Color vs black & white

Chronic

Imaginary Talking Monkey
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm (very slowly) working on a series of graphic novels in a dark-comedic vein, and it's gotten me reading a lot of other people's work trying to pick up a few skills by osmosis.

Something I just recently realized is that there are times when a black and white format seems to work better than color. There are even times when color seems to hinder the story. Case in point: the Game of Thrones graphic novel series https://www.google.com/search?q=the...KHR8iDUsQ_AUIBygC&dpr=1#imgrc=zSSE0M7N4xRlLM:

Don't get me wrong: the artwork is good (very good at times) and I'm a serious GoT fan so I enjoyed the series, but at times I found all the color and detail distracting, like it slowed the story down somehow or interrupted the flow. Here's a good example: http://images5.fanpop.com/image/pho...c-novel-sandor-and-sansa-29237442-385-500.png

IMO, you should be able to look at a page and get some quick idea of what's going on even before you start reading the first panel. In the example above, there's so much going on color wise that my eye doesn't automatically know what it's supposed to be focusing on. You pretty much have to start reading the text before it becomes clear (IMO).

I'm pretty much just thinking out loud here, ;) but I really would like to hear what other people think.

In the meantime I'm going to start experimenting with B&W (so cool to be living in the computer age where all you have to do is click a button to make that happen).

Chronic

Imaginary Talking Monkey
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
full
vs
full

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Got distracted there, did ya?

Making the page easier to read, that's the prime function of color in comics. I know people who aren't that accustomed to their visual language and have a much harder time reading them when they're in b/w. (Then again, i know quite some manga kids and Graphic Novel snobs who won't touch a color comic because that's just old-school stuff and not real art. But that aside.) If the color fails to unclutter the page, it's just not that good. (Most 90s' US books are atrocious that way.)

Sometimes old b/w comics get republished in color. That's good for comparing. There's a color version of Hugo Pratt's Ballad of The Salt Sea that's imply gorgeous but not how Pratt originally intended it. A German publisher recently republished both versions because they both count.

Personally, I love a good b/w style and am aiming for that kind of presence even when I'm coloring. Of course, the more of the sorty-out work you've already done by the time the color comes in, the less detail you have to fill in. Art tends to feel overblown if both inks and colors fire all their cannons. So if you want to color your work, make sure you leave something for the colors to have an impact on. If you'r not sure, maybe use different layers for the line art.

Chronic

Imaginary Talking Monkey
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes old b/w comics get republished in color. That's good for comparing. There's a color version of Hugo Pratt's Ballad of The Salt Sea that's imply gorgeous but not how Pratt originally intended it. A German publisher recently republished both versions because they both count.

Thanks, I'll try and check those out. In the meantime I searched "ballad of the salt sea color vs black and white" in Google Images and a cpl comparisons came up. I definitely like the color versions better, think it adds depth and movement to the page. I generally prefer color as long as it isn't over-stated.

Personally, I love a good b/w style and am aiming for that kind of presence even when I'm coloring. Of course, the more of the sorty-out work you've already done by the time the color comes in, the less detail you have to fill in. Art tends to feel overblown if both inks and colors fire all their cannons. So if you want to color your work, make sure you leave something for the colors to have an impact on. If you'r not sure, maybe use different layers for the line art.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends a lot on what works best thematically. colour connects well with reality, so in a series that has few mystic elements, it could be good. b&w is good for worlds with black and white morality, or where you wanna do a pop of colour for emphasis. or if you wanna keep down printing costs.

DrewSpence

Writer/Artist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
A huge part of me is conditioned by media- specifically television.
Since most actual WWII footage is Black and white AND it occurred at a time when cutting edge technology was B&W, I associate 'those times' with a grainy, lo-fi colorless palette.
That what immerses me visually. So to capture an authentic "look" I expect black and white or muted, drab colors.

Same for westerns with modern rock soundtracks/ music or any other genre - being used that didn't exist at the time.
I find it jarring. I like when the compositions use the instruments that were available to musicians at the time.

I like stringed instruments - plucked tones in westerns...
Flutes and such (lots of wind instruments) in sci fi fantasy...acoustic sources - even for sound design...
Otherworldly and NEW sounds and textures in sci fi...sounds from the future to match a futuristic vision.
Synthesizers and a healthy dose of effects and affected filtering.

About the links you shared...
If Game of Thrones happens in some long ago, fantasy past/alternate universe - then seeing cutting edge color-work and beautiful colors, seems too modern - even in comparison to other contemporary comics -
It's incredible color work, but feels too hip (to my eyes).

If the material (story and depicted activities) is gritty, dark and medieval .....
It's like "Oh, they had these wonderful dyes and tapestries and pigments- back then and for every class of citizen?"
Color-depth would be one way to differentiate between classes. But that's a whole 'nother thing.

My 5 cents anyway.

Kevin_C_Vang

Banned
Reaction score
I prefer black and white because it's cheap and easy to do. Colors are quite expensive; therefore, black and white are better.