Not open for further replies.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
marchhare.gif

Lordy, lordy - it's March already! Let's list our goals for the month and get ready to encourage and cheer our fellow writers!

AND REMEMBER - the April Camp NaNo is next month! Time to start deciding if you'll participate, and if so, what your project will be. Camp Nano is a lot more loosey-goosey than regular NaNoWriMo (I actually prefer it to NaNo), and there's the added fun of being in a Camp Cabin if you so choose. Usually we have at least one or two AW cabins, so keep an eye on this subforum for more news about that.

I'm not giving myself too many goals this month - my show goes into previews next week, which means I have a month's worth of shows at night and rehearsals during the day, so time will be at a premium. Some of my goals are holdovers from February. I'm not sure at this point if I'll be in a position to participate in Camp, but if I do, I expect it'll have something to do with Goal #5.

1. Write Sekrit Solstice short story -
2/3 finished
2. Do final draft of Book #3 in series, incorporating beta input
3. Read three books

4. Review galleys of Book #1 - 1/2 finished
5. Start second draft of Book #4 in series

So what are your goals? And do you think you'll participate in the April Camp?

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Okay, new month, new goals! I'm going to try and keep this list pretty short.

March Goals:
  • Keep track of goals
  • Finish short story
  • Plan Camp NaNo project

Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 8/52 weeks)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Naww, bunny.

My March goals are almost exactly the same as my February goals. Thankfully I've gotten off to a decent start and made a bunch of progress on the SS story. Hopefully I can keep it up. I am determined to read all the books. One day I won't fail at this. I'm reading All the Birds in the Sky atm, and I find myself reluctant to pick it up but gripped when I do. I think it is because it is being a little harrowing and I am not prepared to be... harrowed?

Game-wise, finally having the first session shortly so I need to finish stuff up. I actually like deadlines, for the most part.

1. Completely complete Secret Solstice story.
2. Read eight books.
3. Game creation.
4. Edit five chapters.
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
This month, I'm trying out focusing on a single goal until it's completed. I'm itching to say 'but this is my second goal for when I finish that! And this is my third!' but nope, noooope, I will resist the urge.

My FOCUS: I am in the process of revising my giant robots project, so that I can send it out to betas. I'm so excited to get this done and sent out to them!

Last edited:

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
End of week #1 of March - gogogo everyone!

I got a bit done. I finished my galleys but now I have to work on the blurb for Book #2 - so that's one more to add to the mix. I am ABSOLUTELY going to finish the short story TONIGHT (see if I don't come back here to update; that's how sure I am). I'm about a quarter of the way through my current book, Patti LuPone's autobiography, but I may have to put it aside for a bit (I'm her understudy and I've spent the last five weeks watching her every move - so as much as I admire and like her, it's a bit too much Patti right now). I think I'll read something else and return to the autobiography in few weeks

DONE
3. Read three books - 0 of 3

4. Review galleys of Book #1 - DONE
6. Review blurb for Book #2 - DONE

ETA: Finished the story. HOORAY! AND I took care of the blurb, too. DOUBLE HOORAY.

Last edited:

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Same goal of 2,000 words a day Realistically it'll probably be more like 1,000 a day, but I'm shooting for the stars. I started out the month not feeling well, so I'm a little behind now, but I'm going to try to make it up the difference as the month progresses.

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly update!

March Goals:
  • Keep track of goals
    Huh. I'd forgotten this was a goal. That's not a good start.​
  • Finish short story
    Nope.​
  • Plan Camp NaNo project
    I picked a project! I'm going to do an edit pass on a series of novellas I have. Now I need to pick a tracking method and pull the drafts together.​
Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle
    Sundays continue to be my stumbling block for this. Other days seem to be evening out.​
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 9/52 weeks)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Finished my book. Ran the first session of my game and no one ran out of the room to get away or anything (and they said they enjoyed it very much). Finished and sent off the SS story. Began some editing on a chapter. Should go do some of that now, but I think I shall Stardew until dinner, then edit afterwards.

1. Completely complete Secret Solstice story. Done!
2. Read eight books. 1/8
3. Game creation. Yes!
4. Edit five chapters. 0/5
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day. So far...

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not a productive week, as my show is now in previews so we're rehearsing five hours and day and doing the show at night. Since I'm an understudy, I don't actually perform, but I still have to stand in for my lead at rehearsals and be present during performances. This means I have a fair amount of time sitting around waiting, which translates to reading time, which means I met my reading goal - finished HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (the published rehearsal script; I'm auditioning for the Broadway production tomorrow) and Emma Donoghue's THE WONDER. Can't say I really enjoyed either; there's an awful lot going on in the Potter script and I thought the Donoghue was predictable. I will keep on recording my books read since I'm curious just how much reading I can accomplish in the remaining weeks of March.

Hoping to maybe get started on Goal #2 this week. Hoping...

DONE
3. Read three books - 3 of 3
DONE

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly update!

March Goals:
  • Keep track of goals
    Did a pretty good job of making some progress on other goals this week, instead of forgetting about them, so I think that counts.​
  • Finish short story
    Nope.​
  • Plan Camp NaNo project
    Have not pulled the drafts together yet.​
Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle
    Sundays, man, Sundays.​
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 10/52 weeks)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday was a public holiday for me, which meant I sat down and did some proper editing. Finished up one chapter and got a chunk of the way into the next. Hopefully will finish that today or tomorrow.

Read The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers and absolutely loved it. I have the second out from the library waiting for me, but because it's not the same characters, just the same world, I thought I'd read something else in between. Otherwise I might be disappointed purely because it's not the same and that wouldn't be fair on it. Picked up one book, went meh at the first few pages, tried Ninefox Gambit by Yoon Ha Lee and was hooked from the start. Plan on finishing devouring it today or tomorrow (once upon a time I could read 24/7. Nowadays I get tired from reading and need a break so I'll see how I go). Also have my gifted SS story to read :D

Have done some spotted bits on the game, but next session probably won't be until April due to people's schedules so no rush there. Also still playing too many video games :p

2. Read eight books. 2/8
3. Game creation. Yes!
4. Edit five chapters. 1/5

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I have been reading. Reeading. Seriously, it's been so nice. I always take such a long time with books these days I figure it's never the book. However, given how quickly I've read in the last week, maybe I have just been reading the wrong books. I finished Ninefox Gambit, then discovered The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman was due back in the library that day. I went hmm, no work, wonder if I can... And I did. Then I pulled up the second Becky Chambers book, A Closed and Common Orbit. I loved all three books, and if I wanted to describe each in a word, I'd probably go exciting, fun, then lovely. I've still got library books (some due today *cough*) but not sure what I'm reading next.

Finished up a chapter today. Still got lots to do with those, but I'm not totally off track.

2. Read eight books. 5/8
3. Game creation. Yes!
4. Edit five chapters. 2/5

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Previews for my show (with the requisite daily 5-hour rehearsal period) continue - for another two and a half weeks, le sigh, so spare time continues to be at a premium.However, I read another book this week (Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, which was enjoyable) and started another, so my reading goal is destroyed and I'm dancing on top of it now.

And (FANFARE!) I actually started on Goal #2. I don't think Goal #5 is going to get touched this month, but that's okay - if I can finish #2, then the decks will be cleared for Camp.

Speaking of Camp, for those who are still on the fence about participating, AW cabins are starting to form. For more info, head over to the Camp NaNoWriMo April '17 thread.

DONE
2. Do final draft of Book #3 in series, incorporating beta input - Chapter 5 of 21
3. Read three books - 4 of 3
DONE

Forgot to add that I also blogged, for the first time in ages. Second half of the blog will appear on my website next week.

Last edited:

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly update!

March Goals:
  • Keep track of goals
    Did a little better this week. I've cleared off a huge chunk of my to-do list, which is nice.​
  • Finish short story
    Still, nope. This one is looking less and less likely all the time.​
  • Plan Camp NaNo project
    Pulled the drafts together. All totaled, it's about a hundred pages longer than I thought. Huh. I think I'm ready now, though.​
Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle
    Did better on Sunday this week, but only because I scheduled something earlier in the day. That may be a tactic I'm forced to employ to finally turn this around.​
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 11/52 weeks)

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A fair amount of progress this week, of the slow-and-steady variety. I'm about halfway through my second goal, and with two consecutive days off this week (a miracle!), I'm hoping to get it completed before the 31st.

I read yet another book, an old one: A Shepherd's Life: Impressions of the South Wiltshire Downs by W.H. Hudson. It's the second book on rural British life I've read this year, and I think I'll try Amanda Owen's The Yorkshire Shepherdess next and be done with the topic (I can write some of this reading off as research, as I anticipate writing some shepherding stuff in the fifth and final book in my series).

I also wrote the second half of my blog, A Bounty of Riches (about being cast in a Broadway show while simultaneously getting ready for the release of the first book in my fantasy series).

DONE
2. Do final draft of Book #3 in series, incorporating beta input - Chapter 11 of 21
3. Read three books - 5 of 3
DONE

bdwilson

Dedicated Lurker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bdwilson.ca
Weekly update!

March Goals:
  • Keep track of goals
    I've kept track enough to know I wasn't making much progress last week. That counts, right?​
  • Finish short story
    This is getting embarrassing.​
  • Plan Camp NaNo project
    Pulled the drafts together. All totaled, it's about a hundred pages longer than I thought. Huh. I think I'm ready now, though.​
Constant Goals:
  • Changing sleep cycle
    Actually did not too bad. Sundays are still later than I'd like, but I've clawed it back at least two hours. If I keep working on that, I might get it where I want it.​
  • Write 1K words a day (currently at 12/52 weeks)

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Rather than read my almost-due library books, I decided to read The Swiss Family Robinson (again). Despite it's problems, it's a comfort read for me. I'm almost finished.

I finished another chapter and am a good way through the fourth. Looking more hopeful on finishing that goal before the end of the month.

Unfortunately, my Surface died last week. I finally managed to order a new charger (it's the oldest Surface, so that was hard) and it came today. Not working, so it's clearly the surface port itself. I... can't afford a replacement right now. I doubt I can fix it, but I may as well try since I can't use it otherwise. I guess I have to go back to handwriting for a bit (I like handwriting, but it's so much longer/more inconvenient). I hadn't realised how used to my Surface I'd become. I also lost bits and pieces of writing I was in the middle of so hadn't backed up.

A friend who was made redundant last month has told me when she gets another job she's planning on buying a new laptop and I can have her old one. So another reason to hope she gets a job, I guess :p It's not ideal (it's an old, clunky laptop) but it'd be better than nothing.

2. Read eight books. 5/8
3. Game creation. Yes!
4. Edit five chapters. 3/5

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, Tamlyn - sorry for your computer woes.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
April is just about here, so it's time to wrap up our March goals thread.

I completed my Big Goal - finishing the final, post-beta draft of Book 3 in my series. My agent and publisher are whacking out the final details for the purchase of the rest of the series (the first book comes out in August; the second will follow a couple months later), so I wanted to have #3 ready to roll when requested. I didn't touch my goal of starting on the rewrite of #4, but that's my Camp project for April, so I'm okay with that.

I read two more books: Amanda Owen's The Yorkshire Shepherdess and Patti LuPone's eponymous autobiography, both of which I enjoyed. (Since I'm currently understudying Ms. LuPone, I handed the book off to her for an autograph and the extraordinarily generous inscription she wrote brought tears to my eyes.) I started Peyton Place last night, as part of my continuing participation in the 2017 AW Reading Challenge thread, and can already see why the book was so startling when it was first published. next and be done with the topic (I can write some of this reading off as research, as I anticipate writing some shepherding stuff in the fifth and final book in my series).

DONE
2. Do final draft of Book #3 in series, incorporating beta input - DONE
3. Read three books - 7 of 3
DONE and then some
5. Start second draft of Book #4 in series - not done, but this is my April Camp goal now

See you in the April progress report thread!

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Holy crap, I don't think I wrote at all this month. Shame on me.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Swiss Family Robinson. It took me a bit longer than I thought (I always forget how long it is because I have a small-print compact little version) so I didn't get a chance to read anything else. It's interesting that most my reading was done in the one week. I didn't make my goal, but I read more than I have been of late so I'm happy.

I also finished the fourth chapter. I thought that I had more month and would get this weekend to do the final one but nope! Since not, I didn't try and rush it just to get a goal done. It'll carry over to April.

After some careful consideration, a relatively cheap replacement has been ordered for my Surface. Most of the words I've written for a WIP this last month have been lost, but I discovered some stories hadn't been lost. So yay! My budget is going to be tight for a while, but it'll be worth it.

In the end, I didn't complete my goals, but I still feel like I had a productive month.

2. Read eight books. 6/8
3. Game creation. Yes!
4. Edit five chapters. 4/5
5. Min 500 words or 2 pages edited per day. Yiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.