Classics Book Of The Quarter Club

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
A thread was started the other day where the question was asked on what classic literature would make for good reading material. Several suggestions came up, as well as the suggestion of possibly creating a Classics Book Club. Toward that end, I have the distinct honor of making the entry for the (insert drumroll here):
Classics Book of the Quarter Club

Since it's already toward the end of February, we have basically a month left for the first entry, and this post will be updated quarterly with the next reading material for discussion. Feel free to add your own progress, thoughts, and musings for the latest book in the reading list. When possible, links to Goodreads, Amazon, and others as may come up for inclusion will be provided for easier accessibility. For now, there is no tangential admin thread, but in the event there is a need to discuss administrative elements, that may come to fruition too. For now, let's get started!!!

Your reading assignment is:

Q1 2017: The Time Machine, by HG Wells: Amazon | Goodreads

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Have already read it, several times. It is simply the seminal novel for modern SF, and remains a great read to this day. It's short enough to read in a long quiet evening, and if you haven't read any of Wells's early stuff, it's a great introduction. Progress from there to The Island of Dr. Moreau. The War of the Worlds, and The Invisible Man, every one an equal joy.

caw

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Read this a few years ago while doing a MOOC or free online course on SF. I already knew the plot and perhaps even read the book when I was much younger, but the poetic aspects surprised me, the symbolism around the strange lovely flowers, the Sphinx, the fire.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Will be hopefully re-reading it this weekend, now that I have a bit of free time on my hands...