Fiction Writer Looking To Get In To Copywriting

Kube

Fresh Meat For The Grinder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinmkelly.com
Writing fiction is my passion and I've been told I'm not bad at it. I've even had some reasonable success. Unfortunately, these successes haven't been financial.

I've recently decided that I need a career while I pursue my fiction. Considering the fact that my only even semi-marketable skill is the written word, I've decided to try my hand at freelancing. Specifically, I would like to get in to copywriting with an eye toward SEO. I've been reading a lot online, but most sites I've visited focus more on getting clients than doing the actual work. Can anyone recommend some good sites on the actual writing aspect of copywriting? I'd be willing to pay to take a course if that's what it takes.

I've dabbled in article writing before, but this feels like something new and I would hate to take on a client and not be able to deliver. How do I know what the client wants? Do I just ask? Am I overthinking it? It seems most people recommend just jumping in with both feet. At times it seems too easy so I feel like there must be something I'm missing.

Or maybe I'm just being my usual neurotic self.