What books do you regularly reread (since becoming an adult)?

SeattleSounders

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of Chinese fantasy lately. A lot of fan translations and official translations of them have been popping up in the last 2 years or so.

JCornelius

Banned
Reaction score
I'm reading a lot of Chinese fantasy lately. A lot of fan translations and official translations of them have been popping up in the last 2 years or so.
What about the sci-fi? Have you tried The Three Body Problem? I was very surprised at the level.
On a related note, I'd recommend to all historical detective lovers the exploits of medieval Chinese detective Judge Dee by Robert van Gulik.
And, as always when I get an opening, David Wingrove's Game-of-Throney epic saga about a future dominated by a medieval-cyber-intrigue-punk Chinese civilization.

Last edited:

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
The Hobbit & Lord Of The Rings (also the BBC Radio adaption, which was fantastic).
Brian Aldiss, Helliconia
Peter Dickinson, The Weathermonger

CLEasterwood

Registered
Reaction score
Anne Rice's The Mummy or Ramses the D**ned. My first copy has been through 20 years of being read every year. Held up pretty good for a paperback. Can't wait until November when the Passion of Cleopatra is released........

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
Right now, got an obsession with Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell and How I Live Now by Meg Rosoff... think both books are just, beautiful - perfect - insert wonderful adjective here -

sideshowdarb

Registered
Reaction score
Frankenstein, probably. I re-read a lot of Joyce and Woolf, depending on my mood. Lately though, I've been going back to Alan Moore, especially his Swamp Thing run.

Jeff Bond

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeffbondbooks.com
I'll second The Corrections, and add War and Peace. It's amazing how well a scene with Natasha dancing or Nikolai gambling endure for modern readers. On a reread of course there's plenty of historical theory to skim, but the characterizations are freshly magnificent each time.

JoyceAernouts

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.smalltownjoyce.wordpress.com
HARRY POTTER, every year, just before September. No idea why, I think it has to do with the whole school-starts-again vibe that goes around at that time. Usually I also reread Pride & Prejudice (Jane Austen) and Graceling and/or Fire (Kristin Cashore).

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read The Clan of the Cave Bear trilogy about 3x in the last 30yrs. But her last novel took me forever to read, what turned me off is when she talks about Ayla and how she is so in tune with her babies movements because of her time with the clan blah blah blah....no.....its called being a mother, most mothers are in tune with their babies and their needs. I did so many eye rolls and found it so hard to read.

ok sorry for the sidebar rant :)

EmilyEmily

Registered
Reaction score
I reread the Anne of Green Gables series.

Also, I Capture the Castle and The Secret History.

They are my comfort books.

Maximillion

Registered
Reaction score
Usually if I need to analyze a fight scene I'll reread some of the Star Wars novelizations, mostly the Revenge of the Sith and the Shatterpoint novels. But sometimes I'll get caught up in it and reread the whole thing. Whoops!