Pitch Wars 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else aiming to have their manuscript ready for Pitch Wars 2017 (in August)? Perhaps we could use this thread to talk about preparing and keep each other on track. :)

Edit (July 2, 2017):

You can find more info on Pitch Wars here: http://www.brenda-drake.com/pitch-wars/

Brenda Drake has released all of the details for this year's Pitch Wars: http://www.brenda-drake.com/2017/06/pitch-wars-2017-details/

Edit (July 30, 2017):

Pitch Wars now has its own website. Mentors have been announced and you can select which ones you'd like to pitch to.

Remember, the submission window for Pitch Wars is open from August 2-6, 2017.

Edit (August 3, 2017):

The PitchWars submission window is now open!

Last edited:

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
You know, that's a fairly good goal. I may join you. :) I need something to shove me to the finish line for edits.
Amazing! If you're looking for a motivation buddy, feel free to PM me or we can hang on this thread. :)

Last edited:

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Really, I'm in the phase of getting feedback from CPs, so there isn't a whole heck of a lot I can do without their feedback. It's at that stage where I don't know how to fix it myself, you know? I'm hoping to get three people to help me go through it before August. How about you? What stage are you at?

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Oh, I know exactly what you mean. I've had a pair of fantastic betas from here who gave me new direction, but I'm intimidated to go back after so long and make the necessary rewrites. "What if I can't match the voice again?" "What if this doesn't work?" etc. I know it's silly. I've done it before with this same story, but I've been letting those concerns paralyze me needlessly. Once it's done, though, it'll be the complete third draft.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
That's interesting. I feel you on the rewrite thing (it's so daunting, isn't it?) but my favourite part of the editing process has definitely been getting feedback from other writers. I so love engaging with other people about my writing (and theirs, in turn). It's just so refreshing to have writers as readers--they offer so much more constructive criticism than readers do, I've found.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh yeah, it's so scary to wait to hear what other people have to say, but also so enlightening. I'm editing a short story for the sci-fi/fantasy story swap right now based on commentary from my local writing group. They came up with points I never would have considered myself. Same with my novel betas. Of course, my favorite comments from betas are "I love this!" XD

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
So agree. Balance is key. I want to know what to fix, but I also encourage that little pick-me-up that says "You're not crazy, this is good."

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I am definitely in. I need a deadline or I tend to procrastinate quiet a bit. Let's motivate each other!

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome! Glad to have you on board, Ninka. :)

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Oh I am definitely in. I need a deadline or I tend to procrastinate quiet a bit. Let's motivate each other!
Where are you at in your novel? What kind of pace are you working at? :)

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So, Ninka, just so we know for motivational purposes, where are you in your novel, completion-wise?

edit: Ahahaha, Bree, looks like we had the exact same thought at the exact same time. :roll:

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
I am editing and re-writing and editing and re-writing. It is never ending. Sometimes it feels that I am really close to being done, but then I wake up with a new idea and start all over. I have two betas lines up, waiting for me to send them my novel. To be honest, I am hoping to be completely done by June-July.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
I am editing and re-writing and editing and re-writing. It is never ending. Sometimes it feels that I am really close to being done, but then I wake up with a new idea and start all over. I have two betas lines up, waiting for me to send them my novel. To be honest, I am hoping to be completely done by June-July.
I find that setting a hard deadline really helps with alleviating this. If you have a deadline you have to make, the endless rewriting has to come to an end. Meeting that deadline becomes more important than rewriting that scene that might not need rewriting (especially if you've been at the rewriting for a while).

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else thinking of participating in Pitch Wars?

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
You've got this Maggie! Do you have weekly goals you're trying to hit?

arikdiver

Making magic with words
Registered
Reaction score
I was planning to try and have my book redrafted and edited (for the gazillionth time) by July. It's not a firm deadline. Pitch wars in August would be a good goal for me and may actually force me to complete it to a point I am happy to finally let it go. I have already had the first half critted elsewhere so I know it's solid, but I keep changing my mind on the ending. This will force me to pick one and stick to it. It would be good to go through this process with others to keep me accountable. :)

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Weekly goals, not so much. What I need to do is go back and look at the remainder of my beta comments and refresh my memory of what's left to do, then make monthly schedules based on that. Or maybe I'll just push myself to finish during Camp NaNo in April. :tongue NaNo tend to do me good.

BreeC

Registered
Reaction score
I was planning to try and have my book redrafted and edited (for the gazillionth time) by July. It's not a firm deadline. Pitch wars in August would be a good goal for me and may actually force me to complete it to a point I am happy to finally let it go. I have already had the first half critted elsewhere so I know it's solid, but I keep changing my mind on the ending. This will force me to pick one and stick to it. It would be good to go through this process with others to keep me accountable. :)
Welcome to the thread! Happy to motivate whenever you need it. Deadlines work really well to keep you on track. Perhaps a firm one is just what you need. :)

Weekly goals, not so much. What I need to do is go back and look at the remainder of my beta comments and refresh my memory of what's left to do, then make monthly schedules based on that. Or maybe I'll just push myself to finish during Camp NaNo in April. :tongue NaNo tend to do me good.

Sounds like a terrific plan! NaNo's great as long as you have good buddies to help you out. Maybe we could make a cabin if enough people are interested?

Status
Not open for further replies.