Producer Wants Synopsis, But I Already Gave It to Him

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, how would you handle this? I sent an email query to a producer, and OMG he actually replied, stating he wants to see the synopsis. But, I included a synopsis in my email to him. Hmm. Should I assume he didn't read past the subject line of the email, or maybe the logline? (Email: Hi, wanna read my script; logline; synopsis; briefest of bios; thanks.) Or, does this mean he wants a longer synopsis? Or does this mean he's an idiot? (He has actual credits.)

Any advice how to handle. I'm afraid to say, "Well, I sent you a synopsis before, but here it is again."

Also, considering what a black hole emailing a query for a screenplay is, I gotta say it's cool to at least get a reply that doesn't say, "We reject anything unsolicited, even a crappy logline!"

Thanks!

Last edited:

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
Just a quick update. Another producer has asked to see the whole script. That's 2 semi-positive responses to 100 queries. Two whole percent! Woo-hoo!

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd send the original synopsis with a carefully non-committal comment, like, "This is my prepared synopsis for this work. Please let me know if you'd like a more detailed version, or clarification of specific sections."

SJWangsness

An unknown known
Registered
Reaction score
It was a paragraph. Yes, confusing. But if he'd wanted a detailed synopsis, why didn't he ask for it? Anyway, I did as Dennis E. Taylor suggested. I sent him a reinforced, but still brief, synopsis, and offered to send a more detailed one if he wanted. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:

DevelopmentExec

Registered
Reaction score
My guess is he wanted something longer. A one paragraph synopsis let's you know what the story is ABOUT - but it doesn't relate what the story IS.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
The one paragraph thingy we put in queries is more like a blurb. When a synopsis is requested, they want a detailed blow-by-blow of everything that happens in the story from beginning to end. Synopsises are often several pages long.

JJKHawaiian

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on getting some attention. Hopefully, it produces an actual deal.

A synopsis several pages long? I thought a paragraph or two is what length a synopsis should be. That's based on years of reading synopsis's on movie boxes and online movie listings. I guess I was wrong. What do I know? I'm just a newbie writer.

A 2 hour movie for a producer, I guess you want to lengthen it to at least a page. Maybe he wants to make sure your screenplay fits his budget or whatever. However, surely not a blow-by-blow, beginning to end version. That's what the script is for?

What I have researched is the logline is to whet their appetite. The synopsis is to give them a glimpse into the storyline introducing the hero and goal, along with the protagonist. If your story is complex, then yeah, a little more information, especially if there are strong subplots.

I still have much to learn, I suppose, which is why I'm starting my graduate MFA in screenplay and script writing in January.