Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My classic novel read for 2017 is . . .

practical experience, FTW spork's Avatar
    I'm working through the collected works of Edgar Allan Poe and The Scarlet Letter. They're both free for Kindle if you have one.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Re: Poe -- What interests you more, the stories, the poems, or both?

practical experience, FTW
    I finished Villette, and it was a worthwhile read. A bit slow, but it was my evening reading in bed, and that's actually how I like to read stuff at night. And as I mentioned earlier, it also helps if you know some French. The story is of a young English woman who falls into a teaching position in a French town, and the various social relationships she has in the course of her young career. Charlotte Bronte herself had done something similar in Brussels, and was clearly fluent in French, and made much use of it in this novel. But the characters throughout are complex, vivid, and very well portrayed, without cliché or stereotype, and the narrative style solid and readable throughout. Happy I read it.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    Congrats on finishing - just finished a bit of a slower read for myself tonight as well. What's next on your list?
    2017 Goals
    Read 50 of these books
    Come up with a good book idea and actually write it!

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by CBJason View Post
    Congrats on finishing - just finished a bit of a slower read for myself tonight as well. What's next on your list?
    I don't really keep a "list", but I'm considering a shorter novel by the less well-known sister, Anne Bronte, who produced two before her early death. And I guess I am currently reading a kind of "classic", a mystery thriller by early 20th century novelist Edgar Wallace: The Four Just Men. He's a very strong narrative writer, and I'm enjoying it a lot.

caw
    Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

-- Terry Pratchett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12