For agents that request the first 5-10 pages with the query, do they read it if the query is bad?

Tchaikovsky

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of agents request a brief sample in addition to the query letter. Since the query letter comes first, I'm wondering if agents actually read the sample pages if the query letter itself is atrocious. Or do they just stop reading and pass?

Likewise, if you have a great opening, I'm guessing it wouldn't outweigh the query itself? Thoughts?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the agent, some will skip the query and read the pages first. If they like the writing, they'll go back to the query and see if the premise piques their interest. But most that I've seen say that they always check the pages because not everyone can write a query as well as they can a novel-length piece.

Pages *do* outweigh the query.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on that though. Given the volume of material they receive, there are surely agents who can be turned off by a query and not bother scrolling.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Most agents that I know are based in the UK, so this might not be helpful. But all of the agents I've spoken to about this have told me that they read the sample pages first, and if they hold their attention they'll then look at the query to see how things pan out.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
I'm in the US, and I get the impression that most agents read queries first. Some only take queries without pages initially (though most of the agents I queried with my fantasy novel wanted anywhere from a couple of pages to the opening chapter or so (the average was the first ten pages).

In the US, it really depends on the agent, I think. One agent who spoke at a workshop I attended says his agency has interns read the queries and screen out any that don't follow basic directions and formatting of a query or that are too garbled or confusing to make heads or tails of, or queries that are for novels not of a genre the agent in question ever considers. The screeners pass the promising ones on to the respective agents (queriers are requested to put the individual agent they're querying in the subject line of the e-mail). He says he typically skims the opening pages as well as the query, because he knows that query writing is hard, and the really bad queries have already been screened out. He said a good query makes him read more closely, however.

This really varies, I'm guessing. I get the impression that at least some other agents don't read opening pages at all unless the query is really well-written and it appears to be the kind of story they're looking for right now. I'm guessing that different agents have different systems for deciding whether or not they'll look at pages. Many agents are reading queries on their phones or tablets too, while they're eating breakfast/lunch etc. or on the train on the way to work or something.

Reading #tenqueries and so on via twitter can be illustrative.

Last edited:

mpack

Swooping is bad.
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen comments on twitter where it appeared a query alone, in some circumstances, can merit a rejection without giving the pages much of a look. For agents who always read pages, a weak query may predispose negatively toward the query or even provide a reason to reject a manuscript if the agent is iffy on requesting further pages.

The short version then would be to make the query as strong as possible.

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
I've actually wondered this as well.

So what if the manuscript holds their attention and they love it? But then let's say the query letter is really weak. Does that mean they will scrap the entire project even if the story itself is strong? I'm just wondering the balance between the two I suppose for the agents that ask for both.

Cheers

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've actually wondered this as well.

So what if the manuscript holds their attention and they love it? But then let's say the query letter is really weak. Does that mean they will scrap the entire project even if the story itself is strong? I'm just wondering the balance between the two I suppose for the agents that ask for both.

Cheers

My impression is that the main function of the query is to give a very short, efficient premise of what the book's about, so the agent can make quick decisions like, "Oh, this is a picture book about spiders. One of my clients is already writing a PB about spiders, so I'm gonna pass on this." or "Oh, this is a MG Fantasy based in Victorian London. I fucking love Victorian London and I'm looking for an MG. This sounds promising." And then the sample pages are for the agent to decide whether she's into the actual writing itself.

In short, I doubt agents would reject if they love the MS but the query isn't well-written. The two are different beasts and they probably understand that just because you're good at writing one doesn't mean you're good at the other as well. They're looking for projects they think they can sell, not an excuse to reject a writer right off the bat.

^^Assumptions freshly yanked out of my butt. :)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
You should always pay attention to what Putputt has yanked out of her butt. :)

That said, if you're looking for reassurance that a weak query won't wreck your chances, despair, because you just can't count on that. Maybe they'll ask for more in spite of the weak query. Maybe the weak query tilts their decision to no. Your best bet is to go for a solid query, too.

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
Ah I understand! Thanks for the valuable information.

I've been editing both my manuscript and query letter over and over. Currently, I'm trying to polish the query letter. A lot of my beta readers (family and friends als) say the manuscript is looking decent so I just need to finish the query letter. It's stressing me out so much ahhh!!

But thanks for the insight. It's good to know these things :)

Cheers

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
I think there's a world of difference between a weak query and a bad query. I would think an agent would be far more apt to skim through a weak query that still hits all the correct points - genre, word count, etc, than a bad query - Dear NameSpelledWrong, I'm the next Stephen King, You only represent cookbooks, but I think my steampunk space opera would be perfect for you...

Agents are insanely busy and if you can't grab their attention in the query, I wouldn't count on them looking much further, when there are 200 more queries waiting in their inbox. My query letter gives me far more anxiety than my actual work, because it's so critical.

That said, there are so many resources available, for free and at our fingertips, that a bad -or even just weak- query is almost inexcusable.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I'll hop in here — I'm one of those agents who ask for the first five pages pasted in the body of the email. You can tell a lot about an author's style by the query. If a query is long-winded, rambling, or unable to convey any coherent plot, chances are the ms will be the same. That being said, I always read through the first few paragraphs out of curiosity. Even if I know I'll pass.

That's just my $.02

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting...

Thanks for the insights. Really, I think just put together a strong query letter and manuscript =)

Cheers

goddessofgliese

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katechenli.com
I think it varies among the agents. On an agent's blog, when asked whether an author should paste the first few pages to a query letter, the agent says, "Always do." He went on and explained that he always read the first few pages. Even if the query letter doesn't grab him, he'll request more pages if he really likes the writing.