off to see it happen.

(The long version)

Parvus Press is a growing publisher looking for the next generation of speculative fiction writers. We are seeking fantasy & science fiction novels of 70,000 (SF) or 90,000 (Fantasy) words or more. We pay advances of up to $3,500 and our royalty schedule starts at 25% of publisher's gross receipts and scales up from there with sales volume (We don't deduct any costs before we pay your royalty). Submission guidelines can be found at http://www.ParvusPress.com/submissions

Why should you give us a shot at being your publisher? We have one novel released (VICK'S VULTURES by Scott Warren, released 10/2016) that is performing very well with over 4,500 copies sold. We have another novel (COURT OF TWILIGHT by debut author Mareth Griffith) scheduled for release this summer and an as-yet-unannounced fall release on deck (spoilers!). We are well-funded and are not a fly-by-night operation, a vanity press, or a fire-and-forget publisher just trying to scoop up as many manuscripts as we can.

We're founded by two guys with sales & marketing backgrounds who have been friends for too long and read all the books. Our third owner is a professional editor with decades of experience who is damn good at his job. We are dedicated to building a top-tier press from the ground up and we need some great writers who are willing to take the journey with us.

We're looking to acquire one novel in the next few months to finish out our 2018 publication schedule and six titles for our 2019 publishing schedule. We are most interested in novels that fit comfortably in the genre core but have a new take on a trope, bring a new element to the storytelling, or in some other way innovate the storytelling process while remaining familiar to readers. Think Rothfuss' use of first person narrative and the unreliable narrator, Jemisin's use of the 2nd person and multiple time periods, Erikson's "toss the reader in and surround them with so much interesting confusion that they're compelled to figure it out on their own", Ken Liu's everything, Curtis Chen's amazing blending of the action/spy thriller with SF (Read Waypoint Kangaroo if you haven't already).... etc.

We aren't looking for books that reinvent everything or are incredibly experimental (No novels in verse, for example), but novels that innovate in some way. If you can honestly say that nobody but you could possibly have written the novel you've put together, we want to read it.

Questions? Please feel free to engage below, email me directly (colin@parvuspress.com) or say hi on Twitter (@cwcoyle and @ParvusPress). Still more questions? I'll be at the Nebula weekend in Pittsburgh this year. Feel free to accost me and say hello.

Thanks for your time, AW!

- Colin
    Last edited by ParvusColin; 08-08-2017 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Updated to reflect submission pause

figuring it all out
    Are you guys still interested?

We absolutely are, yes!

In the short term, we're looking to pick up two more novels. I'm holding out hope for a "can't put it down" epic fantasy as one. The other can be anything in fantasy or sci-fi.

If you have any other questions, please just let me know!

- Colin

I am a bit curious. With Sci-Fi, would the superhero subgenre be considered? Also along those lines, would a collection of novellas/short stories be a good fit?
    Aspiring sci-fi/fantasy writer, now with more superheroes!

Current WIP: Psycat and the Fevered Highway (Edit stage 1)

I have a blog! Check out http://siwyenbast.wordpress.com/ for heroic tales and camraderie, straight from the heroes themselves.

what are your response times out of interest atm?
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

Superhero genre would fit in nicely, yes. I'd love to see some creative superhero fiction, especially because I think the genre has a long history of interesting character arcs. Adam Christopher's SEVEN WONDERS did this quite well and made for a terrific read.

We are not interested, today, in novellas and short story collections. That MAY change down the line but seeing as we are so new, we don't want to split our focus too many ways. As much as I'd love to be a part of the amazing short fiction being produced today, lack of focus can kill a young business faster than almost anything else.

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

- Colin

Historically, 60 days or less. We did just see a surge in submissions in March, but we're aiming to keep to that 60 day response out of respect for writers. We know that every day you have a submission out can be an anxious day of waiting and we want to minimize that.

We don't require exclusive submissions, however, so submitting to us won't lock up your MS for those full 60 days.

Thanks!

- Colin

Thanks, good to know (I should have specified re exclusive but you've answered that anyway )
    Deferential, glad to be of use,
    Politic, cautious, and meticulous;
    Full of high sentence, but a bit obtuse;
    At times, indeed, almost ridiculous—
    Almost, at times, the Fool.

Who's going for a beer? waylander's Avatar
    How are you about contemporary fantasy with a non-US setting?

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    How are you about contemporary fantasy with a non-US setting?
    In November of this year we are releasing Court of Twilight (http://www.parvuspress.com/court-of-twilight), a contemporary fantasy set in modern Dublin. So I'd say we're pretty comfortable with it!

-Colin

Manuscript submitted to your submissions email address as the subs page failed to load my file. Is there an autoresponder? I received no acknowledgement.

Quote Originally Posted by waylander View Post
    Manuscript submitted to your submissions email address as the subs page failed to load my file. Is there an autoresponder? I received no acknowledgement.
    There is an auto responder that confirms your submission. I just checked and do not see a submission received this AM, so I'm guessing yours didn't go through. I'll check out what's going on with the form. In the meantime, could you please email your submission (With the info our form asks for) to submissions@parvuspress.com? Sorry for the trouble!

The info we need is:

Author Name:
    Author Email:
    Telephone:
    Mailing Address:
    Genre:
    Title:
    Word Count:
    Summary:
    Additonal Info:
    Referred By:
    Mailing List Sign-Up: Yes/No

Resent just now. No autoresponder reply as yet

The autoresponder is just for form submissions. I'll shoot you a manual reply a little later this AM, but I have the submission - thank you!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Colin Coyle, Publisher
    Parvus Press
    www.ParvusPress.com | Twitter: @cwcoyle/@ParvusPress
    colin@parvuspress.com

Alright then, seeing as my superhero work is all short story/novella length as of current, I thank you for your time.
    Aspiring sci-fi/fantasy writer, now with more superheroes!

Current WIP: Psycat and the Fevered Highway (Edit stage 1)

I have a blog! Check out http://siwyenbast.wordpress.com/ for heroic tales and camraderie, straight from the heroes themselves.

practical experience, FTW
    I have a YA SF, 65K novel. Would you be interested in looking at it?