Soul Food Coolbook And An Amazing Woman

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
This is the first and only thread I've started in this forum, but I found it fascinating on many levels.
Princess Pamela didn’t let just anyone into her restaurant. She ran her Little Kitchen out of her railroad apartment in an Alphabet City walkup, one floor above a Chinese takeout joint with an eleven-fingered delivery boy.
(I lived in Alphabet City in NYC for a time in the sixties. It was east of the East Village, and a very rough neighborhood indeed.)

https://food52.com/blog/18949-she-was-a-soul-food-sensation-then-19-years-ago-she-disappeared

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Facinating and sad. So many missing pages in her story. :(

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I've asked my local indie bookstore to order me a copy. I love cookbooks and read them like novels.

MM

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I got my copy, and it is amazing. The little poems and words of wisdom, and the spareness of the recipes. I say spare because there is little in the way of measurements. Which is the way most of us cook (among cooks I know) anyway.

Beyond that the production values are beyond first class. Hard back, but the pages are printed on card stock weight paper. A real treasure.

MM