RIP Alan Colmes

Katana

On the edge...
Registered
Reaction score
Alan Colmes was a kind soul. Any liberal who could be in the presence of Sean Hannity without bitch-slapping that big Fred Flintstone head would have to be.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
People should not die before they are 90. 66, no, just not right.

I was sorry to see Fox dis one of their few liberals when he left.

Night_Writer

It's all symbolic.
Registered
Reaction score
I was wondering why I hadn't seen him around lately. I guess he was sick.

RIP, Alan Colmes.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was Al Franken who referred to the Fox program as "Hannity & Colmes."
it's unfortunate FOX put Colmes in that position. If they were really fair and balanced they would have given Colmes his own show right before or after Hannity.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Hannity, to whatever microscopic level of credit he deserves, has said very nice and condolescent things about Alan Colmes. I'm sure he was indeed a nice, friendly, polite man (in contrast to Sean Hannity, mesuspects). But BoF is exactly correct. Fox used Colmes as a foil for Hannity's ranting, nothing more. That they ultimately just gave Hannity his own show is ample proof of their "fair and balanced" sincerity.* I'm sure they paid Colmes handsomely, and I don't disrespect him for doing the work. But he was, at bottom, a prop for them.

caw

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
The Slate said as much and Hannity had a great time blasting them for being cruel, heartless liberals. He did seem sincere about losing a friend who happened to be a liberal but in no way wanted to consider the idea that his friend was presented as a liberal patsy on his show and all he did, for the most part, was steamroll and sneer at his friend's views. Honestly I never saw Colmes as a patsy but as an intelligent but sensitive person who found it awkward to argue with a monkey in public.

This flat refusal to do any personal soul searching in a regrettable situation --not sure what to call it but there must be someone who wasn't doodling or daydreaming through her college psych classes, that can fill in the exact term-- has always been a red flag for me. I avoid people who display that trait.

I'm not saying it is exclusively right wing or left wing but this blame without self examination thing sure seems to be in vogue these days. --s6

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was Al Franken who referred to the Fox program as "Hannity & Colmes."

Hannity, to whatever microscopic level of credit he deserves, has said very nice and condolescent things about Alan Colmes. I'm sure he was indeed a nice, friendly, polite man (in contrast to Sean Hannity, mesuspects). But BoF is exactly correct. Fox used Colmes as a foil for Hannity's ranting, nothing more. That they ultimately just gave Hannity his own show is ample proof of their "fair and balanced" sincerity.* I'm sure they paid Colmes handsomely, and I don't disrespect him for doing the work. But he was, at bottom, a prop for them.

caw

I've always had a certain disregard for "Fox News liberals" like Colmes, Bob Beckel, and Kirsten Powers. Their primarily purpose to serve as props and punching bags for the conservative hosts. Powers is particularly noxious in her contempt and disdain for President Obama and Democratic policies and when the irrelevant Juan Williams and the absurd Geraldo Rivera are considered "liberals" that pretty much proves it.

Alan Colmes, a decent and inoffensive fellow, provided a sober counterpoint to Sean Hannity's mouth-frothing conservatism. Now he's gone.

I'm sure he was well compensated to be a sell-out.