Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.

drowningmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this market is doing?

I still see the print version on shelves, and the editor did a Q&A not too long ago, but I sent a story in four months ago and have heard nothing back. Their website says "average response time 5 weeks" and "query after three months." I've waited, I've queried, I got no response. It's getting to be close to five months now.

I'd like to send the story on, but they do ask for "no simultaneous submissions."

Are other people getting responses from them? Or is it just me?

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Looking at their stats on The Grinder, they're very behind. Their recent responses are in the 120-140 day range. It's a useful site if you want to know what's going on right now at a market. The search will let you find the stats page for a market, and there's a link on that to recent responses.

http://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/

I haven't submitted to Asimov's for some time, but they were pretty slow then too.

drowningmermaid

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, thanks! I've seen that website around, but I've never used it for anything . . .

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is one of the most sought-after short fiction sci-fi pubs out there so I am sure they're swamped, hence the long times as noted by the Grinder as someone else posted.

One approach that I have found that works is have multiple submissions and send one to one market and another to another market. I almost always submit things in pairs or more to different markets so that if one takes awhile then I can look forward to responses from others. (Clarkesworld right now has VERY fast response times). Doing it this way sometimes helps alleviate the "sit and wait" anxiety.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I almost always submit things in pairs or more to different markets so that if one takes awhile then I can look forward to responses from others.

Are you saying you submit the same thing to different markets?

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One approach that I have found that works is have multiple submissions and send one to one market and another to another market. I almost always submit things in pairs or more to different markets so that if one takes awhile then I can look forward to responses from others. (Clarkesworld right now has VERY fast response times). Doing it this way sometimes helps alleviate the "sit and wait" anxiety.

I hope the markets you're submitting to specifically say they're okay with it. (Very few markets for short fiction that I've ever submitted to say they allow simultaneous submissions.)

If you have a "hit" and multiple markets want it at the same time, the editors at the "losing" markets are going to take a very dim view of why you're turning them down.

(I realize after re-reading that you probably meant "multiple different works" submitted at the same time. But I'll leave my initial response because new writers may not realize that multiple simultaneous subs are generally not okay.)

Last edited:

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Are you saying you submit the same thing to different markets?

No no, that would be simultaneous submission which most markets frown upon. What I am saying is have more than one piece so that you can submit each to different markets. And if one is declines then shoot it off to another market.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
You subbed the story electronically, yes, and got a confirmation? Status online says "received"? If all those then yes, I think they're just slow right now.

namejohn

Registered
Reaction score
Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine is a disappointment for me. It's like there's to much publicity for the stories, I have seen in the magazine.
I have seen much better stories at other places.
Two or three years ago I sent something to then. In a couple of months I got back instructions on how to format a story. It was the story was to be formatted, as it would be written on paper, so it would be easy to edit, compared easy to read. Because of this I have nothing to do with Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. I don't even look at it any more, while I use to buy a copy now and then.
I don't care for the publicity end of stuff so much.
If the story is good, that's all I care about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.