I signed with an agent!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.E.N. Andov

Registered
Reaction score
That sounds exciting. Validation as a writer!

When you chat with your agent, does she take the time? Does she make you feel like a rough diamond or just a stone?

When you have time, will you say a few things about what led you to the decision to partner with an agent? Id also be curious to know about the process of finding agents to approach.

(A)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Well done, OP! That's great news! So exciting!

When you chat with your agent, does she take the time? Does she make you feel like a rough diamond or just a stone?

My agent doesn't make me feel like either of those. She takes me and my writing seriously, and is both friendly and professional.

When you have time, will you say a few things about what led you to the decision to partner with an agent? Id also be curious to know about the process of finding agents to approach.

(A)

I chose to find an agent because working with an agent is the best way to get the best contracts with the best publishers.

If you want to find out about how to find an agent there are lots of threads on AW which will help you. Start looking in our Ask The Agent room. Also, consider getting hold of a copy of From Pitch to Publication, by Carole Blake. It's a great

Qwest

Here on a catnap
Registered
Reaction score
Hey LeeWhoWrites, I think planning a series will be seriously - or is that series-ly ;) - fun! It will be such a wonderful journey. You'll no doubt be peppering the first book with hooks for later... I just happen to be re-watching the Harry Potter films again, and I'm thinking a lot about this. I love how his parseltongue is set up in the first book, but hooks into the series. So much fun to leave the bread crumbs along the route. Good luck, what an adventure you're on!

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score

(A)

She does dedicate a lot of time, yes. I live quite a way away from where she is based, so we've only had phone calls so far, however she wants me to go up to London to meet her in April/May. But our phone calls have all lasted at least an hour, the longest being maybe two, two and a half. Funnily enough, I think the quickest phone call I've had from her was the one on Friday where she offered representation! And that was only because I was so speechless... now that I've had a few days to digest everything, I've got tons of questions popping into my head!

What made me want to get an agent was that typical dream that I'm sure almost all writers have at some point... walking into a bookshop and seeing my books on the shelf. Selling film rights. Red carpets and merchandise and video games of my books. Ok, so I know that's a bit extreme, but that was well and truly my dream when I was eight years old. I wanted the Harry Potter experience. I've obviously matured a lot since then, but I still cling to the first half of that dream. I've always wanted to walk into a major bookshop and see my books on the shelves. And I know that the best way to do that is by traditionally publishing, and in order to do that you need an agent. I was beginning to consider self-publishing, but then this happened, so it's not really an option for me anymore. I want to follow this path for now and see what happens.

You should try going onto litrejections.com... it's an incredible resource for writers. It lists agents in every country and what genres they represent etc. Go check it out!

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! I'm just worried I won't do the later books justice, or that I peaked too early with the first book! But I'm sure these are all natural worries for a writer to have, and not abnormal at all.

I'm coming up with all these ideas for peppering (I like that term, btw!), but my agent (argh, I can't get used to saying that!) wants all of the books to work as standalones, so I'm struggling slightly - like should I pepper some crumbs and foreshadowing in each book, or will that raise questions and mean that the book doesn't work as a standalone? Hmmmmmm! But yes, I do love that about Harry Potter. She is truly the queen of the series - I may have to study those books a little! Also Cassandra Clare... she writes a mean series.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
That's tremendous! Congratulations. Especially about the excitement of the agent on the series potential. Looking into the future! Good luck!

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Lee! It is nice to have a bit of time to get over the excitement/shock of signing before you go out on submission, just relax and enjoy the ride :cool:

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! Definitely still excited about everything, especially seeing as I'm waiting for my client agreements to arrive in the post for me to sign and send back. I need to keep one copy for myself, which I may frame and look at whenever I'm feeling low :p

I am, of course, kidding... or am I?! I don't even know myself.

L.E.N. Andov

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome. Thanx for the pointers.

Forgive me for presuming but, please be extra careful with the signing of documents. Make certain that you understand EVERYTHING. Let at least one, preferably two or three trusted friends or family review the documents and quiz you.

Have you asked for and been given the names and contacts of other talent this agent represents?

Is there some clause in there that allows the agent to drop you without further obligation? Do you have the same privilege? How often are the money terms negotiated? You don't have to answer, I'm just throwing out there stuff that I would be pondering when I find myself in a similar pair of shoes.

Cheers

(A)

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, I really appreciate your concern. I have actually been sent a photo by my partner of the envelope while I've been in work, just so I know it's arrived (I've been waiting like a crazy person for days for the agreements to arrive). But I'll definitely be sure to give them an EXTREMELY thorough read.

I actually follow all of their authors on twitter (they tend to announce every single new signing they have, and have quite a wide following), and speak regularly to a few of them. One of their books has just been released with Macmillan, so rest assured that they are a very legit agency (the two agents who run it have a loooot of experience), and they have a few upcoming releases with major publishing houses.

But yes, I'm going to give it a really thorough read! Thank you so much for the advice! Now I can't wait to go home and pore through them!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me for presuming but, please be extra careful with the signing of documents. Make certain that you understand EVERYTHING. Let at least one, preferably two or three trusted friends or family review the documents and quiz you.

A literary lawyer would be better if you're worried, but the agent agreement I received was very straightforward and simple: just a page and a half of reasonable stuff. It helps that I know what standard terms are, but even without that knowledge it wouldn't have been difficult to ensure the agreement was acceptable. Also, family and friends aren't likely to know what's reasonable or not in these circumstances, so I'm not sure they'd necessarily notice if something were amiss.

Have you asked for and been given the names and contacts of other talent this agent represents?

One of the reasons I submitted to the agent I have now signed with is that I knew several people who were represented by the agent and the agency, and the agency (Curtis Brown) has a huge, worldwide reputation. So this didn't really come up.

Is there some clause in there that allows the agent to drop you without further obligation? Do you have the same privilege? How often are the money terms negotiated? You don't have to answer, I'm just throwing out there stuff that I would be pondering when I find myself in a similar pair of shoes.

Cheers

(A)

Terms for ending the agreement are reasonable and work for all concerned.

The "money terms", as you say, are standard across all agents and agencies, and I doubt they'll be renegotiated for a long time. It's the usual 15% of home sales, with a higher commission on foreign and translation rights, film and TV, etc.

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Old Hack, mine was exactly the same... they were there waiting for me when I got home yesterday and matched your description exactly. A page and a half of pretty much standard stuff. I've researched into this a lot, so I sort of knew what to expect - 15% for UK sales, 20% for foreign/translation etc. I did have my mother look over it, but of course, she doesn't know anything about the industry, so I actually had to explain to her that it was all standard.

With regards to 'dropping' your agent, it states in my contract that either party has to give the other three months notice before the termination of the contract.

Also, Old Hack - you're with Curtis Brown! That's awesome! :D

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much! It's my two-week agentiversary today, haha!

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Question: If you haven't already, is there any way you'd be willing to post your successful query letter on here? I think it can be immensely helpful for those of us that are still in the query trenches to see what has worked for others. (And if you've already posted it, slide yo gurl a link)

Congrats again!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Question: If you haven't already, is there any way you'd be willing to post your successful query letter on here? I think it can be immensely helpful for those of us that are still in the query trenches to see what has worked for others. (And if you've already posted it, slide yo gurl a link)

Congrats again!

There's a thread for successful query letters here

I would post mine (I recently signed with a new agent too) but I'm in the UK and there are lots of differences between the two places, as far as submissions are concerned: I doubt my query would have got anything like the response it did without the pages which accompanied it.

leewhowrites

Registered
Reaction score

Congrats again!

I definitely would do this... BUT the way I got my agent wasn't actually your typical journey. I finished my MS, did a VERY quick round of edits and started querying it when it was extremely raw. Too raw. I was too impatient and shouldn't have dived into querying so quickly. So I actually got all rejections, apart from a few very encouraging personal rejections - and an offer for a phone call from who would become my agent. We talked, she said she could see so much potential in it but that it was just way too raw and not ready. So she offered me first refusal. I would work with her on the book (without an offer of representation), and I wouldn't take the book elsewhere. If, at the end of our time working together, she felt the book was ready, she would represent. If not, I was free to take the book to other agents, completely professionally edited. It was a good deal. It took 1.5 years to work on the book and edit it with her, because obviously a lot of her time is prioritised to her actual authors, but after a huge rewrite I resubmitted, and she offered to represent me.

So mine wasn't your typical journey. It was very long-winded. Obviously it worked out for me in the end, but I wouldn't say my query was up to scratch. I was just lucky that my agent saw a lot of potential in my MS at a very early stage.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
So mine wasn't your typical journey. It was very long-winded. Obviously it worked out for me in the end, but I wouldn't say my query was up to scratch. I was just lucky that my agent saw a lot of potential in my MS at a very early stage.

That is a very inspiring story. It's nuts that she saw that much potential in the writing and was willing to work on it with you for over year. Really telling about just how much promise she saw in you. Congratulations, that's well earned, you really put in the time and effort.

Gidget1225

Registered
Reaction score
Leewhowrites: HUGE CONGRATULATIONS!!! How I wish that I had been on AW for your original post! But, better late than never.
Planning a series, however, is a bit daunting. My book has a closed ending, and it's quite climatic, so I'm worried I won't be able to do as well with the potential sequels. There's a lot more that I can do with the concept and the characters, for sure, but I'm just worried I won't be able to pull the ideas off very well.
I think that you will be surprised how much more story you can find to tell. That's been my experience, anyway (unpublished experience as it may be ;)).

Status
Not open for further replies.