Breaking news (for real) Obama took last minute action to preserve evidence of Russian hacking

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Obama Administration Rushed to Preserve Intelligence of Russian Election Hacking
WASHINGTON — In the Obama administration’s last days, some White House officials scrambled to spread information about Russian efforts to undermine the presidential election — and about possible contacts between associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump and Russians — across the government. Former American officials say they had two aims: to ensure that such meddling isn’t duplicated in future American or European elections, and to leave a clear trail of intelligence for government investigators.

American allies, including the British and the Dutch, had provided information describing meetings in European cities between Russian officials — and others close to Russia’s president, Vladimir V. Putin — and associates of President-elect Trump, according to three former American officials who requested anonymity in discussing classified intelligence. Separately, American intelligence agencies had intercepted communications of Russian officials, some of them within the Kremlin, discussing contacts with Trump associates.

At the Obama White House, Mr. Trump’s statements stoked fears among some that intelligence could be covered up or destroyed — or its sources exposed — once power changed hands. What followed was a push to preserve the intelligence that underscored the deep anxiety with which the White House and American intelligence agencies had come to view the threat from Moscow.

It also reflected the suspicion among many in the Obama White House that the Trump campaign might have colluded with Russia on election email hacks — a suspicion that American officials say has not been confirmed. Former senior Obama administration officials said that none of the efforts were directed by Mr. Obama.
:Jaw:

Further reading:
New Yorker: TRUMP, PUTIN, AND THE NEW COLD WAR - What lay behind Russia’s interference in the 2016 election—and what lies ahead?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And now this comes out: Sessions spoke twice with Russian ambassador during Trump’s presidential campaign, Justice officials say
Then-Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) spoke twice last year with Russia’s ambassador to the United States, Justice Department officials said, encounters he did not disclose when asked about possible contacts between members of President Trump’s campaign and representatives of Moscow during Sessions’s confirmation hearing to become attorney general.

One of the meetings was a private conversation between Sessions and Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak that took place in September in the senator’s office, at the height of what U.S. intelligence officials say was a Russian cyber campaign to upend the U.S. presidential race.

The previously undisclosed discussions could fuel new congressional calls for the appointment of a special counsel to investigate Russia’s alleged role in the 2016 presidential election. As attorney general, Sessions oversees the Justice Department and the FBI, which have been leading investigations into Russian meddling and any links to Trump’s associates. He has so far resisted calls to recuse himself.

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Asking questions to make record documentation for future investigations is nice in a National Treasure sort of way, but if no one is going to be looking anyway, it doesn't seem like this will do much. I'd like to think it will be a warning to other countries who got this information, but then again, DT got into office after Brexit and there seems to be a wave of similar politics spreading over the globe.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wise precautions, methinks. Something stinks worse than a dumpster on Fisherman's Wharf. When the guy you appoint for Commerce secretary is a vice president of a bank that launders money for Putin's buddies...

I really, really hope they can nab Trump on this, though the thought of President Pence doesn't sit well with me either. The best we can hope for is that this so damages the GOP that there's severe and unprecedented backlash in 2018, but the deck is stacked in their favor, at least for the House.

I also worry that Trump's administration will be tempted to manufacture a crisis in order to distract the country from an impending scandal.

tiggs

Registered
Reaction score
My only hope is that the drip-feed pace is deliberate; that the Intel community already has enough evidence to convict and that they're slowly leaking it, so they can get the denials firmly on record first.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I really, really hope they can nab Trump on this, though the thought of President Pence doesn't sit well with me either.

Nor me, but at this point I'd take it over what we have now. Pence, as reprehensible as his established views are, would be predictable. The debate would again become one of political issues, not one of mental stability. Now I am about to say something I could not have imagined myself saying even six months ago:

I would prefer to have Ted Cruz in the Presidency, rather than Donald Trump.

There. I've said it. The burden is lifted.

I also worry that Trump's administration will be tempted to manufacture a crisis in order to distract the country from an impending scandal.

This thought has also crossed my mind. Hell, he (or one of his minions) has already floated utterly fictitious terrorist incidents in Bowling Green, Atlanta and Sweden. That hasn't worked very well, so why not actually manufacture one somewhere? I wouldn't put any idea past the mind of Steve Bannon.

And, with the mention of Bannon, every sensible person in this nation should now read up on Rasputin, the disastrous puppeteer behind the decay of the Romanov dynasty in Russia, immediately prior to the Bolshevik Revolution.

caw

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
I really, really hope they can nab Trump on this, though the thought of President Pence doesn't sit well with me either. The best we can hope for is that this so damages the GOP that there's severe and unprecedented backlash in 2018, but the deck is stacked in their favor, at least for the House.

Both, really. They only have nine seats to defend next year. If Nevada Democrats can put up a good candidate I think they have a decent chance of gaining Dean Heller's seat, but I'm worried it will be cancelled out by loses (and overall Republican gains) in states like Indiana, North Dakota, and/or Florida.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Last night on the Rachel Maddow show, she did a very long (20 minute) segment on connecting the dots between Russian oligarchs, our new secretary of commerce Wilbur Ross, and Donald Trump.

I didn't comment on it because it really is far too complex to cover in a post.

But for anyone interested, it's now up on Boing Boing.

http://boingboing.net/2017/03/01/rachel-maddow-connects-the-dot.html

The sheer scope, size, and complexity of this octopus-like web of international high finance and money laundering is absolutely stunning. it almost reads like a conspiracy theory, but it's not. For those who haven't seen this, it's well worth the investment of time.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Wise precautions, methinks. Something stinks worse than a dumpster on Fisherman's Wharf. When the guy you appoint for Commerce secretary is a vice president of a bank that launders money for Putin's buddies...

All of this...

I have a hard time believing the buck - or ruble, I suppose - stops (or even starts) with the current president. Other Republicans had to be in on this - this dungball of a scandal was rolling along well before the election, before he was even the official nominee. I wouldn't be surprised if Pence had some level of involvement, or at least knowledge, of it as well; something this big had to involve multiple people of high rank, and Pence isn't an idiot. (I still strongly suspect Pence is meant to be the "real" president, when the expendable distraction has served his purpose and the agenda's got too much momentum/too much damage has been done to be derailed by an impeachment.) How much can actually be proven, of course, remains to be seen...

And I'm exceptionally worried about a convenient crisis. Remember what happened to Bush Jr's dismal approval when reports of an impending attack were somehow overlooked one early September morn... and the Republicans back then make the modern party look downright grounded and civilized. (If they're seriously okay with Russian collusion, outright treason, as a means to their party's ends, a false flag attack - or even just something as simple as another conveniently ignored report, one that results in major damage and American lives lost - is hardly a stretch, IMHO.)

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
With the brotherhood holding all or most of the levers of power, I have little hope that anything much will happen to Trump or his fellow thugs, no matter what is uncovered.