Night in the Woods

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else playing this? I had my eye on it ever since I found out about it, (missed the kickstarter, sadly,) and it did not disappoint. Very good story game, and the platformer elements were pretty good.

It also surprised me, with the accuracy of its setting. I KNOW the Podunk crumbling town that the characters romp around in. I mean, not that town personally, but if you go any direction in Ohio for long enough, you'll run into a small town that's slowly falling to seed.

I've played it twice through, found different things each time.

About the only warning I'd give is that who you choose to spend time with is pretty important. You don't have time to play through all of your friends' storylines on a single run. But it's nothing another run-through won't fix, and that's no hardship.

VeryBigBeard

Preparing for winter
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. Have heard of it but haven't dug into any reviews or anything yet. Is the art style really neat? That's one of the things I've heard, anyway.

I'm a big fan of location-based storytelling, not just in the way Ubisoft does it with big, often meaningless open fantasy worlds. Rather, taking actual locations and using game form to let people wander in them. I live in the country near a big wilderness area and have thought of just going out with a decent camera and creating a world in there. It wouldn't even require a huge amount of scope for coding and such, which appeals to me since I'm a solo dev without great coding skills. It seems like the natural extension from games like Firewatch, with some cool intersections for some of the AR stuff happening.

Anyway, /ramble. May go on actual ramble.

Will look at Night In The Woods. Thanks for the rec, ASeiple.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I'm a Kickstarter backer, just waiting for the EU PS4 codes to get released so I can dig in. Envious of all the NA backers who're already playing it!

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
@phodotheus: It's out on Steam in North America. If you google night in the woods reviews you'll get some good views on it.

@VeryBigBeard: Beautiful art! Simplistic but smooth, and used to good effect. And the music is a pure joy. There's a song that plays during an optional stargazing sidequest that I want on full loop for a few hours, I'm hoping youtube gets one at some point. :)

I'd say it does pretty well with location-based storytelling, though it starts you off with about half the town, and as the days go by, more of it opens up. Most of the sidequests are only found if you go jumping and poking around in weird places. It still is pretty linear at the end, though the more you do the more your sketchbook gets filled out, (The main character keeps one,) and the more nifty stuff happens at the ending.

It's more or less an interactive story, told well, with lots of little changes you can make along the way. I liked Firewatch, and I liked this, too.

Be warned it's a slower build to the main story arc. Firewatch you could finish in 4-6 hours, I recall. This one's more like 8-10, or a bit more depending on how much you fart around.

@EMaree Oh, lucky! I missed the kickstarter, sadly. With luck there'll be a sequel, maybe I can get in on that one.

Have patience, it's worth the wait.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.