• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Synopsis advice wanted please

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Reading about writing... less of the actual writin
Hi Guys,

I don't want critique on my actual synopsis (yet).

I'm just coming to the end of a re-draft (hopefully the final one), and have had some feedback from a beta about tweaking my ending. I'm also hoping to query. Since many agents want a synopsis, and writing time is very scarce currently, should I work on the redraft before sending queries (after it is all complete), or just put my additional ideas into the synopsis and dig into the redraft once they are under scrutiny?

I know full well I am not alone in this, but between editing, query writing, reading for comparison novels, synopsis writing and agent research it all gets heavy going! Not to mention leaving the other stories I want to get into on the back burner. But I feel I need to get this one out here soon or give up on it completely.

Thank you.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Put off the synopsis until you're done. What's your plan if an agent requests the full ms right away?

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Put off the synopsis until you're done. What's your plan if an agent requests the full ms right away?

After I've died from shock? ;) I would probably pull an all nighter, or send as is. After a few betas I've only had one discuss the ending and what might be changed, but I do happen to agree with them. I guess if the agent got that far, anyway I would be in seventh heaven.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After I've died from shock? ;) I would probably pull an all nighter, or send as is. After a few betas I've only had one discuss the ending and what might be changed, but I do happen to agree with them. I guess if the agent got that far, anyway I would be in seventh heaven.
Before you start querying, polish your manuscript to the absolute best of your ability, including any rewrites you intend to make. Anything less is likely a reflection of impatience. :)

All the best,
Riv

SciSarahTops

late cretaceous
Registered
Reaction score
Before you start querying, polish your manuscript to the absolute best of your ability, including any rewrites you intend to make. Anything less is likely a reflection of impatience. :)

All the best,
Riv

Ah, see I know you're right. But after 7 rewrites it's plot tweaks rather than word edits I'm thinking of. I do feel like what I have, up until that last 5% at the very end, is the best I can do with this manuscript. But yes. I know, that 5% still counts :) And yes it's impatience but I've been at this one for a very long time now.

Thank you.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Fix the manuscript first. Never send an agent anything less than your best.