Scarlet Amaryllis in bloom

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Producer Wants Synopsis, But I Already Gave It to Him

Producer Wants Synopsis, But I Already Gave It to Him

Hey, how would you handle this? I sent an email query to a producer, and OMG he actually replied, stating he wants to see the synopsis. But, I included a synopsis in my email to him. Hmm. Should I assume he didn't read past the subject line of the email, or maybe the logline? (Email: Hi, wanna read my script; logline; synopsis; briefest of bios; thanks.) Or, does this mean he wants a longer synopsis? Or does this mean he's an idiot? (He has actual credits.)

Any advice how to handle. I'm afraid to say, "Well, I sent you a synopsis before, but here it is again."

Also, considering what a black hole emailing a query for a screenplay is, I gotta say it's cool to at least get a reply that doesn't say, "We reject anything unsolicited, even a crappy logline!"

Thanks!
    Last edited by SJWangsness; 02-23-2017 at 11:42 PM.

Just a quick update. Another producer has asked to see the whole script. That's 2 semi-positive responses to 100 queries. Two whole percent! Woo-hoo!

banned as an incurable tosspot
    2% is better than 0

Get it off! It burns! Dennis E. Taylor's Avatar
    I'd send the original synopsis with a carefully non-committal comment, like, "This is my prepared synopsis for this work. Please let me know if you'd like a more detailed version, or clarification of specific sections."
    Formerly Angry Guy.

Speak the truth, but not to punish

---
    Website/Blog: www.dennisetaylor.org

Sounds good. Thanks!

How long was the synopsis in the email? He may be looking for a detailed synopsis.

It was a paragraph. Yes, confusing. But if he'd wanted a detailed synopsis, why didn't he ask for it? Anyway, I did as Dennis E. Taylor suggested. I sent him a reinforced, but still brief, synopsis, and offered to send a more detailed one if he wanted. We'll see what happens.
    Last edited by SJWangsness; 02-25-2017 at 12:33 AM.

practical experience, FTW
    My guess is he wanted something longer. A one paragraph synopsis let's you know what the story is ABOUT - but it doesn't relate what the story IS.

The one paragraph thingy we put in queries is more like a blurb. When a synopsis is requested, they want a detailed blow-by-blow of everything that happens in the story from beginning to end. Synopsises are often several pages long.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin JJKHawaiian's Avatar
    Congratulations on getting some attention. Hopefully, it produces an actual deal.

A synopsis several pages long? I thought a paragraph or two is what length a synopsis should be. That's based on years of reading synopsis's on movie boxes and online movie listings. I guess I was wrong. What do I know? I'm just a newbie writer.

A 2 hour movie for a producer, I guess you want to lengthen it to at least a page. Maybe he wants to make sure your screenplay fits his budget or whatever. However, surely not a blow-by-blow, beginning to end version. That's what the script is for?

What I have researched is the logline is to whet their appetite. The synopsis is to give them a glimpse into the storyline introducing the hero and goal, along with the protagonist. If your story is complex, then yeah, a little more information, especially if there are strong subplots.

I still have much to learn, I suppose, which is why I'm starting my graduate MFA in screenplay and script writing in January.
    John Hamilton

Email: jjkhawaiian@gmail.com
    Facebook: facebook.com/jjkhawaiian
    Twitter: twitter.com/jjkhawaiian