Moving for My Web Site

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
I am thinking about moving the pages of my web site from Angelfire and Tripod. I would move them to Webs.com, but they have been having problems lately. I already have the main part of my site from Webs to Neocities.org. (My site is pretty big. I have been working on for seventeen years now.) Does anyone know of a free web server that will allow me to upload html pages? Shoot me a link.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I am thinking about moving the pages of my web site from Angelfire and Tripod. I would move them to Webs.com, but they have been having problems lately. I already have the main part of my site from Webs to Neocities.org. (My site is pretty big. I have been working on for seventeen years now.) Does anyone know of a free web server that will allow me to upload html pages? Shoot me a link.

Why not pay for a tiny hosting account and your own domain?

Alternatively, if you know how to write html, copying the html to Blogger or WordPress.com isn't hard, and both are free.

More importantly, both make it easy to move your content elsewhere.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I've messed around with several free hosts over the years. Problem is, they tend to be worth exactly what you pay for them. Also, they can vanish or change overnight. Seriously, I think I'd rather go without beer than scrabble around for a free server again. You can get decent real hosting for around $40 a year, sometimes a "lite" package with more bandwidth and space limitations for less. I'm using A Small Orange for my own site, and for a friend's.

The story of how I found ASO is kinda funny...I wanted a free host for the non-profit I worked for. There was this darlin little family-run outfit in Texas called DrakNet, which offered free hosting to a Worthy Cause if one could write up a good why-for -- kind if like grant-writing in miniature, and I got it. After some years DrakNet sold out to A Small Orange, and the site was grandfathered in. Being not only grateful but impressed with the service, I have gone on to make further use of it.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
Why not pay for a tiny hosting account and your own domain?

Alternatively, if you know how to write html, copying the html to Blogger or WordPress.com isn't hard, and both are free.

More importantly, both make it easy to move your content elsewhere.

Broke and I want to upload my files. Plus, I doubt that they would be able to take the massive amount of pages I have created over the years.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
So is this a website, with a bunch of interlinked pages, or more of a blog? It would be slightly tedious, but easy enough to upload pages as posts into a blog at Blogger or WP. Also, because Blogger is owned by Google, those results are typically indexed more quickly than "off-brand" free hosting sites like Wix or Weebly.

The number of files isn't necessarily the issue. File size is more important. How much space are you using?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_web_hosting_services

Note that only one of the listed sites allows FTP upload of files.

Also, there are SEO (search engine optimization) considerations regarding having your content spread out over multiple sites. Search engines aren't going to connect you well to multiple locations. It'll be far better to consolidate all in one place.

ETA: One web hosting review site (http://reviewsignal.com/webhosting/). There are many such review sites out there.

Last edited:

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
So is this a website, with a bunch of interlinked pages, or more of a blog? It would be slightly tedious, but easy enough to upload pages as posts into a blog at Blogger or WP. Also, because Blogger is owned by Google, those results are typically indexed more quickly than "off-brand" free hosting sites like Wix or Weebly.

The number of files isn't necessarily the issue. File size is more important. How much space are you using?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_free_web_hosting_services

Note that only one of the listed sites allows FTP upload of files.

Also, there are SEO (search engine optimization) considerations regarding having your content spread out over multiple sites. Search engines aren't going to connect you well to multiple locations. It'll be far better to consolidate all in one place.

ETA: One web hosting review site (http://reviewsignal.com/webhosting/). There are many such review sites out there.

I will check them out.

TrinaM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
trinamalone.com
Consider WordPress.com. You'll be limited on theme, but it is free and now includes free SSL.

Once you get to the point where you have to pay, then it is much easier to just pay for hosting and install WordPress.org -- or some other content management system.

I get wanting to do it all by hand. I've done that. Then I learned PHP...and then I found content management systems like WordPress and Joomla, and I didn't look back. So nice to have someone else managing the heavy lifting. And there is a lot to be said about SEO.