Coffee Jello and a Question about Knox

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I found the simplest recipe for coffee jello.

1 cup of boiling water
1 cup of cold coffee
1 envelope of Knox Gelatin

The result isn't a total failure but I can't seem to get the gelatin stable enough for cubing though. I do notice that if I try to dissolve the gelatin while the water is still hot, there's always a big globule of gelatin swirling around in the bowl.

Should I dissolve the gelatin while the water is on the stove? Any ideas on what I can do to present it as those neat little cubes?

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
I don't normally use Knox, but I think you're supposed to dissolve it before the liquid is hot. So I think mix it in the cold coffee before mixing into the hot water? And add more gelatin if you want it firmer.

NateSean

Vulcan/Time Lord Hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
why do you want coffee jello?

It's a New England thing, apparently.

Ah, bingo. :)

I don't normally use Knox, but I think you're supposed to dissolve it before the liquid is hot. So I think mix it in the cold coffee before mixing into the hot water? And add more gelatin if you want it firmer.

I'll try it tonight with the candy cane coffee and let everyone know how it went. (If I die in a gelatin related explosion, remember me as firm but bouncy)

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I've had slightly sweetened milk jello before. I thought it was neat. Most of the other people were weirded out.

If you like ice cream but can't stand cold on your teeth it's worth a try