Can anybody help me spend my money? Or Save me money?

I_love_coffee

that's what it's all about....
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks OH. I've done some research and just to keep too many choices at bay, I'm narrowing it down between the digimemo and livescribe. But now I'm confused. If it's obsolete technology- how do I get it to work? Do you mean obsolete in the fact that its not sold new anymore, but that it still works ? Sorry if if that seems like the dumbest question ever asked. I don't need the latest and greatest technology, just something that works. I want a written hard copy and then I want to avoid having to type it all in. that's it. Guessing I would need to get it from ebay ? Btw, I'm in the US.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
An alternative is OneNote (either OneNote2016 or OnNote from the MS apps) with Office Lens. Take pictures of your manuscript pages. Both OneNote app and Lens app are free. Even works on Android devices.

-cb

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
An alternative is OneNote (either OneNote2016 or OnNote from the MS apps) with Office Lens. Take pictures of your manuscript pages. Both OneNote app and Lens app are free. Even works on Android devices.

-cb

this is very intriguing

I'm at work now, will have to look it all up tonight

I cant believe all of this technology is out there

have you ever used this?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Obsolete tech generally (though obviously OH can speak to the particulars here) just means it's not being updated and possibly supported anymore, or likely sold by its manufacturer, not that it doesn't work. Windows 7 operating system is obsolete -- it's been revised and that version is no longer being sold or supported (I think), by Microsoft, but plenty of people still run it on their machines.

If it breaks, the manuf. isn't going to help. Like an older model dishwasher you buy as a discontinued floor model that the co. doesn't sell or make the parts for anymore. Still might work great.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
this is very intriguing

I'm at work now, will have to look it all up tonight

I cant believe all of this technology is out there

have you ever used this?
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 3. Comes with it. I also have a pen, and Office 365.

OneNote is a note taking system. From capture to classification to archiving and backup in binders. Works hand-in-hand with Microsoft Edge (grabbing web pages or taking notes directly on them), OneDrive (where you store your personal binders), Office 365 web (the online version of O365), SharePoint (for corporate binders / teams). In Win10, it also integrates through the scanner app, and other desktop apps through printing (print pages to OneNote).

I also have an Android tablet with Office and Lens installed. Both are kept in sync through OneDrive, and both have Lens to capture sheets.

If you have Win10, most of what you need to try it is already there: OneNote app, and OneDrive app. If you have a camera (most laptops and tablets do), then download Office Lens. All three are FREE. Office365 desktop contains the more elaborate OneNote2016, which you have to pay for. Office365 - the online only version - is limited, but free ( https://www.office.com ).

OneNote2016 supports OCR. Not sure about the app version though.

Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h07qZLLQc4I

-cb

Last edited:

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you again to all for their suggestions.

I heavily researched the digital pens. I installed office lens and one note and one drive and one whatever all of it on my home laptop and tried to play around with it. In the meantime, I was still really on the fence about which pen to order ( livescribe or digimemo). The reviews were all over the place, and some of the reviewers were thrilled and a lot more just seemed frustrated. When technology become frustrating, it takes me out of the writing mode. My writing time is so limited, this one precious hour that I carve out- I don't want to lose it to technology fallout. So I put the digital pen on hold for now, unless a clear cut option presents itself.

But then, I began reading my very rough draft-outline. I realized two things. One- my handwriting is godawful, and illegible even to myself. Two- what I wrote is so rough, that it will all need to be reworked into something better (sheesh, so much for having an outline, can't get rid of my pantser tendencies).

So back to the basics. Writing by hand. Oh, I did switch over from my pink spiral notebook to a red zip around binder with handles. Call me crazy, but back to loose-leaf paper and rewriting each scene- by hand seems to be working. I figured after I get the 2nd draft handwritten, then I can revise as I type it up ( 3rd draft).

I figure this should take me through April. At that point, my third draft will be all nice and typed up, and I will look into purchasing one of those nifty $199 Lenovo laptops that AW Admin posted about. I can tote this about and revise on the go. I hope.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
But then, I began reading my very rough draft-outline. I realized two things. One- my handwriting is godawful, and illegible even to myself. Two- what I wrote is so rough, that it will all need to be reworked into something better (sheesh, so much for having an outline, can't get rid of my pantser tendencies).

So back to the basics. Writing by hand. Oh, I did switch over from my pink spiral notebook to a red zip around binder with handles. Call me crazy, but back to loose-leaf paper and rewriting each scene- by hand seems to be working. I figured after I get the 2nd draft handwritten, then I can revise as I type it up ( 3rd draft).

I do a lot of writing by hand. One thing you might do by way of a backup is if you have a digital camera or smartphone, take pictures every couple of pages, or photocopy the draft on a regular basis.

Also, if you're writing with a pencil, consider a Kuru Toga mechanical pencil.*

It uses hard-to-break lead, has erasers, and the lead is rotated each time you write, just a little, so that the point is always sharp. It makes pencil reading much more legible, and reduces smearing. I started using them in January, and I'm never going back.

*That's an AW affiliate link to Amazon.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
My writing time is so limited, this one precious hour that I carve out- I don't want to lose it to technology fallout. So I put the digital pen on hold for now, unless a clear cut option presents itself.

You won't lose your work with the DigiMemo or LiveScribe through a technology failure, because you will have a paper copy of all you've written. So you might have to transcribe it but you will still have it.

My writing descends into scribble when I really get going, but I still get good accuracy with my lovely old DigiMemos (I have about eight of them now, just in case).

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com

Lisa, do you use .5 or .7? I like the idea of the rotating lead. Is it really as helpful as it sounds?

I'm currently using a couple of Papermate .5 mm pencils that are basically OK, but I'm always interested in trying something new.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, do you use .5 or .7? I like the idea of the rotating lead. Is it really as helpful as it sounds?

It really is amazing. It's not just the always sharp point, it's also the better quality lead.

I use the .5 for diagrams and labels and underlining/note taking in books and the .7 for actual writing of pages.

I also use a Tombow Mono Knock Eraser, because I erase a fair amount.

I_love_coffee

Registered
Reaction score

It uses hard-to-break lead, has erasers, and the lead is rotated each time you write, just a little, so that the point is always sharp. It makes pencil reading much more legible, and reduces smearing. I started using them in January, and I'm never going back.

*That's an AW affiliate link to Amazon.

sounds right up my alley. just ordered. thank you!

You won't lose your work with the DigiMemo or LiveScribe through a technology failure, because you will have a paper copy of all you've written. So you might have to transcribe it but you will still have it.

oh yeah, I get it, and I think this would be great to have- I just didn't know which one to order- the ones I saw were $129-$259. You seem to have gotten several great deals... I just had to give up my "research" and get back to writing. I can really fall down the rabbit hole of research and indecision , it's a personality quirk. or something.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
oh yeah, I get it, and I think this would be great to have- I just didn't know which one to order- the ones I saw were $129-$259. You seem to have gotten several great deals... I just had to give up my "research" and get back to writing. I can really fall down the rabbit hole of research and indecision , it's a personality quirk. or something.

The LiveScribe pens are generally pricey, but the AceCad systems can be picked up cheaply if you keep watch for them. I just bought another for £20. I always have two or three in use, for different projects, and a couple spare.

BookCat

Registered
Reaction score
Consider buying an AlphaSmart Neo from ebay. They're about £50 and excellent for on the go writing. The three A4 batteries last for about a year when used for several hours a day. In the evening, you can upload the writing to your computer using an USB lead: load it into which ever software you prefer for writing.
Once you see a pic of a Neo, you'll either love or hate it, but it's extremely convenient.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
Consider buying an AlphaSmart Neo from ebay. They're about £50 and excellent for on the go writing. The three A4 batteries last for about a year when used for several hours a day. In the evening, you can upload the writing to your computer using an USB lead: load it into which ever software you prefer for writing.
Once you see a pic of a Neo, you'll either love or hate it, but it's extremely convenient.

The Alphasmarts definitely seem interesting for drafting, I've been tempted myself. It might be useful for typing up the handwritten draft but fair warning: they're no use for editing. The tiny screen won't work for that.

James W

Registered
Reaction score
Have you thought about using Scrivener?

It sounds like you're time-pressured and it might make writing a long project a lot easier. There's a review of the software https://kindlepreneur.com/scrivener-review/ at that link which makes an in-depth comparison with Word in terms of functionality/pros and cons. If you're looking to save money there's also a 20% code inside.

I know Scrivener is available on the app store so that could work well with your mini-Ipad?

Either way, best of luck finding a solution that works well for you :)