Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I'm probably on the same schedule as you, CJ. I have one last scene that's giving me issues on the edits, then a quick read-through to make sure it looks good and I haven't forgotten anything obvious. The rest is all ready to go.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
Well I'm in. I'm still doing a bit of tinkering here and there in the later parts of my MS, but the first chapter is set and it could be sent out as a full right now so I went for it! I also made some last minute mentor switches, so hopefully that wasn't a mistake.

I'm quite happy with this MS, and although I am realistic about my odds in PW, at least it motivated me to get this edit done sooner. :)

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted as soon as the sub portal opened. I thought that'd mean I could concentrate on my real work, but I was wrong! Those #pwteasers are killer.

Yeah, I had to stop paying attention to those. Just started stressing me out and doing bad things to my stomach.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
You could @ Brenda. She was letting people know yesterday if they got in. I feel like if there was a problem attaching, it'd be a known problem by now

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I can still do this...

But gettin' stressed.

One of the mentors posted a spreadsheet and "logline" is one of the things she rates on there. Does anyone know - should we be putting a logline in our queries? I have a logline / pitch, but the directions said we don't need that for the submission, just have it ready. And the logline messes with my query.

Thoughts?

And is this a crappy logline or okay?

Seventeen-year-old Gabe Giordano will do anything to be better than his mobster dad, even rescue the mob's trafficked kids, whatever the cost.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
A logline is something that a lot of people add to queries because they think they're supposed to do so...and almost always they don't do the job. There is no part of the submission form that includes a logline. If you have one, it will be part of your query. If you know a mentor you like wants one, you might consider using one at the top of your query. If not, don't stress about it.

CJ, that's fine, but I would avoid the cliche of "whatever the cost."

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
A logline is something that a lot of people add to queries because they think they're supposed to do so...and almost always they don't do the job. There is no part of the submission form that includes a logline. If you have one, it will be part of your query. If you know a mentor you like wants one, you might consider using one at the top of your query. If not, don't stress about it.

CJ, that's fine, but I would avoid the cliche of "whatever the cost."

Thanks, Sage, this is all helpful!

You're completely right about the cliché. The logline reads stronger without it and I guess it's already implied there will be a cost based on what it is he's doing. So I'm just going with:

Seventeen-year-old Gabe Giordano will do anything to be better than his mobster dad, even rescue the mob's trafficked kids.

sockycat

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone do the donation option where you get to pick two extra mentors? I'm sorely tempted.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Did anyone do the donation option where you get to pick two extra mentors? I'm sorely tempted.

I've been thinking about doing it. The AW member who encouraged me to enter Pitch Wars donated and got the two extra mentors (I'd give him a shout out, but I never know if people like to be named, so I don't without permission). It seems too easy to pick the wrong 4 and none of those 4 connect with your characters, story or style.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score

I did that last year, actually. Didn't work out for me. Neither of the extra mentors I picked showed interest in my manuscript, but I got requests from my original "free" picks. But that was my experience. Yours may be better.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I decided in the end to do it, not just because it meant I didn't have to narrow down my picks quite as much, but because Pitch Wars has helped a lot of people, and donating is cool (and tax deductible).

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
I decided in the end to do it, not just because it meant I didn't have to narrow down my picks quite as much, but because Pitch Wars has helped a lot of people, and donating is cool (and tax deductible).

I TOTALLY did not know this.

Dammit.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Holy, you guys are on the ball! I won't be subbing until near the end (I've never been so overrun in my life!).

Congratulations to all those who've finished a revision in time to submit. If nothing else, that's such a fantastic accomplishment. :)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
The chapters not attaching is a known problem - it's fixed now, but the server went a bit wonky in the initial stampede! You'll be contacted if we didn't get your pages.

Good luck guys, it'd be great to see an AW-er find a mentor.

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations to all those who've finished a revision in time to submit. If nothing else, that's such a fantastic accomplishment. :)

Thanks and this is how I'm looking at it. I know I'd still be so much further back in my revisions if I weren't faced with this deadline.

The chapters not attaching is a known problem - it's fixed now, but the server went a bit wonky in the initial stampede! You'll be contacted if we didn't get your pages.

Good luck guys, it'd be great to see an AW-er find a mentor.

Thank you, PeteMC! Yep, I'm hoping at least one of us here finds a mentor. Rooting for all of you/us!

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks and this is how I'm looking at it. I know I'd still be so much further back in my revisions if I weren't faced with this deadline.
Deadlines are the best!

CJSimone

Registered
Reaction score
I told myself I wouldn't obsess, but I submitted over a day ago and no requests soooo :Shrug:

It doesn't have to mean anything yet. I saw some saying they're not requesting anything until this weekend. And lots seem to have a "maybe" pile.

borogove

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not submitting but just wanted to pop in to wish you guys good luck! I've been watching the PW madness unfold on Twitter, and I'm super excited for everyone.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
None of mine are giving teasers and at least one team has said that they aren't requesting until all the subs are in.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Mine haven't given any teasers about entries they like either, and there have only been about a handful of tweets on the main # from all of them combined since the sub window opened. I don't know what's worse - radio silence or tweets you can obsess about, wondering if they relate to *your* entry, lol. Still, it's entertaining to read the other mentors' teasers and see how inventive they get to baffle/delight/tease/torment us! :greenie

ETA: No requests for me so far - not sure whether mine are requesting once the sub window closes/if they're waiting until the weekend to start/they prefer other entries to mine (they haven't indicated either way & might just be concentrating on reading all their entries for now).

Last edited:

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Mine haven't given any teasers about entries they like either, and there have only been about a handful of tweets on the main # from all of them combined since the sub window opened. I don't know what's worse - radio silence or tweets you can obsess about, wondering if they relate to *your* entry, lol. Still, it's entertaining to read the other mentors' teasers and see how inventive they get to baffle/delight/tease/torment us! :greenie
OMG the #PWTeaser hashtag is driving me mad! I haven't even subbed yet, but I'm reading about how the mentors I like LOVE this concept and love that concept. It's so nerve-wracking! Haha.

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Don't stress - lots of mentors aren't making requests yet, and the radio silence just means we're swamped and too busy to Tweet much! The sub window isn't even closed yet and I've had well over 100 already...

Status
Not open for further replies.