MG Fantasy with Religion

remister

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

Anyone has recommendation on MG Fantasy that features a religion, even if a made-up one (might not be the center of the story, but is significantly there)?
I can only think of The Golden Compass.

Thanks!

lonestarlibrarian

senior bean supervisor
Registered
Reaction score
The Narnia books are the ones that first come to mind. I first read them in 3rd grade; even at that age, it was pretty easy to recognize the allegory.

Slightly past your age group--- a high-school kid could handle Bujold's Curse of Chalion, so it might be close enough to look into, though of course there's more than just age/reading level that differentiates MG from other books. But she did a very nice job in creating a memorable religious structure and weaving it into her culture, so if you're looking for inspiration for your own project, it would be worth a read to see how someone else has done it well.

remister

Registered
Reaction score
There's the Narnia series, or course, by C.S. Lewis, who meant it to be an allegory of Christianity. Phillip Pullman loathed it, by the way, calling it "one of the most ugly and poisonous things I ever read".

Thanks jlmott. Yes I've read about Phillip Pullman blasting Narnia lol.

The Narnia books are the ones that first come to mind. I first read them in 3rd grade; even at that age, it was pretty easy to recognize the allegory.

Slightly past your age group--- a high-school kid could handle Bujold's Curse of Chalion, so it might be close enough to look into, though of course there's more than just age/reading level that differentiates MG from other books. But she did a very nice job in creating a memorable religious structure and weaving it into her culture, so if you're looking for inspiration for your own project, it would be worth a read to see how someone else has done it well.

Ooo yes I'll be checking it out for research. There's a made up religion in my ms. It's not the theme but more like just part of the people's culture and I want to see if I handled it right.

Tim Archer

Registered
Reaction score
A Wrinkle in Time and it's sequels by Madeleine L'Engle have some very significant religious and spiritual themes and references.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume. For Jakob I Have Loved by Katherine Patterson references Jakob and Esau but I can't recall how much religion is involved. I feel like there must be something more recent, but nothing is crossing my mind.