ABC Miniseries On Fight For LGBT Rights

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I think this might be well worth watching. It has been called the LGBT Roots, though that might be a bit of marketing hyperbole.

Airing beginning this coming Monday, February 27.

What Dustin Lance Black has done with the sprawling, emotionally explosive ABC “When We Rise” miniseries is so much more than “merely” telling the story of the struggle for LGBT equality over the last 50 years. He has created a story that will remind everyone — straight and LGBT — of the things that are imperiled by the renewal of hatred, divisiveness and irrational fear that has the nation in a paralyzing grip.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/tv/artic...954771.php?t=703c1101cc&cmpid=twitter-premium

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I hope that at least some people watched this miniseries. Unfortunately, I think most of the people who are most uninformed about the history of the struggle for LGBT rights are not the ones who would watch it anyway.

But even those who are aware would have learned something – young people are sometimes a bit oblivious to what has come before them. But I lived through those times, and there were things brought out that I did not know.

It was a bit “messagey” at times, with dialogue throwing in bits of history that obviously no one would actually say, but that were needed for context for those who knew nothing about it.

But it told the story through the personal lives of three activists, real people, some of whom who are still alive today. The acting was absolutely outstanding in every way. There was some dramatic license taken of course, but overall the times, as reflected through those stories, was accurate and given a sense of reality and immediacy that was overwhelming.

I found the series both deeply, deeply affecting and inspiring. None of it was sugar coated. Anyone with feelings and especially those of us who lost friends during that time could not help but be moved to tears.

But an unintended effect, or perhaps totally intended, was that it produced in me feelings not only of sorrow, but even more of anger and absolute rage.

The personal stories, the families that were ripped apart, the treatment of the LGBT community, and the smug callous disregard of society at that time brought back memories unpleasant and unsettling. And the bravery of those involved in the struggle is too often overlooked.

We often deservedly extoll the courage of the civil rights pioneers, some of them who lost their lives for the struggle. Almost everybody knows the name Medgar Evers.

But the courage of those who were fighting for LGBT rights, those who died from hate crimes, the hundreds of thousands decimated by the plague of AIDS while the government barely acknowledged its existence -- they are mostly unknown and unremembered.

Perhaps it's the present political climate that made it seem so timely to me – the current crop of those in charge are eerily similar to the bigots and hate filled individuals who were in charge back then. The only difference is that these people are no longer exclusively focused on LGBT people – they’ve expanded to include everyone who doesn’t think like them as well as the environment and everything else good about this country.

So for anyone who missed it, I cannot recommend it highly enough when it comes around again.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the process of watching it. I recorded it on my DVR. I like it pretty well so far, and I think it could be educational for people who aren't as familiar with earlier times and some of the conflicts that aren't as much of a thing anymore (like the exclusion of cis queer women from parts of the women's lib movement).

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
Finally finished watching it last night.

My feelings are similar to rugcat's. I felt it was "messagey" at times, especially in the second half, which felt more rushed overall. But it was a good effort and I like that it at least attempted to cover a lot.

I had some issues with the pacing--the first half felt a lot more drawn-out (mostly in a good way) while the latter half sometimes felt rushed to me. I was also distracted by how some of the people looked completely different before and after they were aged up. I'm pretty forgiving as a rule, because the alternatives (like old age makeup or casting people based primarily on resemblance) can be bad, too. But it was obvious enough here that it was distracting for me.

I think the miniseries was really good at showing segments of the movement by focusing on a few specific individuals but less effective at being an all-encompassing look at the movement as a whole (which is fair--the latter is a Herculean task even with eight hours). If you don't already know about ACT UP and Larry Kramer, for example, I think the few scenes that show them wouldn't have much meaning.

But I do admire that the miniseries felt like it was trying to be true to people's experiences and include as much as possible without taking a lot of liberties. It was kind of refreshing to see a docudrama where it didn't feel so much like reality had been sculpted into a good story with a traditional arc.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
I was also distracted by how some of the people looked completely different before and after they were aged up.
True, especially for Roma IMO. Still, A+ for effort and it was well done overall as well as being important.

It's available on Hulu, FYI, for those who missed it on air.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was excellent. Definitely moving.

I'd forgotten about the AIDS quilt. I think I was in third grade when they brought several squares to the school. The squares made their rounds through the classrooms, and they told us about the AIDS epidemic.

What they completely glossed over, of course, was the part that homosexuality played in the history of AIDS. Don't read that the wrong way - I am in NO way blaming anyone for AIDS. I just mean that they didn't really teach us the whole story. I remember feeling an incredible sense of loss and depression as we walked circles around the quilt squares. I didn't understand then, of course. But the movie reminded me of how deeply unfair the whole thing was/is.

I posted on FB asking my younger friends whether they still bring the AIDS quilt to schools. They did not bring them to my daughter's school. I was told that no, AIDS isn't even really discussed anymore but more like glossed over.

An entire generation of people, glossed over.

It's not surprising, really. But it's still disappointing.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked the series. I think it's important that we remember our history, and I try to learn it whenever I can. When We Rise did a good job of bringing some of our history to a wider audience